Don't Wipe Legacy Beginner Servers, Create New Ones Instead

Jabroni429

Don't Wipe Legacy Beginner Servers, Create New Ones Instead

Hello Ark,

I am new to the game, not even 2 weeks in. This gives me a unique and seemingly completely overlooked perspective on the recent announcement. The TLDR is wiping the servers without addressing the pillaring on "normal" servers is kinda tone deaf and wiping out tightly knit communities is, at best, completely tone deaf. Solution: make new Beginner servers and don't wipe legacy servers. There aren't that many and servers cant cost you much at all. Wiping out deeply built communities is never a good idea, and more so when it's a community that is doing things for new players that you've overlooked.

I started on a Beginner server because beginner. The community there is amazing, they answered every dumb question, they removed pillars to make room for noobs, they helped in a way that wasnt a hand out, it was all around the best starting situation that could have happened to me. I was so excited I purchased an expansion.

After a week, I decided to graduate to "normal" to get a feel for the game past L42. The first "regular" server I went was so pillared up that I couldn't place a campfire anywhere until I had run 12 levels of beach. Then I tried building a 1x1 shelter and was unable to put a wall on it. I tried two other servers and had exact the same experience. The fourth server I tried somewhat stuck, as I got to level 40 but in that time could only carve out a 1x2 shelter with some platforms detached for other stuff. Supposedly there is open space inland, in the difficult areas, but those arent really accesable to a brand new player like myself.  Not to mention, no one would answer questions on these servers, beyond the sarcastic Google it responses.

So I went back to the amazing community on the Beginner server determined to learn from them and be able to make it elsewhere. Then the announcement came. And I see how it's completely taken the life out of my server. I took my first gifts today from players outright quitting or taking extended breaks. I then tried starting on a server where one of the vets is moving and it was....pillar forest.

I guess I have 2 issues, one being that you are destroying a great community and disenfrachising them from your game entirely. And you're creating a situation of unintended difficulty for new players. Or maybe this game doesnt care about new players. I wouldn;t be surprised with what you are doing to your established communities.

1 hour ago, Jabroni429 said:

Or maybe this game doesnt care about new players. I wouldn;t be surprised with what you are doing to your established communities.

Look at this comment and really think.

They gave new people dedicated servers to learn on. Keeping those servers to the side with the expressed idea of letting new people learn in a less cutthroat environment instead of allocating those servers to new and more popular game modes/maps.

Not only that, they have given over a month's notice, take a look at true legacy wipes...sorry repurposing's, so how is that not a gift?

I think they have gone out of their way to help the new people.

• Volunteer Moderator

The problem is not the new players that want to learn and get familiar with the game mechanics on these server but the ones that do not move on once they know how to play. If you look at the play time on these servers, some have over 3.5k hours there which is exactly why scheduled wipes are more than needed.

On 9/10/2019 at 10:02 PM, Jabroni429 said:

I guess I have 2 issues, one being that you are destroying a great community and disenfrachising them from your game entirely. And you're creating a situation of unintended difficulty for new players. Or maybe this game doesnt care about new players. I wouldn;t be surprised with what you are doing to your established communities.

You're blaming the wrong people. These wipes are necessary because there are a lot of people who are not newcomers but are playing on the newcomer servers, and they just never leave. If you think that wiping the newcomer servers is bad, then blame the people who are forcing it to be necessary, the people who stay on those servers too long.

The newcomer servers were never supposed to be servers on which players could stay and play permanently, every player should expect themselves to leave the newcomer servers and "graduate" to the regular servers, but far too many people don't do that. Or, to phrase it a different way, the newcomer servers never should have become "established communities" in the first place, that's not what they're for.

I know this is hard to see, because you're only two weeks into the game, so I'm just going to have to ask you to trust me on this - nothing in ARK is permanent. Right about now this feels painful to you, but I assure you that in 6 months time you'll look back and realize that two weeks is basically nothing. If you like ARK enough to keep playing it you'll almost certainly end up experiencing the game in different ways, on multiple servers. I'm going to use myself as an example, but I'm only one example, there are tons people who have had experiences like I'm about to describe to you.

1st server - PvP, played for 6 months. Three-man tribe.

2nd server - my tribe mates decided they didn't like PvP, moved to PvE, I followed them to a new server (which required a brand new character, starting from scratch, because you can't go from PvP to PvE). Played there, we joined a bigger tribe and learned a lot from them.

3rd server - the new tribe wanted to try PvP, but didn't want to do it on one of the regular PvP servers. So... they all moved to a small-cluster PvP server. You can't transfer regular PvP characters to a small-cluster-PvP, so this required a 3rd new character, starting from scratch.

4th server - when the game went from Early Access to Live, most of the Legacy servers got destroyed, including our Small Cluster-PvP and the original PvP that I played on at the beginning. So... we moved to a "new release" small cluster server. This required a 4th new character, starting from scratch.

5th server - got tired of PvP again. One of my original buddies from the very first PvP server we ever played was also tired of PvP. We went back to PvE on one of the new release PvE servers (our original PvE characters were long gone). This required a 5th new character, starting from scratch.

6th server - we were on an Aberration server and progress was slow, so we also created characters on a Ragnarok-PvE server to have access to different resources, and to farm some resources more easily. We didn't want to transfer our characters back-and-forth between Aberration and Ragnarok all the time, so this required 6th character, started from scratch.

7th server - we decided to have our own private server. I set up a server on privately owned machine. We started inviting our friends from RL to play and some of them joined us. (And, of course, since it's a private server this required a 7th new character, leveled up from scratch). Now, after nearly 4 years and 3,500+ hours of playing the game, I'm finally in a "permanent" situation. But even then I have to put "permanent" in air quotes, because who knows what will happen next? Some of these people might get tired of being on a private server with only 6 people. We might beat everything in ARK and I might want to go back to an Official server, either PvE or PvP, and there will be more content for the game, who knows what the future will bring.

Now I know that looks like I'm typing a lot of stuff that all says, me-me-me-me, but really it's not about me. I'm trying to help you understand that ARK offers a wide variety of experiences, solo, group, PvP, PvE, Official, Unofficial, so don't get tied to the feeling that this newcomers server that you're on is the beginning and end of your ARK experience. If you like the game enough to keep playing it, you're going to keep learning, you're going to find other established communities, and you're going to look back on these first two weeks as a drop in the bucket.

20 hours ago, invincibleqc said:

The problem is not the new players that want to learn and get familiar with the game mechanics on these server but the ones that do not move on once they know how to play. If you look at the play time on these servers, some have over 3.5k hours there which is exactly why scheduled wipes are more than needed.

DId u look only play time on server or last time played ???

Just checked beginner where i started, 427. From first 30 on all time play list 3-4 players are realy activ. I dont know, wipe realy sucks, because people who come after will never experience how is to ride giga, or rex or even a argy. Players worked realy hard during event to collect those saddles, and that bp  saddles always stayed on server, because of new generations

If u want to wipe i think its better if u find some solutions because of engrams, bps, or do u realy expect from players that they move after hiting cap 44. U can easy hit cap in few hours, ok new players meybe need a bit more time, lets say 2 days, and than what?? transfer

• Volunteer Moderator
1 hour ago, hud said:

I did. Take the following example:

wOkTcsI.png

Playing an average of ~10 hours a day for the past 8 months. Sorry, but when you have that play time and are still active, you are clearly no longer a "beginner" and should have moved out a long time ago.

51 minutes ago, hud said:

I dont know, wipe realy sucks, because people who come after will never experience how is to ride giga, or rex or even a argy. Players worked realy hard during event to collect those saddles, and that bp  saddles always stayed on server, because of new generations

Well, that argument is quite invalid. I mean, there is a reason why the character level is capped; you should not have the ability nor have access to the loot crates that contains end-game saddles because you should have moved out by the time you have the experience and knowledge to tame these creatures. The fact these blueprints were available from the events was clearly an oversight. New players will experience these creatures; on the main clusters when they are no longer beginners. The concept of these servers is very simple. Start there, learn the basics (harvesting, taming, crafting, building, etc.) mechanics and then move out. They are very early game servers for players so they can learn; not to call them forever home.

7 hours ago, hud said:

Just checked beginner where i started, 427. From first 30 on all time play list 3-4 players are realy activ. I dont know, wipe realy sucks, because people who come after will never experience how is to ride giga, or rex or even a argy. Players worked realy hard during event to collect those saddles, and that bp  saddles always stayed on server, because of new generations

If u want to wipe i think its better if u find some solutions because of engrams, bps, or do u realy expect from players that they move after hiting cap 44. U can easy hit cap in few hours, ok new players meybe need a bit more time, lets say 2 days, and than what?? transfer

I don''t understand  when you say "because people who come after will never experience how is to ride giga, or rex or even a argy" isn't it the point to learn the basics and then move to "Regular" server and start taming your own? 

I just cant understand why ARk have problem with old players on beginners.

Why they didnt introduce wipe on server start ??

Go on battlemetrics and check every pve beginner server and tell me how much from "old" players are realy activ.  

Problem is, some players found home and u want to take it away from them.  Because of hand full of players u want to wipe ???

I moved from beginner to regular ( which sucks badly) to legacy so this isnt about me, i m just mad because of realy awesome people who stayed on beginner just to take a %$^ from ark after spending so much time in game.

i started playing on a beginner pvp server. these servers are hardcore, it feels like this is how the game is suppose to be played. exciting to play all the time.
no carno or rex saddles, no argentavis saddles. real survival. i like it, i cant stop playing here.
the regular servers are stale after passing a certain level. level 150 tames are so strong, there is nothing to fear with a good ptera. quickly boring and you end up in end game after a short time.

Think of restarting as a test for you to be more efficient. Scout new areas you might want to build a base. Consider proximity to resources and dinos to tame.

Or maybe take this time to find some tribemates for when wipe happens and either start again on beginners servers or move to main official servers.

4 hours ago, BertNoobians said:

i started playing on a beginner pvp server. these servers are hardcore, it feels like this is how the game is suppose to be played. exciting to play all the time.
no carno or rex saddles, no argentavis saddles. real survival. i like it, i cant stop playing here.
the regular servers are stale after passing a certain level. level 150 tames are so strong, there is nothing to fear with a good ptera. quickly boring and you end up in end game after a short time.

Well said. Regular servers should have wild dino cap raised to 450 to match bred boys. When you are on a level 420 mutated theri with 140 armor saddle there is zero survival element in this game. This ought to change. This change would also level the playing field between megatribes with OP lines and  tribes starting today.

Archived