15 minute warning for server update just not enough.

caleb68

11 hours ago, invincibleqc said:

Yes, they are referring to in-game notifications. In most cases 15 minutes is enough, but there are times where it isn't. For example, if a non-scheduled update occurs while you are mid Tek Cave then you are sure to lose all your dinos and inventories. Same if you just entered a boss arena, etc.

Think smartest plan would be to disable transfers and boss fight starts (maybe just disabling obselik/drop access) 30 minutes before update. 

That would give everybody time to finish normal boss fights and hopefully not cause Tek Cave/Rockwell issues. 

Some people will cry but whatever. They'll cry louder if they lose a whole boss army or character.

• Volunteer Moderator
31 minutes ago, yekrucifixion187 said:

Think smartest plan would be to disable transfers and boss fight starts (maybe just disabling obselik/drop access) 30 minutes before update. 

That would give everybody time to finish normal boss fights and hopefully not cause Tek Cave/Rockwell issues. 

Some people will cry but whatever. They'll cry louder if they lose a whole boss army or character.

If I was in charge of finding a solution for this, I think I would rather go with a more robust approach that would cover all instances of players losing progression because they were in an arena at the time of the save that is being loaded. I think the easiest approach to implement would be to simply save the following when an fight (bosses, tek cave, etc.) starts:

• Players and their inventories.
  • Tamed creatures and their inventories.
  • Tributes used to summon along with the player that initialized the fight.

Then, when the server loads a save while there was an active fight going on:

• Teleport all players and their tames out.
  • Reset their inventories.
  • Refund the tribute in the inventory of the player that summoned the boss.

That would not only prevent players from losing stuff due to a short-notice update, but would also prevent players from losing stuff in case the server crashes and rollback to a save where they were still in a fight making it a two birds one stone kind of fix. I think players would rather have to restart the fight entirely, rather than losing everything they had. Of course it would most likely need more brainstorming of the impacts such implementation could have, but maybe that's something @Cedric could throw at the team for discussion.

my main thing about the server restarts was the fact that the warning just wasn't a long enough warning, and sometimes after that message was displayed, the server didn't save anything from there to being restarted, ending up with getting a rollback that could potentially cause character deletion.  20 minutes does give ample time for the server to save and for people to know not to transfer to another server, but bossfights (though most are over in 5-10 minutes) and the Tek cave (which I've seen take the full hour depending on the party) has the potential to make players lose dino's and their gear, but least they'd still have their character.

Still even with the 20 minute notice, there is only 1 sometimes 2 more messages in-between, it would be better if it:

• displayed the shut down notice every 5 minutes.
  • displayed the shut down noticed when logging in.
  • displayed the shut down notice when people activate a obelisk or airdrop.

this last patch we had people log in right after the 5 minute warning, but we gave them a shout to let them know the server was about to start.

On 9/16/2019 at 5:52 PM, Mavrick88 said:

Warning if you log in during an already existing pending restart. 

I personally would like at least this, a warning when I log in.
Last week I was shocked to see a "We are taking the server down" notice without any forewarning for myself beforehand, only having been on the server less than 15 mins at the time.

After restart, I found myself stuck inbetween one of my base ceilings, and a behemoth door (I was lucky, I could open that door to get unstuck). I had logged back in to see my survivor glitching up and down, taking occasional damage. I was not happy, I was stressed/anxious worried/frustrated/etc, having supplies on me that I wanted to transfer to another server, did not want my human to die (wasting the time I had waited with those mats in my human inventory). It could have been worse. I personally experienced zero warning for that restart.

• 2 months later...

They should add some more warnings:

-On ark main screen when update will happen(at least 6 hours before update is scheduled)

-Every 15min starting 2hours before the update

-Every 5min starting 20min before the update

-Maybe in global chat instead of a popup warning on top of the screen that disappears relatively quick

1 hour ago, Oli4 said:

They should add some more warnings:

-On ark main screen when update will happen(at least 6 hours before update is scheduled)

-Every 15min starting 2hours before the update

-Every 5min starting 20min before the update

-Maybe in global chat instead of a popup warning on top of the screen that disappears relatively quick

or a small line of text left above that doesnt go away until server actually updates.

• 4 weeks later...

Hmm, i think if they outsource the whole arena fights to a instance on a different server just for these dungeons. Like an own arena server. The benefit would be greater, they could implement a ingame message system that would display after the fight that servers are down when it try's to connect to the game server and either way make it try automatically after a set period of time or  display a button that is greyed out and comes back to color when the arena server successfully connects to the game server. That would prevent the los of tames and loot, to end the fight on short notice in the middle of it  and i think it would benefit performance wise  the game play.

Archived