15 minute warning for server update just not enough.

caleb68

15 minute warning for server update just not enough.

I had just transferred to a different server, thinking 'hey its late, there isn't going to be a update' and when I get on the server a 15 minute warning pops up saying the servers going to be restarting... the problem with this is now its a 50/50 chance i'm going to lose my character, that means all my bases, everything is going to be screwed if I do.  I really hate this, because it just not enough, as 1/2 the time the server doesn't even save from that first message to the time it shuts down.

You really need to give us a larger heads up that a update is coming to the PC, A minimal of 30 minutes, at least that way we KNOW there is a update coming and the server will save at least ONE time after that message.  

…. well here's nothing …. *crosses fingers and hopes to god my character will still be there*

I completely agree with a better warning system. 

1 hour notice. Then warnings every 10 minutes. Warning if you log in during an already existing pending restart. 

People log in this game all the time, many times, many transfers. They don't see the messages. Babies can die of starvation during this time. It's not enough warning and not fair when you didn't know about it. You can lose a whole set of babies this way. I know it's rare that someone is going to be unpodding RIGHT when they log in and this is happening, but it DOES happen. There needs to be a warning if a warning has been issued since you last logged in at least. Surely they can code this in without trouble....

well this time on the server it gave the 15 minute warning, no in-between warnings like normal and then the 'were shutting down' warning, followed by the '..' and server disconnect.

Anyone who would of logged in between those two messages wouldn't of had a clue and could of transferred losing their character.

edit in:

and here we are 30 minutes after the server shut down for the patch and still no servers, I mean no servers, no EU, NA, Legacy,  only thing that shows in the list are Asia Servers.

yep... every last server. 

and thankfully my character is still there,  I want to go back to my main server but after this? I can't say I trust doing anything to be honest.  game screaming "PATCH!" right after I transfer, only partial messages about the server restarting for the patch and then,  after waiting 45 minutes, the server is still the old version number?  yeah... don't trust it at all.... so im stuck in extinction for now... over weight… and fearful of transferring out.

4 minutes ago, GrumpyBear said:

their patch just broke my install.... game just did the u4e crash report after 2min in. and i just verified and ifxed 2 files a day ago.

well... that might verywell be why they are all still 298.37 then, another broken patch tossed out. hopefully they caught it before it did any serious harm to any of the player data like that last big patch messup (1 month of Auto-Decay shut off so they could restore players, bases and dinos)

Just now, HippyHippo4 said:

When you transfer your character will be automatically uploaded so in case something happens it will still be there. When i'm transfering my char to another map/ server sometimes my game will freeze and crash but all you need to do i relog into a server and it will still be there.

I'd love to believe that to be true however its not, it depends on the rollback that happens.  If you transfer the character to a server, and there is no save prior to the server restartings/crashing, you've just lost your character.   People have lost characters many times because of things like this happening, once your characters been downloaded to a server that's it, you pray you make it to the next save before a restart or crash.  The last big patch mistake caused people to not only lose characters that were transferred, but ones still sitting in the 'uploaded' que as well as characters that hadn't been transferred in a week. 

The truth of the matter is, you are really never safe when it comes to official servers.

While I find it to be relatively annoying when they spring things like this on us, I appreciate it.  I think the best thing we could ask for from our Devs, is to put a final save routine in if it isn't already, as the server shutdown command is initiated, the server saves the state first, then proceeds to shut down. But who knows, unless you are a dev on the team, it's hard to tell how they have it set up.

P.S - I agree a 30 minute or even an hour head's up would be nice. Thankfully I wasn't in the middle of a tame, not that I would in 1x lol. 

6 hours ago, Sphere said:

From running a server cluster myself, I know the value of having heads up on maintenance. However, not always is this possible, and personally I feel ya. Unofficial servers of course, I'm just a volunteer moderator here, although I have to behave myself. :P

That was one plus side about unofficial when we were running our own servers, when a patch came out it wasn't tossed out on us, we had to manually install the patch ourselves, and we'd always backup all the user data as well as map data prior to installing the patch as well as making sure that the map actually saved beforehand so that nothing was lost.  Even with using the force save we noticed it 'said' it saved but it didn't actually always save, that was almost a year ago though so I don't know if that's changed.  we'd let all the players know we were preparing to do a update and to make sure they were in a safe place. 

Nothing like being in a boss fight, in a cave, or stuck in the scar for a server shutdown for a patch.

• Wildcard Community

There are times when advanced notice becomes hard but it's fair criticism, so let's see if we can get better at this and allow more time prior to. I'm assuming most are speaking of in-game server notifications (as I imagine people playing are impacted by this the most)?

• Volunteer Moderator
1 minute ago, Cedric said:

There are times when advanced notice becomes hard but it's fair criticism, so let's see if we can get better at this and allow more time prior to. I'm assuming most are speaking of in-game server notifications (as I imagine people playing are impacted by this the most)?

Yes, they are referring to in-game notifications. In most cases 15 minutes is enough, but there are times where it isn't. For example, if a non-scheduled update occurs while you are mid Tek Cave then you are sure to lose all your dinos and inventories. Same if you just entered a boss arena, etc.

Archived