Dino mating bug?

Albarian

Dino mating bug?

Anyone else logging in to find out your dinos have automagically enabled mating?  A few times a week, we have surprise pregnancy's, mate timers, fert eggs and unclaimed babies.

They are not left on enable mating or wander.

At this point we are going to have to physically separate our males and females....its like having a barn full of teenagers.

i have another problem that could be similar, after server restart about 6 of my water dinos are in a total different spot, facing where they came from, on passive, in an enclosed base.

they have been here before when they where on neutral, its like there position is reset to that months ago. i put them in the right place again, on passive, but after every server restart they go back to that place.

4 hours ago, Albarian said:

Dino mating bug?

Anyone else logging in to find out your dinos have automagically enabled mating?  A few times a week, we have surprise pregnancy's, mate timers, fert eggs and unclaimed babies.

At this point we are going to have to physically separate our males and females....its like having a barn full of teenagers.

If this is happening to others, then maybe all the surprise births we have had this last week weren't all me.  Though it could have been me, I really felt like I had turned off the male megatherium I was using, but I still came back and found females on cooldown and realized some babies happened.

Dino mating bug?

Have never seen that happen, it's (almost) guaranteed some human error or lack of communication between tribe mates. Have seen many occasions when dino's were mating, only to find out a day or a few days later that some tribe member accidentally left them mating. Have never found an example of spontaneous mating that was caused by anything other than human error.

Having said that... anything is possible. So, are you on an Unofficial server, with a lot of mods running? That's the other reasonable explanation, that when you turn off mating it doesn't actually turn off, possibly as the result of some unintended interaction between mods.

Dino mating bug?

Yeah, for a while there, the "enable mating" protocol would not be able to be turned off.  I didn't screenshot it or record it, but I mated some dinos when "enable mating" was new that were set to disable mating, and they actually said "enable wandering or mating to mate" and then the mating progress bar turned on when I switched mating on for the Male.

It's not guaranteed to (even almost always) be a human error, @Pipinghot.  I get that it hasn't happened to you, but it is definitely a thing...  Or it was back when we were breeding a lot.  Happened directly in front of me, with a tribemate standing there saying in Discord, "mating isn't on, I'm looking at it right now.  what the hell?"  Cryopodding seemed to fix the mating protocols, but we also separated the males and females and would just bring over one high-stat stud at a time.

2 hours ago, TheDonn said:

It's not guaranteed to (even almost always) be a human error, @Pipinghot.  I get that it hasn't happened to you, but it is definitely a thing...  Or it was back when we were breeding a lot.  Happened directly in front of me, with a tribemate standing there saying in Discord, "mating isn't on, I'm looking at it right now.  what the hell?"  Cryopodding seemed to fix the mating protocols, but we also separated the males and females and would just bring over one high-stat stud at a time.

Well yeah, that's why I said "almost" always, it's also why I followed up with "anything is possible" and an additional question. Your saying that it "hasn't happened to you" is pretty much missing the point. I've been in small tribes, large tribes, PvP, PvE, Primitive+, Official, Unofficial, dedicated private server, pretty much done it all. Altogether I've had dozens of tribe mates over the years and I can say with complete confidence that problems like this are almost always player error. It's true that sometimes there are issues with server timing, or the server not updating in response to commands, but much more often it's just people forgetting to do something (like turn off mating).

Human beings are basically mistake machines, look how many times people leave the door open while going in & out of the base, forget where their mount is, forget where their gear is, leave something back at base and have to go back for it, put the wrong kibble on a tame, and a million other examples. It's no different from people who constantly can't find their keys in RL. They'll always say, "I'm sure I lift them here" only to find them in a different room.

So, yeah, there can be issues with the game, and we all know just how far from perfect ARK is, I'm not saying otherwise. But that doesn't change the fact that people constantly forget to do things and then try not to blame themselves after. Even your example makes sense, 'back when you were breeding a lot' means there were that many more opportunities for people to make mistakes.

Maybe your and your tribe mates are the only human beings playing this game who don't make mistakes, but that doesn't seem very likely.

9 minutes ago, Pipinghot said:

Well yeah, that's why I said "almost" always, it's also why I followed up with "anything is possible" and an additional question. Your saying that it "hasn't happened to you" is pretty much missing the point. I've been in small tribes, large tribes, PvP, PvE, Primitive+, Official, Unofficial, dedicated private server, pretty much done it all. Altogether I've had dozens of tribe mates over the years and I can say with complete confidence that problems like this are almost always player error. It's true that sometimes there are issues with server timing, or the server not updating in response to commands, but much more often it's just people forgetting to do something (like turn off mating).

Human beings are basically mistake machines, look how many times people leave the door open while going in & out of the base, forget where their mount is, forget where their gear is, leave something back at base and have to go back for it, put the wrong kibble on a tame, and a million other examples. It's no different from people who constantly can't find their keys in RL. They'll always say, "I'm sure I lift them here" only to find them in a different room.

So, yeah, there can be issues with the game, and we all know just how far from perfect ARK is, I'm not saying otherwise. But that doesn't change the fact that people constantly forget to do things and then try not to blame themselves after. Even your example makes sense, 'back when you were breeding a lot' means there were that many more opportunities for people to make mistakes.

Maybe your and your tribe mates are the only human beings playing this game who don't make mistakes, but that doesn't seem very likely.

At no point did I say I or my tribemates were perfect, not that perfection is a legitimate metric for how often bugs will or will not show up for you in ARK...  I hope you understand that. 

But, I do get your point.  A human component is often prevalent in a lot of different aspects of many wonky endeavors.  Just, in this example, understand that because you have not seen it, does not mean it hasn't happened to other people.  It 100% certainly happened to me, and all I am just a cautious and far-from-perfect ARK player.

Just an update.  We are on official, long term players and communicate well.  Had it been just utility dinos would toss that up to human error.  In cases where its our eggers, our roo pair for imprints, etc are dropping babies its more than someone toggling on mating.

It happens about once or so a week, and is 2 or 3 random dinos.

30 minutes ago, Albarian said:

Just an update.  We are on official, long term players and communicate well.  Had it been just utility dinos would toss that up to human error.  In cases where its our eggers, our roo pair for imprints, etc are dropping babies its more than someone toggling on mating.

It happens about once or so a week, and is 2 or 3 random dinos.

Double check the lineage of your lines. If you’re leaving them enabled mating, someone on server may be trolling you by breeding your lines when you’re offline. 

Archived