qol catalog Let's talk QoL!

Zahlea

Let's talk QoL!

Is it just me that is totally amazed by the QoL Catalog list by the devs? I realise that the list doesn't in any way mean things will make it to the game, but to me it's just so great getting confirmation of which features the devs are considering. Of course it'll be sad to see the features I really want listed as Not Considering, but it's still so much better to know that it won't make it in than to keep hoping and wishing... and pestering the devs about it ?

The different statuses are, quoted from the main post about this

What are the statuses?

Complete: We've completed and deployed the line item
Archived: It's an item that has been seen/discussed with the design and development team
New: It has not been seen by the design and development team
Queued: The development team likes the idea and will prioritize it to be included in the future.
Not Considering: The design and development team has seen the line item but will not be adding it.

So - if it hasn't been discussed, it's marked New, if it's not gonna happen, Not Considering, if it will happen eventually, Queued, but what does Archived mean? It has been seen, but not decided on? "Archived" sounds like it won't be revisited, so is that essentially the same as Not Considering? Anyone able to help me shed some light on what's intended?

What are you most excited about? For me the must haves are:

• Insects should be able to breed <- !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ❤️❤️❤️ 
  • Add glass tier structures from Structures+ <- !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ❤️❤️❤️ 
  • Add the ability to run boss fights from transmitters or the option to toggle that on private servers. <-  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ❤️❤️❤️ 

Other things that sound really exciting:

• Hold "E" To Dismount Option. (Although I would prefer a whole different key than the Use key that open doors, any change here is a huge improvement)
  • Smithy - Add ability to color and rename, and fix collision
  • Ability to paint fridges, chem bench, fabricator, smithy, troughs
  • Paintable Beds
  • Increase quetz speed to make them useful again
  • Have structures like the grinder, forge, grill etc. Able to connect to a generator, without having to put gas in aswel [sic]
  • Corner snap points on foundations for pillars so we don't have to use fence foundations please.
  • Clean up some hitboxes. A lot of dinos dont register hits on wings/etc
  • Give the Unicorn Color zones
  • Breeding Balance: Make breeding less time consuming
  • Rework the way you use refertalizer. It's literally a crap shoot if you're going to get back what you're trying to. (maybe showing you a outline of what was there w you place it in hotbar)
  • Make only flags preserve land and limit to 50 flags per tribe per server
  • More .ini configs
    Although, it doesn't say which ones :P But more customisation options are usually good.
  • Babies' footsteps should not be a as loud as the adult's
  • Cave tlc to add black pearls, fungal wood, rare mushrooms and flowers, salt crystals, red green blue gem or sap, sulfur & poly plants

I realise that quite a few of my options above are marked as Archived, but as I didn't get what that means, I'll include them anyway.

i don't like the flag idea, i've seen that method used in other games and it was a total fail, lost player base and the games slowly died.

There are a few games out there that use a special 'foundation' block rather then a flag, everything within that blocks range (if i had to compare to ark ranges, about med. range of the dino leash).  there are even a few that use these blocks and only stuctural pieces attached are protected, all other structural pieces have decay and can be damaged both online/offline.

When i think quality of life, its more Deco then anything, The one thing the dev's talked about doing, but never saw anything come of it was getting the Primitive Items in to the main game so that we had more choices of decorative parts to use like primitive ark, but haven't heard anything on that in ages.  I'd love to have different styles of smithy's, forges, etc.   And it would be nice to see more of the structures+ actually added to the game, i.e. stackable foundations, so that we can level out or floors without having to use pillars and ceilings.

Deco though, that would make it more fun for me, walking into my house and seeing the empty walls, vacant spaces as there's only so much you can do with what we currently have... and more deco items, that would prompt me to do a mind wipe more often, so i could learn the engrams to make the new items. 

Imagine, being able to build a house who's interior actually could look like... well... a house.  Or even build a village that has a small store, bar, restraunt, blacksmith, gunshop, that actually looked like those things inside rather then 'oh, okay another building with the same ol same ol', like i say, there's only so much we can do with what we currently have.

idk, i might be reaching, but being able to enrich our surroundings would make it much more playable for me.

I'm not sure how I feel about the anky auto swinging.  I get why, and I have a couple hundred of them  so I understand the pain of harvesting w/ them solo.  Though to be honest, it would make farming metal on maps other than aberration worthwhile.

Transmitter launching of boss fights would be a godsend on aberration, as well as people wouldn't have to jockey for room at the obelisks.

the ability to use the mana safely on the island would be an insane quality of life improvement.
or prevent wildlife glitching inside bases.
and there are more of such quality of life improvements that we all waited for, some even date back to the launch of ark itself.
i see good times ahead if they get finally addressed.

The list looks good, but I kinda feel the same as @Zahlea.  "Archived" seems like a back-burner status.  In terms of actual new information, @Cedric, that doesn't tell us a lot!  I remember a time when S+ was reported to get added to the game (Oct of 2017), and it evidently was put on the back-burner.  We waited almost two years for it to be taken off the back-burner, get processed the way WildCard wanted to have it integrated, and actually be integrated.  So...  I do NOT wanna sound ungrateful for the document about QoL, but what are the chances before the end of the year of seeing some of the "Archived" QoL proposals either Queued or Completed?

2 hours ago, Cedric said:

I'm hoping we can :)

I really wish we could but they're certain language or topics that are not allowed on this form boards. QoL unable to play in a tribe on official servers in fear of enforcement team. There's no way to guarantee my account security.  Unwilling to put the fate of my account into somebody else's hands when it comes to enforcement. The game is no longer a social game for me. so we talk about quality of life stuff in Ark all I can think about man it would be cool to be in a tribe again but reality is Solo life for me.

I might not have a bug or a certain glitch quality of life but this is still a quality-of-life issue

5 minutes ago, SCEDeadeye said:

I really wish we could but they're certain language or topics that are not allowed on this form boards. QoL unable to play in a tribe on official servers in fear of enforcement team. There's no way to guarantee my account security.  Unwilling to put the fate of my account into somebody else's hands when it comes to enforcement. The game is no longer a social game for me. so we talk about quality of life stuff in Ark all I can think about man it would be cool to be in a tribe again but reality is Solo life for me.

I might not have a bug or a certain glitch quality of life but this is still a quality-of-life issue

You fearing what should be feared is not a QoL issue. If you think everyone has cheaters in their tribes on official servers then do not play official. If you join a tribe and you think they are cheating stay in the tribe and report them that way if your account gets banned you can show the enforcement team you were playing the agent and get your account unbanned.

39 minutes ago, SassinPr0ph3cy said:

Is there a specific area or way to post ideas? that can hopefully make it to the list?

Only via suggestion forums. How the upvote system works is very flawed, though. Most of these suggestions were quickly posted when they did the change over (some are even stolen ideas from others) and benefit from when it was empty, getting most of the upvotes to be seen now for the last 6 months (thus getting more traction / upvotes / notice) 

Its hard to get a new suggestion upvoted enough due to visability. Noone wants to scroll through 5 pages of New suggestions which most are a repost of another someone was too lazy to search before for.

Ive said it before and ill say it again, you are a great discussion thread poster. @Zahlea

I see you went a little easier on the multi-colours, that is nice :D

I can honestly see most of these getting implemented in a timely manner. The new and improved dev team is smashing out the minor fixes. It may seem like a bit of a pump up to wildcard but praise should be given when earned. @Cedric has been doing great as new CM.

3 hours ago, Cedric said:

Does "Seen" work better than "Archived"?  Essentially I'm trying to indicate the dev team has seen the request but hasn't made a decision on it yet.

Hi Cedric, Yes seen would be a lot better then Archived. Archived makes it feel/sound like its been seen and discarded or put on the back burner.

38 minutes ago, Cedric said:

Sounds good.  I'll update the thread/sheet later today.

My opinion of a few:

Procoptodons on Ab:  Please...  That is my #1 all-time favorite dino.  They don't even have to be Aberrant, just let em be ported in.  Like using a non-native Pokemon that you transferred forward into B/W from Diamond.

Oviraptors on Ab:  Another good idea.  I love Aberration, and an Oviraptor would help egg production there, especially considering how tough it is to get Exceptional Kibble.  Still need it for imprints, and I really only play on Ab.

Giga bite Range:  Sounds good, its melee hits things at about the midpoint of its tail right now.  There are virtually zero melee-range weaknesses on a Giga, this would help a bit.  Not like, you can now kill them on foot or anything, but it would just shake things up and make people consider smarter ways to play.

Breedable Insects:  I really want this one...  But Ced, I don't know if this one should be on the list.  It would be a pretty big task to make this happen.  As much as I want to see it, I feel like it is due to be Not Considered.

Preset for Turrets:  Great idea.  When you are finally replacing with Heavies, it is a pain configuring all the turrets.

Manas on Ext only:  Good call.  They seem to vanish or die on other maps, as well as still being a big part of the META in any server they are allowed.

Grind all function on Grinder:  This would help the monotony that is mass-grinding.

I'm gonna go ahead and manually add:

DLCs/TLC/updates for Switch version.

17 hours ago, caleb68 said:

i don't like the flag idea, i've seen that method used in other games and it was a total fail, lost player base and the games slowly died.

[...]

When i think quality of life, its more Deco then anything,

Oh, really? That sounds bad. I just don't see the difference between putting down a flag and putting down a pillar. It's just putting down a structure either way, but flags are not as common and way easier to limit the amount of than pillars, where limiting the amount would really hurt creativity in building.While I'm really with you with the deco - I'd love to see more! - the way I see QoL, deco doesn't fit. To me, QoL is more tweaks to existing things to remove some of the repetition or annoying things you have to do.

10 hours ago, Cedric said:

Does "Seen" work better than "Archived"?  Essentially I'm trying to indicate the dev team has seen the request but hasn't made a decision on it yet.

Thanks for taking the time to give input! It would be better, yes, but all that is needed for me is a clarification in the original QoL post what it means. What I was after is exactly what you wrote in your second sentence. So whichever name you choose for it, would you please consider updating the QoL post with that descriptioin? :) 

7 hours ago, d1nk said:

Only via suggestion forums. How the upvote system works is very flawed, though. Most of these suggestions were quickly posted when they did the change over (some are even stolen ideas from others) and benefit from when it was empty, getting most of the upvotes to be seen now for the last 6 months (thus getting more traction / upvotes / notice) 

Its hard to get a new suggestion upvoted enough due to visability. Noone wants to scroll through 5 pages of New suggestions which most are a repost of another someone was too lazy to search before for.

I've thought the same many times. The only way to get away from the bottom of the list is if you happen to be in a big tribe with a lot of people with forum accounts and you tell them to upvote. Maybe a bit off topic, but I would love for filters as Steams "hot this week" or "hot this month", maybe even having the former as the default. That would give a lot more visibility to newer posts.

7 hours ago, d1nk said:

Ive said it before and ill say it again, you are a great discussion thread poster. @Zahlea

I see you went a little easier on the multi-colours, that is nice :D

Aawww, thanks ❤️ Hahaha, I've had the impression a lot of people don't read carefully when there's a lot of text, so I've been trying to counter it by colouring the tl;dr - maybe I've been going a bit too overboard ? I'll try to do better! :P 

A couple QoL I would like to see:

Tribewise:

• Make tribelog searchable
  • Make Tribelog filterable(make it possible to hide certain things from the tribelog, like killing 200 of your own baby dinos in a row will pretty much wipe the tribelog)
  • Create the option to leave notes for your tribemates in the tribelog

Chat:

• Make it possible to mute people
  • Make it possible to see chats from different character sets by default(currently the only way I know to see both english and russian/chinese/korean chat will make tek dedi box qty invisible)
  • Give us the option to filter specific words?(not really a high priority if we can mute people)
  • Multiple Ally chats, one per alliance group, currently it can be quite a mess(especially in pve) when you are in multiple ally groups and some are allied with others, so you only see half the conversation

Gameplay:

• Fix gasbag bug where they wont fly if they are too high(I notice this especially in The Center redwood waterfall cave, they cannot fly there, just crash right down)
  • Make large taxidermy bases have the same decay timer as wood structures(8 days) instead of thatch(4 days), considering they are fairly expensive compared to thatch structures. Or as long as Artifact pedestals(12days) since they are (kinda) the same thing
  • Make taxidermy structures snappable on eachother to make them lineup easier
  • Make it possible to add tek dedicated storage boxes to forges to easily withdraw/deposit raw metal/ingots(might be too OP since it is kinda like the S+ pulling method). Or even better: Make it possible to pull resources into the replicator from nearby tek dedicated storage boxes that are powered by a tek generator or make it cost 1-2 element per pull to prevent it being too OP maybe? sorry for the long weird sentence, I'll make it more readable later
  • Fix Managarmrs dying on Island
  • Would like procoptodons on Aberration
  • Bosses from Transmitters(maybe PvE only if it is too OP for pvp) to make it easier to do bosses when trolls are blocking the obelisks
  • Fix smithy glitches(weird build block) and make it colorable?
  • Make small storage boxes snap like tek dedicated boxes
  • Make fridges snap next to eachother to make it easier to line them up nicely
  • Make large storage boxes snap next to eachother to make it easier to line them up nicely
  • Make vaults snap next to eachother to make it easier to line them up nicely
  • Make troughs snap next to eachother to make it easier to line them up nicely
  • Cryopods:
    • Show saddle armor
    • Show imprint
    • Show XP gained since in pod
  • Make it so people can't withdraw resources from tek Dedicated boxes that aren't pinlocked anymore(currently in PVE you must pinlock your tek boxes or people can still withdraw/deposit items). Keep the deposit option available so people can still put things in
  • Add an alliance option that allows people to only place sleepingbags on or next to your structures, would be QoL for PvE trading
  • A tek chembench and cooker would be a nice addon, currently the chembench only holds 60 items and the cooker only 48
  • Give us a grind all option for all items in the grinder(currently you have to select them manually and grind them 1 by 1, which can be a bit of a tedious process if you have a lot of items you want to grind)
  • Tek fridges with larger capacity(You can somewhat use tek troughs for this but its far from ideal
  • Troughs:
    • Beehives can eat from (tek)trough
    • Only snails are able to eat veggie cakes from troughs, or dino's that are not full HP. Currently all dinos will eat veggie cakes from the trough, even when they are full HP. Would make it easier to keep snails(achatinas) fed
    • Make it possible to toggle what food dino's should prefer first. Currently they will always eat fish meat first, making it harder to raise certain dino's like Otters and Baryonyx between your other carnivore dinos
  • Make apex items transferable on PVE, I can understand why it was done for PvP reasons, but on PVE it would be nice to be able to transfer apex items again, maybe at a cost(like trade 20 apex items into 10 'noted' apex items that can be transfered across server)
  • Make it possible to fill/empty cropplots easier, for instance by giving you the option to deposit all fertilizer and take out all the veggies/berries that are inside
  • Prevent dinos from pooping on obelisk platforms, currently if they poop on the platform while starting a boss and you are standing under them you will probably not get teleported in, but the rexes will
  • Add S+ structures from island brood/megapithecus to center boss, they give the same element currently but the apex price is still twice as high(25 for each on center vs 10 on island for alpha)
  • Make (raw)meat stacks a bit bigger, for example 25 or 30, or make it last slightly longer in normal troughs(currently a stack of 20 will spoil in 10 hours), would make it a bit easier on people that are new to ark/don't have access to tek troughs
  • Make the ballcap skins non bugged again. Currently they can not be taken off a headpiece without disapearing, can't be taken out of the structure they are in(can't be dropped either). I know these skins are fairly rare(they were only handed out ~2years ago during a 2 day event) but I really like to wear them and I've lost quite a few already due to this bug and they are not getting refunded by support
  • Tame groups:
    • Add whistle option to Enable/disable mating on your selected tamegroup
    • Make it possible to assign a hotkey to add pointed add dino to tame group(currently you have to go through a couple of options before you can add a dino to a tame group)
    • Make it possible to add turrets(normal/heavy/tek) and plant X to tamegroups and give it the option to set a default profile for it(currently you have to configure each turret/plant manually)
  • Make it impossible to place teleporters underwater when not in tek compartments. Currently you can place a teleporter below water(it'll show green) but you cannot use it(will only show rename option)
  • Make it possible to learn to craft Element and shards on all servers, since you can get dust from tek creatures on all maps. Currently you can only learn the engram on extinction.
  • Fix the tek dedicated storage boxes when you put artifacts in. Currently if you have an artifact in your inventory and you use the withdraw option from the outside of the tekbox it will take one out of the box, but not in to you rinventory if you already have one.

ARK game client:

• Stop connecting to dead links on startup(such as arkdedicated.com/desktop/status/news.all.ini  while the actual link is arkdedicated.com/desktop/status/news.ini)
  • Depending on your languagepack you can not selectthe session filter, maybe make it possible to put the filter at the top of the client?
  •  

Green=added later after edit

I will add more later, but just wanted to save the post for now

In typical WC fashion, the list is bugged:

" Tek Helmet should make underwater clear"

" When wearing full TEK armor, it should ignores gas / radiation "

" Defense units should be harvestable"

These have already been implemented.   Pretty sure a lot of the others have been as well, like transferring oviraptors to Ab, giving each seed its own pictures, and hooking industrial cookers up to wells/resevoirs.

BUT.. I'd like to give a sincere thank you to Cedric for responding in this thread.  People post on these forums daily and Wildcard seems to ignore it.  These are the official forums, but you're more likely to get an actual WC response on twitter, or reddit, let alone information like news.  I've heard people say how its so much easier just to leave a message on Twitter... hmm... It's too bad, WC doesn't have access to a web site, and maybe a team of programmers that could develop that web site to make it user friendly and make responses easier.....  wait.

No, but I seriously, sincerely, and honestly, want to thank Cedric for responding to this thread and I hope he continues to do so.

On to the list....

"Remove the name pop up for claiming a new baby "      Don't understand this one?  Can someone tell me why this matters?

" Client option to disable Tail movment swing? "  How about we fix the "tractor beam" effect that dino tails have?

" Give the Unicorn Color zones "  Don't like it, but I would get voted down.  If you have to do it I would prefer solid colors rather than the stripes of the Equus (sp?)

" Allow kangaroos to be transfered into aberration "  I don't like it.  They don't fit in there.   I know why people want it, but we shouldn't just destroy themes just to make breeders happy.

" Lock manas to extinction "  LOVE this one.  Not only am I tired of hearing people talk about how they disappear on island, but it's a slap in the face when you work your tail off to get Rock Drakes and then watch someone cheese by on a mana that took them 30 mins to tame.

" Breeding Balance: Make breeding less time consuming "  I would like to see all rates boosted, but again I think I would be voted down.  Time spent ≠ difficulty.

" Make only flags preserve land and limit to 50 flags per tribe per server "   Do not like.

" Transfer tributes to other maps or remove tributes from maps that they are useless on " Please do.

" Hold "E" To Dismount Option. "  REALLY REALLY do NOT want this.  I understand the frustration of trying to open & close doors while on a dino, but I need to be able to quickly dismount my rock drake to grab a beacon, or a rock drake egg and get right back on.  I do not want to give a Reaper a chance to spawn because I have to hold 'e' to dismount.  Why not just use the attack button to open doors?  Who is going to try and attack their own door anyways?

" Allow all structures with inventories able to be locked/pincoded " " Option to allow tribe members/alliances to turn on/off things like campfires, etc "  Can you include catapults and cannons on this?  You have created creatures that require KO methods with cannon or catapult, but you don't allow people to use each others cannons/catapults, so the servers are littered with traps and new players often have to wait months for a space to open up to make one that may or may not even be near where these creatures spawn.  Fixing this would allow people to share or have even unlocked public traps on PVE, and possibly eliminate the need for a lot of the structures littering the landscapes on SE and Aberration.

" Option to disable flyers immediate take-off once mounting "  How about disabling auto landing on snow owls.   Its a terrible mechanic.  I can't attack a dilo, dodo, or lystro, because they're too close to the ground and the damn snow owl keeps trying to land.   Which may or may not be related to the bug where you put them on follow and they won't follow you on a flyer because they're trying to walk after you.

My QoL additions:

This will get voted down, but at this point, why can't we transfer element?   People are already transferring hundreds of tek structures, and hundreds of thousands of dust.  What is the point?

Can we please get snap points on behemoth gates and allow them to give the "house" bonus so it doesn't rain in my base anymore?

Can something be done about charge nodes on PVE?  I don't understand?  How are they meant to work? Are we supposed to carry 8 batteries with us to every charge node and wait 10 mins at each station for them to charge?   We tried leaving public batteries on my Ab server, but people keep stealing the batteries.  Can we eliminate the need for batteries in charge nodes and just let the charging station have its cooldown?

Can we have blueprints for the Stone Tier?  The new homestead long wall additions?  Etc.?

Speaking of blue prints, what good is a blueprint for a fabricator when the fabricator is a prerequisite for a number of lower tier engrams like wiring?  Can we clean up the engram prerequisites?

Again I believe this one will be voted down, but it would be nice if you would make tek troughs industrial, and add a better tek trough.  I don't understand how I can freeze a whole dinosaur and pop it out somewhere else intact, but I can't keep a steak from spoiling,. Why does a Tek Trough currently do the same cooling effect of a refrigerator.  Have you ever been to a supermarket?  Can't I just take the door off my fridge and let the dinos go crazy?

Can you please allow tree platforms on Ab?

Can you remove the inability to use fish baskets when they're near other people's structures?

Can you give an option to mute global chat?

That's all I got right now.

• Wildcard Community
21 hours ago, Garet said:

These have already been implemented.   Pretty sure a lot of the others have been as well, like transferring oviraptors to Ab, giving each seed its own pictures, and hooking industrial cookers up to wells/resevoirs.

Noted, I'll go through and mark some of these completed.  Thanks for calling this out.

Archived