[Linux] Server crash on startup (Signal 11 segmentation fault)

danamemaker

[Linux} Server crash on startup (Signal 11 segmentation fault)

I've been running my ARK Server using Linux Game Server Manager on Linux Ubuntu for over a month with no real issues. Lately though, it's been crashing during startup with Signal 11 Segmentation fault. The first time it happened was during a restart a week ago, after trying various things it finally started again after rolling back 4-6 backups, 10 hours earlier, everything after that wouldn't start. Now it's happened again and all the previous backups from the last few DAYS aren't working either. I'm new to Linux so I'm wondering if there's something I did wrong or a fix I don't know about, or is this simple save corruption?

Using binned.
4.5.1-0+UE4 7038 3077 404 10
[S_API FAIL] SteamAPI_Init() failed; SteamAPI_IsSteamRunning() failed.
Setting breakpad minidump AppID = 346110
Signal 11 caught.
EngineCrashHandler: Signal=11
/home/serverhost/ArkCluster/lgsm/functions/command_debug.sh: line 120:  6304 Segmentation fault      (core dumped) ${executable} ${parms}

note: the [S_API FAIL] has been happening since the first startup and has never kept the server from properly booting

• danamemaker changed the title to [Linux] Server crash on startup (Signal 11 segmentation fault)

There's a brief explanation of possible causes of Signal 11 here...  https://serverfault.com/questions/67504/what-can-cause-a-signal-11

If the Linux version of Ark was updated recently, I'd be tempted to try reverting to a backup from just before that update.  Also validate Ark's installation in case of corruption.
Also worth checking if you have any automatic updates enabled on the OS - to see if they could be the cause of the issue.

Finally, check the validity of the file system.  It's a long time since I've touched Linux though, so you'll need to look up the incantations for doing that.

Unfortunately (fortunately?) the last update to the game for this server happened over a week before this started so I don't think that is under suspicion. I also tried validating multiple times, loading without mods, completely reinstalling ark, and switching from Linux Game Server Manager to Ark Server Tools, same error. Checking the file system fixed 12 files? not sure didn't say what they were but it's still crashing. As for auto updates, going from this history.log file google told me about there were no updates around when it started happening.

Archived