Dino Level Cap

Jaymei

1 hour ago, Joebl0w13 said:

Boss fights.

Can't have people rolling in with lvl 1331 Rexes and steamrolling the place.

What do we have now?? 

I did my first boss outside extinction before 3 or 4 months, that was on center, beta. 

I meet this guy on ext, and he said if I want I can go with him, he wanted to farm element tomorrow. I prepared 500 shootgun shells, 2 shootguns 270%, 1 fabi 298% with 300 bullets, 2 sets of flak, 100 energybrews and 12 rexes, all of them with 115%+ saddles. Finally when I come on his server he tells me, 

"The Dilo is wrong with u, just take one Rex and come on platform" 

I didn't expect that, like whole fight was over in 7,8 min or so, with 2 rexes. 

Same thing on ragna, alpha arena. 4 players riding rexes, 1 on yuty, 2 rexes tank with 150k hp, fight started, after 30 secs dragon was dead, if only manticore landed on start I think u can finish Arena in less than 2 minutes. 

4 hours ago, hud said:

What do we have now?? 

I did my first boss outside extinction before 3 or 4 months, that was on center, beta. 

I meet this guy on ext, and he said if I want I can go with him, he wanted to farm element tomorrow. I prepared 500 shootgun shells, 2 shootguns 270%, 1 fabi 298% with 300 bullets, 2 sets of flak, 100 energybrews and 12 rexes, all of them with 115%+ saddles. Finally when I come on his server he tells me, 

"The Dilo is wrong with u, just take one Rex and come on platform" 

I didn't expect that, like whole fight was over in 7,8 min or so, with 2 rexes. 

Same thing on ragna, alpha arena. 4 players riding rexes, 1 on yuty, 2 rexes tank with 150k hp, fight started, after 30 secs dragon was dead, if only manticore landed on start I think u can finish Arena in less than 2 minutes. 

Great examples of how easy official has become

On 9/12/2019 at 12:00 PM, Cowgirl said:

You can have limitless stats, you have to breed a super rex with a level 5 or something and get a low level with the super rex's stats, and continue the breeding operation, it will take time but it can happen.

The limit is more noticable with spinos.  In order to put in the great hp w/ the melee, we end up having to sacrifice oxy , and oxy makes spinos shine underwater.  Its managable for animals that don't need all the stats, but some animals do use more than hp and melee.

At the point we are at, it will come down to people keeping their mega mutated stats separate on hp and melee, then combine them only for ones they will ride until the server blanks them.  That's the only way to keep going up.

23 hours ago, Jaymei said:

The point of putting the effort in was to accomplish things quicker and easier otherwise what would be the point in breeding at all?

Hyper-bred Rexes already get the job done faster than non-bred Rexes. If you set the cap at let's say 1000, you'd need a fraction of the Rexes to do the same job. It would be entirely ridiculous, especially in PvP.

On 9/25/2019 at 11:47 AM, Jaymei said:

The cap was a response to dinos on the centre hatching wild then being knocked out to get tamed again reaching crazy levels which is why ALL dinos over lvl 450 were wiped.

Interesting, thanks for the info. That must have happened when I was taking a break from the game.

The point of the original post was to discuss removing the cap as it serves no purpose now other than limiting how far a dino can be bred.

Now that part I already answered in my first reply - "it's designed to limit how powerful tames can become."

If a dino can solo anything with the cap then why have the cap at all?

Multiple reasons:

1) PvP - one thing a perfect, max stat dino can't solo is another perfect, max stat dino. Or rather, in that fight one of them is always going to die. Having a maximum cap level limits the maximum strength that even a perfect dino can have, which in turn limits the speed with which a single dino can take down someone's base.

2) PvP - if we flip the coin and look at herbivores, the level cap prevents people from using a Lvl 2000 stego from tanking turrets during a base raid. There must be a maximum limit on how powerful even the most powerful dino can be.

3) PvE - it is not true that every dino can solo everything with the cap. You spino's may be able to solo nearly anything in the game, but spino's are already alpha predators to begin with. Even if your spino can solo almost everything on every map, it would be painfully ridiculous is a raptor could do the same thing. By having a cap there is still a balance between different species in the game. A 450 spino is not the same thing as a 450 stego and is also not the same thing as a 450 raptor and is also not the same thing as a 450 dodo. The level cap prevents truly stupid things from happening, no one ever wants to see a parasaur that could kill a giga (except as a joke).

4) Risk - there must always be a risk in the game, even if it's a small one. I'll bet that even your perfect spino wouldn't do too well fighting a wild giga one-on-one. There must always be at least one threat in the game that can take you down.

5) Boss fights. Having a level cap means that you don't see crazy, absurd animals being used in boss fights. Again, no one wants to see parasaurs in a boss fight (except as a joke, as before).

This was never thought about before the bug was found and was supposed to be implemented as a "patch" whilst they resolved the bigger issue.

On the contrary, instead it seems like the bug made them realize just how bad the game would be without a level cap. Once they added the cap they realized that it was an important part of preventing the game from becoming a silly cartoon.

On 9/12/2019 at 8:17 AM, Jaymei said:

My issue is more that the dinos are useless when you breed out all other stats.

This was never a consideration before that glitch and it just seems that the band aid was never removed. If people are willing to put the time and effort into breeding forever then that should be down to them. I wouldn't even say its lazy breeding as to get the good stats you still need to hatch hundreds of thousands of eggs.

That's still not true. Repeating your falsehood doesn't make it any better.

When you breed out the stats that a dino doesn't need, they become super-useful, there's no such thing as dino with good stats being "useless".

On 9/25/2019 at 11:54 AM, Jaymei said:

Is that not just part of the game though? Put the effort in to get the stats and make it easier?

The bosses were insane ages ago back when they spawned on the map, were still difficult in the portal and some are still challenging (Hard Dragon). The point of putting the effort in was to accomplish things quicker and easier otherwise what would be the point in breeding at all?

Because boss fights should always require at least some amount of effort.

If you want to be able to kill a boss as easily as you kill a dodo then just use cheat codes, there's no reason for the game to ever allow that kind of silliness that you're talking about.

On 9/29/2019 at 7:44 PM, Pipinghot said:

Because boss fights should always require at least some amount of effort.

If you want to be able to kill a boss as easily as you kill a dodo then just use cheat codes, there's no reason for the game to ever allow that kind of silliness that you're talking about.

Or play on the center...

• 10 months later...

Archived