Dino Level Cap

Jaymei

Dino Level Cap

So something that does not seem to be mentioned very much is the dino level cap. Obviously this was put in place due to the glitch on the centre where when the server was capped dinos would pop wild then you would knock them out to tame gaining some insane levels.

As far as I was aware, this had been patched but the 450 level cap on officials is still there which is hindering breeders trying to get great stats. Can anyone from WildCard comment on this as it is very frustrating the amount of time people put into breeding to then have to sacrifice stats for the betterment of others. e.g. spino with 1113 melee and 650 oxy.....

Surely this limitation can be removed now or at least substantially raised?

I like the cap. It keeps the lazy breeders from just mixing any and every stat they have. We have the top stat rexes on PS4 PVE Official currently with 27240 HP and 1013 melee that hatch at 320-330.

We’ve watched people selling 415+ hatch rexes with 25k HP and 837 melee. Which are useless, but they bought a male or an egg and bred across their line. 

I don’t mind the cap because it gives us an end goal instead of having to breed forever. 

My issue is more that the dinos are useless when you breed out all other stats.

This was never a consideration before that glitch and it just seems that the band aid was never removed. If people are willing to put the time and effort into breeding forever then that should be down to them. I wouldn't even say its lazy breeding as to get the good stats you still need to hatch hundreds of thousands of eggs.

You're right, this topic only comes up once a month, it's about time for it this month.

But let me present a few options, each of which would add some realism/dynamics to the game:

For a change, I think the cap should be lowered to about 350 or 400. 
Sure this is a fantasy game, but if you look at the real world, we have been breeding since the start of humankind, but our stats haven't increased dramatically. So lets add a tiny bit more realism to the game.

Either that, or, when a dino's mutation count is at or above 20 it is born sterile. 

Or perhaps even a more dynamic dino stat mechanic - each dino is born clean (mutation mechanic removed completely), it levels normally, but there is a 'live' mutation based on what you use the dino for - the more you attack with it, melee get's the occasional bonus point, the more you carry (burden) it with, weight will get an occasional bonus, the more it runs out of stam, stam gets a point, if it goes underwater a lot oxy gets a point, and so on. If they sit around on the couch doing nothing, points are transferred from their other stat to their food stat. 

This last option will also automatically have the added bonus of giving dino's a lifespan, as once they reach the dino level cap, they die! 

Life expectancy, education, health - all increased :)

It's really just that although you can get to insane health and melee it comes at a huge detriment to all other stats to ensure you have the ability to fully level the dino.

The options would not be a problem but the implementation would probably take them much, much longer and be more hassle than its worth to develop it.

And one chomping a boss would be cool ? but in all seriousness, that would take years and years to get to that point and if you do then you deserve it for the work put in.

Edit: Also, apologies but not been on the forums in quite some time (Legacy I think?)

27 minutes ago, Jaymei said:

And one chomping a boss would be cool ? but in all seriousness, that would take years and years to get to that point and if you do then you deserve it for the work put in.

it is cool and you can do it in single player , if those stats ever made it on official it would kill the game 

2 minutes ago, Cowgirl said:

You can have limitless stats, you have to breed a super rex with a level 5 or something and get a low level with the super rex's stats, and continue the breeding operation, it will take time but it can happen.

But there is still a limit on this and the dino would in fact be pretty useless. The idea would be to have a dino that can be used for boss fights/collecting but still have decent other stats. Again, the limit was only introduced with the glitch not for any other purpose. It would be nice of them to remove that band aid and let people breed how they like rather than restricting them and forcing the constant hatch kill breed cycle.

45 minutes ago, Cowgirl said:

You can have limitless stats, you have to breed a super rex with a level 5 or something and get a low level with the super rex's stats, and continue the breeding operation, it will take time but it can happen.

I did that on legacy. Mine rexes have only hp and Meele, all others stats have 0 points, I think oxygen have like 5 or so, need to lover that too. They are born with 350 lvl, so u realy think u have much space more to continue. I won't be surprise if people already hit breeding cap with them with 255 points. 

On other hand, do we realy need more. 

20 hours ago, hud said:

I did that on legacy. Mine rexes have only hp and Meele, all others stats have 0 points, I think oxygen have like 5 or so, need to lover that too. They are born with 350 lvl, so u realy think u have much space more to continue. I won't be surprise if people already hit breeding cap with them with 255 points. 

On other hand, do we realy need more. 

You then have issues with stamina, food oxygen (Spinos) which leave them only really useful for a boss fight.
Rather than categorize all great stats as HP and Melee for boss fights, we should be able to raise them to whatever level we choose as the original idea was.

Like many others, I was in a similar situation on Legacy with the Rex and now on the current servers we have broken 3k melee on Ab Spinos but sacrificed all stats in oxy food speed and weight!

3 hours ago, Jaymei said:

You then have issues with stamina, food oxygen (Spinos) which leave them only really useful for a boss fight.
Rather than categorize all great stats as HP and Melee for boss fights, we should be able to raise them to whatever level we choose as the original idea was.

Like many others, I was in a similar situation on Legacy with the Rex and now on the current servers we have broken 3k melee on Ab Spinos but sacrificed all stats in oxy food speed and weight!

Good thing speed doesnt matter.... At all. Literal dead stat.

I think the cap should stay. Nothing wrong with making people play smart instead of buying eggs and breeding with any old dino. Its only on official which is a small part of the playerbase, anyhow.

There was a thread about whether or not they should wipe the servers 2-3 months back.  I was adamantly against it.  But if they were going to wipe the servers with purpose, they should make the mutation cap a hard 20/20.   The max level dino absolutely needs to stay.  If you need to go over 450, you don't know how to breed properly.  The dinos people are hatching today destroy anything in the game.

On 9/12/2019 at 5:10 AM, flamron said:

We’ve watched people selling 415+ hatch rexes with 25k HP and 837 melee. Which are useless, but they bought a male or an egg and bred across their line. 

Actually this is a untrue statement.  Its not useless its how you folks are breeding.

I've managed to get my rex up to 29k health 1007 melee and hatching down at 254/275 levels.  How? well its simple really.

1) Baby's stats are based on the parents BASE stats, not what you level them up to, so that 415 rex with 25khp, and 837melee just gave the player a good chance to get a better rex baby.

2) Rex's don't have to be extremely high level to have high stats.  Seems to be a common misconception with people in ark, thinking that if they level the rex up they'll end up getting rex with higher stats, this is untrue.  The only thing that's going to do is bring you closer to the level cap a lot quicker and limit your ability to max out those stats with leveling for boss fights.

Now, to get a better rex, with the high stats, lets take that 415 your talking about,  and get a lower level baby,  you want to take a rex that's 1/2 the level of the 415, say a 207/208 rex, and breed it with the 415.   You have a 50/50 chance of getting a baby egg that has the stats of the 415, but has a much lower level range, usually falling in the 200-300 range.  Once you get a couple of those, you can use them to breed more rexs with the 837 melee at lower range, Just don't level the breeders.

Continue to breed those to get more mutations,  and start breeding the mutation ones for even better rexs, again the key being, Don't level the breeders, else you'll have to repeat the down breeding again.

This down breeding method works good on any dinos and has two benefits:

• A baby thats lower level and still has the max stats of parents.
  • when wanting high stat colored dinos, you can use a low level colored dino to breed in the colors and keep the stats of the high level.

I use the down breeding all the time, I have many rexs that have been leveled to 449 that had been used previously for boss fights, and I down bred them to get lower levels with high stats, to breed with the newer babies with higher stats, to give even better chances of getting a max parent stat/low level baby from the eggs.

you guys want rexs or other dinos with max stats but low levels? well start down breeding.

On 9/12/2019 at 7:47 AM, Jaymei said:

As far as I was aware, this had been patched but the 450 level cap on officials is still there which is hindering breeders trying to get great stats. Can anyone from WildCard comment on this as it is very frustrating the amount of time people put into breeding to then have to sacrifice stats for the betterment of others. e.g. spino with 1113 melee and 650 oxy....

This is silly, if you can't breed animals with "great stats" under the 450 level cap then you're doing something very wrong.

No one ever has to "sacrifice stats for the betterment of others", you just need to crossbreed your mutation lines with a low level tame and you can guarantee that your breeding line will have less than 5 points in Speed and Oxygen. It only requires one single Lvl 10 spino tame to guarantee that Oxygen and Speed are never a problem for your breeding pool.

On 9/12/2019 at 8:19 AM, Sl8erj said:

with out the cap you will eventually get a one chomp Rex on the boss's , now wheres the fun in that ?

I believe that aside from the level cap, there is a hard-coded cap on the number of points that can be placed into a particular stat of 255. On official settings, that corresponds to a Rex with 2,263% melee, and even with a mate boost and courage buff, that would yield only 2.4K damage/bite, obviously not enough to one shot a boss, but it does outpace decent tamed gigas, which is normally impossible on a rex. 

On 9/16/2019 at 1:40 PM, Pipinghot said:

This is silly, if you can't breed animals with "great stats" under the 450 level cap then you're doing something very wrong.

No one ever has to "sacrifice stats for the betterment of others", you just need to crossbreed your mutation lines with a low level tame and you can guarantee that your breeding line will have less than 5 points in Speed and Oxygen. It only requires one single Lvl 10 spino tame to guarantee that Oxygen and Speed are never a problem for your breeding pool.

Never said I cant breed the great stats - currently have the highest stat HP/MELEE Abb Spinos on Xbox AFAIK which can be fully levelled.

The problem is more that I do not see why I need to sacrifice any other stats just because the had a bug, that they fixed and didnt remove the band aid they applied.

Breeding down was a fix for a glitch and was supposed to be temporary but was never removed from the game.

3 hours ago, Jaymei said:

Never said I cant breed the great stats - currently have the highest stat HP/MELEE Abb Spinos on Xbox AFAIK which can be fully levelled.

The problem is more that I do not see why I need to sacrifice any other stats just because the had a bug, that they fixed and didnt remove the band aid they applied.

Breeding down was a fix for a glitch and was supposed to be temporary but was never removed from the game.

The level cap is not a response to a glitch, not sure where you got that idea from, it's designed to limit how powerful tames can become.

The stats on an animal are a balancing act, if you're going to ride the spino's then obviously they're going to need points in stam and weight, but if you're just going to have them on follow and using whistle commands they could have as much as 187 levels each in HP and DAM, and that would be a suuuuper OP tame.

Attack spino:

Hatched at Lvl 379 + 71 levels = 450

Hatched with HP = 174, Stam = 1, Food = 1, Oxy = 1, Wgt = 1, Dam = 174, Sp = 1

Riding spino:

Hatched at Lvl 379 + 71 levels = 450

Hatched with HP = 144, Stam = 31, Food = 1, Oxy = 1, Wgt = 31, Dam = 144, Sp = 1

Nothing is "sacrificed" for either of those animals, they're both so powerful that nothing can stand in their way. If you think you need better stats then there is something else about ARK that you're not doing right. Spinos with max stats can solo almost anything in ARK.

The cap was a response to dinos on the centre hatching wild then being knocked out to get tamed again reaching crazy levels which is why ALL dinos over lvl 450 were wiped.

The point of the original post was to discuss removing the cap as it serves no purpose now other than limiting how far a dino can be bred. If a dino can solo anything with the cap then why have the cap at all? This was never thought about before the bug was found and was supposed to be implemented as a "patch" whilst they resolved the bigger issue.

1 minute ago, Joebl0w13 said:

Boss fights.

Can't have people rolling in with lvl 1331 Rexes and steamrolling the place.

Is that not just part of the game though? Put the effort in to get the stats and make it easier?

The bosses were insane ages ago back when they spawned on the map, were still difficult in the portal and some are still challenging (Hard Dragon). The point of putting the effort in was to accomplish things quicker and easier otherwise what would be the point in breeding at all?

Archived