qol catalog Let's talk QoL!

Zahlea

Can we take a moment to think about QoL from both sides of the spectrum. While i understand this is exactly what @Cedric asked for i would also like to propose looking at current QoL changes and maybe remove some of them to see if overall game play improves. 

While i want to touch on this briefly i do want to mention this because it is obviously big and shows every developer that to much of a good thing is actually a bad thing. Look at Wow classics success vs the success of retail WoW. As WoW got bigger and bigger so did the complaints about QoL changes. As time went on Blizzard implemented more and more QoL changes to the point where interaction in a multiplayer game was not needed. Social interaction was the reason the majority went to play Classic now people are understanding classic while not a better game overall it was filled with social activities and mechanics that actually benefited the community as a whole not just the individual player.

If you end up making it where playing solo is more beneficial on official servers than playing as a group you ruined any reason to even play multiplayer servers in the first place. The more people do not have to rely on each other for progression the more people do not talk to each other or help others in game.

While i want to get in to the Ark classic servers this is not the thread for that so i will let that be for now.

On 9/17/2019 at 4:23 PM, GrumpyBear said:

I'm not sure how I feel about the anky auto swinging.  I get why, and I have a couple hundred of them  so I understand the pain of harvesting w/ them solo.  Though to be honest, it would make farming metal on maps other than aberration worthwhile.

Transmitter launching of boss fights would be a godsend on aberration, as well as people wouldn't have to jockey for room at the obelisks.

They used to have auto-swing, it was removed to encourage people to tribe up in the old days. I still remember the facepalm I did when I saw that.

Now I use a mod, but that bugs ankys in the transmitter, and the transmitter grays out any bugged dino forever, so I get to look at my best two ankys and two full-color event ankys sitting in the tran forever now. 

@Oli4@Slippy, @Garet@HigherFlyer and @Uskaanax : Please note that this post is not for new suggestions. This is only to discuss the suggestions already on the list. To make new suggestions, go to the Suggestions forum!

2 hours ago, Uskaanax said:

I just want the password field on server join to submit when enter is pressed, and to also have a checkbox for password remembrance, sort of like every website or program in the world.

I very much agree and actually posted that in the suggestions forum.

On 9/18/2019 at 11:16 PM, Garet said:

" Client option to disable Tail movment swing? "  How about we fix the "tractor beam" effect that dino tails have?

[...]

" Breeding Balance: Make breeding less time consuming "  I would like to see all rates boosted, but again I think I would be voted down.  Time spent ≠ difficulty.

" Make only flags preserve land and limit to 50 flags per tribe per server "   Do not like.

" Transfer tributes to other maps or remove tributes from maps that they are useless on " Please do.

" Hold "E" To Dismount Option. "  REALLY REALLY do NOT want this.  I understand the frustration of trying to open & close doors while on a dino, but I need to be able to quickly dismount my rock drake to grab a beacon, or a rock drake egg and get right back on.  I do not want to give a Reaper a chance to spawn because I have to hold 'e' to dismount.  Why not just use the attack button to open doors?  Who is going to try and attack their own door anyways?

I agree - I would much rather see a fix to being pushed around by tails. Maybe we should make a new suggestion about that?

Super agree on "Time spent ≠ difficulty". That's all I wanted to say :P I play on a dedicated server so I can fix it. But yeah, I feel that's a general design choice in the game that I don't agree with.

What is your argument against the flags change? I actually thought that was a pretty good solution to pillaring.

I agree that I'd much rather see a different key bind for dismounting. Attacking the door is one way of solving it! Although, may allies attack their allied tribes' structures? In that case it might be a problem.
If not: Is Z or X used when flying? Or G, V, R? It would be so much better to have a separate key - that you could rebind, than having the same use key or even hold. But to me, that don't have the same need to quickly dismount, even holding the use key is superior to the current behaviour that sometimes makes it nigh impossible to open doors when in the air.

46 minutes ago, Zahlea said:

@Oli4@Slippy, @Garet@HigherFlyer and @Uskaanax : Please note that this post is not for new suggestions. This is only to discuss the suggestions already on the list. To make new suggestions, go to the Suggestions forum!

I very much agree and actually posted that in the suggestions forum.

I agree - I would much rather see a fix to being pushed around by tails. Maybe we should make a new suggestion about that?

Super agree on "Time spent ≠ difficulty". That's all I wanted to say :P I play on a dedicated server so I can fix it. But yeah, I feel that's a general design choice in the game that I don't agree with.

What is your argument against the flags change? I actually thought that was a pretty good solution to pillaring.

I agree that I'd much rather see a different key bind for dismounting. Attacking the door is one way of solving it! Although, may allies attack their allied tribes' structures? In that case it might be a problem.
If not: Is Z or X used when flying? Or G, V, R? It would be so much better to have a separate key - that you could rebind, than having the same use key or even hold. But to me, that don't have the same need to quickly dismount, even holding the use key is superior to the current behaviour that sometimes makes it nigh impossible to open doors when in the air.

Oops my bad, thought you wanted to talk QoL in general.

On 9/20/2019 at 4:03 AM, Zahlea said:

D!nk already outlined the issues with the suggestion forum and Cedric intimated his desire to have an open discussion.  WC doesn't pay attention to these forums.  I don't have a Twitter account.  I don't want a Twitter account.  I don't have a Reddit account.  I don't want a Reddit account.  I'm going to take advantage while we have WC's ear.

On 9/20/2019 at 4:03 AM, Zahlea said:

@Oli4@Slippy, @Garet@HigherFlyer

Because the only real problem with the pillar system is the same problem that's going to happen with the flag system:   Abuse.

The pillar system is fine.  Most of the time the people who have an issue with the pillar system either don't understand or don't care about the reason for them.  Reporting abuse is an issue because WC is heavy handed and you're basically giving that tribe a potential death sentence in the form of a total wipe.  The correct fix to the pillar system is having an enforcement team that judges the situation and asks WHY the person pillared that area, and then removes said pillars without doing a complete wipe, but that will never happen.

The second issue I have with the flag system is simply this.  EVERY new system that comes out from WC has a set of issues.  I'd rather deal with the enemy I know now than bring on the potential of an unknown enemy.

On 9/17/2019 at 7:51 AM, Zahlea said:
  • Insects should be able to breed <- !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ❤️❤️❤️ 

I don't like this one either.  Where is the balance?  What you're really asking for is mutations.  We have colored events for colors.  Mutations are stat increases.  We gonna have mantis that can one hit an element vein for 20k element now?  Basilisks that an carry 50k ingots?   This is supposed to be qualitiy of life.  Not making the game easier.  Not the same thing.

1 hour ago, Garet said:

I don't like this one either.  Where is the balance?  What you're really asking for is mutations.  We have colored events for colors.  Mutations are stat increases.  We gonna have mantis that can one hit an element vein for 20k element now?  Basilisks that an carry 50k ingots?   This is supposed to be qualitiy of life.  Not making the game easier.  Not the same thing.

About Mantis, people now choose quantity over quality with Element Veins.  They can farm an absolute ton of Element in a very very short amount of time!  If the issue is gathering bloat, we are basically there already because tribes can just hit back-to-back nodes and fill a vault.  Bred Mantids wouldn't throw that much off balance:  People would just farm fewer nodes with an imprinted Mantis.  Also, a Basilisk with only 35000 weight (with full imprint and every domesticated level given to weight) has over 120 points in weight.  Its not IMPOSSIBLE to achieve, but only after a very long time of breeding.  So 50k, while it was your hyperbole-based example, is approaching impossibility!

I think it would add extra spice to the flavor of ARK.

EDIT:  Also, think of the use it would add to other dinos!  Araneo?  Now worth taming!  Same with Scorp, and the others!

On 9/21/2019 at 4:40 PM, Garet said:

D!nk already outlined the issues with the suggestion forum and Cedric intimated his desire to have an open discussion.  WC doesn't pay attention to these forums.  I don't have a Twitter account.  I don't want a Twitter account.  I don't have a Reddit account.  I don't want a Reddit account.  I'm going to take advantage while we have WC's ear.

I started the post. I'm not gonna apologise for calling out off topic. Also, I very much doubt that any by-the-way suggestions a user makes in one thread are going to make the list unless they already had it on their radar. But I wish you luck! Just write your own post :)

14 hours ago, Garet said:

I see your point! What you might not realise is our very different perspectives. You seem to play on official or at least a crowded server with a lot of trading and far gone breeding lines. I play on a dedicated server where I want to breed for stats so not actually looking for mutations specifically. I would be very happy with it as a setting as well, as I have the luxury of being able to tweak my server to my liking. However, it would be such a big change I doubt they'll implement it if it's just gonna be for a setting and not on officials.

About the rest, I do believe @TheDonn put it very nicely and I have little else to add. There might be a total balance-overhaul needed. Maybe another beta :) It wouldn't be a small task though and ruffle a lot of feathers!

QOL suggestion

I would love to see Karkinos lay eggs, I play on an Aberration server as it is my favorite map to date. Trying to make exceptional kibble to get good Spinos and Karks is nearly impossible. Even if I do manage to tame a few low level Basilisks, their egg laying rate is horrible. Crabs lay eggs so it’s not like it’s a stretch to give Karkinos eggs so we have a more reliable source on Abberation. 
I hope someone takes this in to account. 

On 9/22/2019 at 1:12 PM, Garet said:

Can carry 50k in your pocket♡.♡

20 hours ago, TheDonn said:

@Cedric, any good news about the QoL catalog items?  I know its only been ~13 days but any chance we'll see some of them queued or not considered soon?  And its not a huge deal, but "Archived" is still there instead of "Seen" on the spreadsheet, good sir.  Any news would be better than no news!

Thanks for bringing it up. I've thought the same. Definitely not a big deal, it's just me being excited and refreshing the page every day or two ? . If I may suggest @Cedric, it would also be amazing if we were allowed to see the version history and then we could see when things were added to the list or changed status (if Google Spreadsheets even allow to see the version history without being able to edit ? )

• 3 months later...

Just catching up on QOL stuff and something else struck me.  Reaper queens.  Can we please for the love of everything make it so the wild ones die if they borrow under water.  There is always one d bag that leads  them into the water either cause they cant kill them or to be a d***.  the queens then sit there until someone kills them which is almost impossible in some spots or until server resets.

Archived