Change all dino dismount to stand-up instead of jump off

Milsurp

Suggestion

Change all dino dismount to stand-up instead of jump off

Some dinos you jump off, some dinos you just stand up. The stand-up method is way preferable, since you can easily dismount to where you want to be, instead of being thrown into problematic places (getting stuck between tames or rocks, sliding off of cliff edges, etc.).

This will possibly make dismounting look odd on small rideable dinos like ovis, pachy, ptera etc, and for that I'd suggest simply assuming the crouch animation on dismount, and auto-switch it to standing as soon as the player starts moving. Should look at least as good, and work far better, than the current always-jump method for them. Jumping off of a small dino you've just parked with other tames is probably the #1 cause of getting stuck in-between dinos.

Alternatively, if you're building the crouch > stand method, you might be able to just use that on everything. I can't think of a mount where that wouldn't be just fine.

Thanks for targeting QoL! It's great to be able to separate these suggestions from bug fixes and major new feature suggestions.

2 replies to this server topic

3 hours ago, TinyHippo said:

I know that on pc if you hold a or d it'll take you off on the left or right side respectively.

Not sure how/if this works on console/mobile but I'd recommend you try holding the move right/move left just before dismounting to see if it does the same.

Yes but that's just a bad workaround. We have mounts which allow fully controllable dismounting right now - dire bear for example, and ofc the big mounts. Just walking off your mount to where you want to be, is provably better than being catapulted in a direction and distance you can't really control, even if you can choose to be thrown off the left or right side.

Archived