Best map for soloing?

Sancudo

really depends on where you can find a place to build.

I solo play probably about 90% of the time I am in ark, and I play on the island, ragnarok, Scorched Earth, Extinction, and Valguero.  I was playing on Aberration till they froze decay and popped it back on later, i was literally on the server at my base when it was kicked back on, I got to watch 1/2 my base instantly decay, luckily none of my dino's did and I moved them out.

The island - easiest spot - herbivore island.
Valguero - easiest spot - the islands in the middle of the map.
Extinction - easiest spot i know of is 50/50, water available and city transmitter, along with fish and otter.
Scorched Earth - I have a little base right near the green obelisk but there are probably safer spots.
Ragnarok - My main building its right near the blue obelisk, but also if your standing at the obelisk, and looking toward the land, just on the other side of the cliff to the right, there is a small island off the shore down the beach that is also a great spot.

aberration - I spawned at the Portal rings, headed strait through to where it starts to meet the bridge, then headed right though the small tunnel bit, and toward the exit to the surface,  i built a base below that  on the flat, had to deal with ravagers while doing so but tamed a few and the base was mostly safe.  the only thing i had to worry about was people kiting basilisk to that side.   Many like the lake toward the center north, but I see alot of crabs, carnos, and ravagers spawning all around it,  I felt much safer at my first location.

far as the center - i can't comment on it.

I play mostly PVE Official anymore myself, use to play some unofficial servers but not anymore.

Are you talking about pvp or pve?

PvP = Do Not Solo

PvE =

• Unofficial.  Do not think you will get ahead on any official as a solo player.  Official rates are awful. 
  • Any map is good but I prefer Shigo Islands clustered with other maps.  Shigo is unpopular with crowds because it's so niche so lots of space all to yourself.
  • Use battlemetrics to help but remember you might not see all the unofficial mods that go with the server.  I got around this problem by doing something maybe I should not advice other players to do.  So take with grain of salt.  I loaded in every high population unofficial and their suggested mods.  It took a few days.  Then I went and picked which unofficial servers looked to have what I wanted most (for solo play get increased rates especially character experience and dino tame).  Then I got lucky as I loaded the unoff I wanted I had the mods it required.
  • In the past I have had trouble running unofficial because mods would not load.  Been having more luck lately.  Solo unoff and get ahead without tribal help.  People are friendly can still answer your q&a in chat.

I've seen solo players do quite well on official.  I know a guy w/ over 100 reapers all imprinted to him and he plays solo.  Aberation can be done solo on PVE official.  It always helps though to have a friend or 2 once in awhile.  Usually people on a server are helpful if u start working hard for yourself first off.  Plenty of good bloodlines out there , you could probably find someone there to help set you up w/ bred stuff.

Every paid-DLC Map is horrible because of the fewer high-level-creatures! The main thing on soloing is breeding for bossfights or for fun/stats/colours after you completed the bosses. I played thousands of hours on Ragnarok before I went to The Center for the first time and the rumours seemed to be true that it has the best chances for high levels, but I just didn't like the feeling I got on the map and it feels like it's raining every 10 minutes... So I just wiped volcano island a couple of times to get high (Tek) Rexes and went back to Ragnarok.

On Rag you also have a better chance for high level creatures, you have a very good amount of resources everywhere, the rain-cycle is ok and it feels a lot bigger and more natural than The Center.

I haven't spent enough time on Valguero for a reasonable opinion, but I didn't feel it over there... And there are waaaaay too many Allos! ? 

TLDR: I recommend Ragnarok^^

PVE

i recommend Valguero as a good start. ive had a base on island for close to 2 years now and its ok. jumped to Valg for the deino can started fresh as no item or dino transfers and its been loads of fun.

when transfers open i prob will migrate my fave dinos over and just use island for mass breeding . i will also be downsizing my base area too. currently had a section gated off for future expansion project but i dont need that space any more.

@Sancudo

There are plenty of good options available to you in terms of solo PvP.
You just need to clearly define your needs and your goals going solo into this.

The Island :
- Easiest map of them all.
-
Explorer Notes.
- Plenty of alphas from leveing/tools/x bows.

- Limited amount of oil/pearls on the map.
- Lower amount of CP from dams => compared to Ragnarok/Valguero.
- Creatures tend to spawn at lower levels.
- Tek cave for extra 15 levels.
- Bosses overall harder compared to duo/trio setups.
- Hardly no defendable on-land spots.
- Map is so well-known you'll have a hard time hiding anything.

- Scattered resources.
- Small map.

Scorched Earth :
- Ghost town servers 99% of the time => Because of Ragnarok.
- Explorer Notes.
- Manticore is among the easiest boss to farm.
-
Limited avaibility of creatures compared to other maps.
- Plenty of hidden locations.
- Water is a constant problem is you don't build near an ob.

- Spoil timer.
- Limited pearls.
- Unlimited oil supplies.
- CP is cancer without a chem bench.
- Electrical Storm makes base defense much harder.
- Infestation of carnos, yutis, tapes, wolves, sabers, golems.
- Creatures tends to spawn at higher levels, but nothing on par with Rag/Val/Center.
- Wyverns.
- Easy access to Deep Sea Loot Crates.
- Limited amounts of metal compared to othe rmaps.
- Small map => Smaller than the Island I believe.

Ragnarok :
- Largest map.
- The most popular/crowded  map.
- SE assets & creatures.
- Easiest Deep Sea Loot Crates to acquire.
- Easy black pearls spawns near the SW shores.
- Plenty of sneaky/hidden locations.
- 2 spots to get wyverns eggs. => NE & SW.
- Ice wyverns.
- Griffins.
- Lava Golem & Ice Cave for easymode drops.

- No Explorer Notes.
- Creatures tend to spawn at higher levels. 140+ are very common.
- Insane amount of CP from dams.
- Plenty of resources.

- Easy mode boss fight  for TP/Transmitter tekrams.

The Center :
-
Large map.
- No unique creatures.
- No oil veins.
- No Explorer Notes.
- Still popular, but also a mesher's paradise.
- The best map for an underwater based tribe.
- Flyers are mandatory.
- Plenty of solid build spots.
- Abundant resources, but key ones such as obsidian are limited to some locations.
- Easiest map imho on which to tame gigas, as they instantly respawn when killed/tamed.
- Easy boss fight for tek turrets.

Valguero :
- Large map, bigger than Center, but smaller than Rag.

- Very crowded and popular map right now.
- Same beaver dams models as seen on Rag => Easy CP.
- Plenty of resources.
- SE & Aberration assets/resources.
- No Explorer Notes.
- Plenty of sneaky/hidden base locations.
- Aberration zone which doesn't allow flyers => solid base defense & countless build spots.

- Ice/chalk golems.
- Insane loot crates overall
compared to other maps.
- Trio boss fight for more tekgrams at once.

Aberration :
- Hardest map to start on if naked (Don't spawn at the Portal, ever. Most retarded spawn as you commonly see raptors/basilisks there).
- Unlimited supply of metal.
- Same as SE. CP has to be made the old way.
- Very dependant on water pipes to grow your plants. => More problems to conceal a base.
- Near limitless amount of sneaky/hidden base spots.
- Best map to farm black pearls/organic poly.
- Rock drakes, reapers, crabs, ravagers, basilisks....
- Rockwell => Easiest way to unlock that +15 levels.
- No flyer map (Except for the Desert Titan...).
- Cliff platforms.
- I'd say that the creature level range is pretty even.

Extinction:
- Unlimited sulfur SW of the city for your burning instincts.
- Corrupted creatures. Makes building more interesting, but also way fun to kite around opponent bases.
- OSDs.
- Gachas, snow owls, manas, velos....
- Decent amount of metal on the map and from secondary sources.
- Plenty of build spots. The underground, not so much as a lot of areas are flagged as "cannot place structure there".
- Titans => easiest way to unlock some tekgrams.
- Easiest map on which to farm element/tek gear.

This is not a complete list, but more a list of things from the top of my head.

Cheers!

Also to note about abberation easy element crafting as each charge station gives 3 element it's a great easy way to power tek gens. And with cryofridges u can make a nice hiding base in radiation zone. Keep dinos podded so they dont take rad damage. plus extinction Drops tons of Hazard suits and bps making it easy to live there.

22 hours ago, Darkholis said:

@Sancudo

The Island :

- Easiest map of them all.

This is just completely false.  You can make a toon on Rag, tame a flyer and pull ASC poop out of the desert on day 1.

This game is as easy as you make it.  I've been solo'ing since I started on PVE, and I have bases on 6 maps.  You can do everything on your own (like I try to) or you can take easier routes.  It's not hard to left click some ingots and buy dinos.  Lots of older tribes will give away dinos with insane stats because they didn't get a mutation, or because they bought the 'newest line.'

There's someone on this forum who breeds Rexes with 1200 base damage and Basils with 600+ base damage who is very well known in the PVE community and he complains the game is too easy.  But he spent years breeding to make it easy.

PVP'ers are by far and away the most vocal crowd and they will tell you how easy PVE is, but at the end of the day they can just pick up a wild dino and throw it in a taming pen, they can build in caves to make them easier, and most of them don't seem to have ever sniffed a boss fight.  Oh, and they don't play official 9/10.   PVE lets you actually play the game without the distraction of someone ruining your goals.  You can actually progress the game, learn the lore, get the artifacts the way the cave designers intended (or using a newer method they didn't intend), and ascend the way the game lore intended.

I would say any of the mod maps are the easiest maps, particularly ragnarok, but then again a new player not knowing anything would have a harder time of it.  Still, the mod maps have better drops, easier caves, WAY easier to get artifacts, and higher level dino spawns making it easier to tame a good dino and start a good breeding line.   Oh... and easier bosses.  There's a reason everyone transfers to Rag to do Alpha dragon.

1 hour ago, Garet said:

This is just completely false.  You can make a toon on Rag, tame a flyer and pull ASC poop out of the desert on day 1.

You are entitled to your opinion and I respect that.
Getting said desert crates requires level 80, which is far more tedious to accomplish on Rag than on the Island with a solid notes run/alpha kills.

1 hour ago, Garet said:

This game is as easy as you make it.  I've been solo'ing since I started on PVE, and I have bases on 6 maps.

By your own admission, you played PvE only and didn't touched PvP. How can you even know what is happening on said servers?

1 hour ago, Garet said:

PVP'ers are by far and away the most vocal crowd and they will tell you how easy PVE is, but at the end of the day they can just pick up a wild dino and throw it in a taming pen, they can build in caves to make them easier, and most of them don't seem to have ever sniffed a boss fight.

As for PvP being the loudest, only WC can anwser that, but I'll gladly remind you of all the tears/threads on these forums regarding the alliance war drama and the kitting matters, which btw are PvE related issues.

I find it pretty arrogant on your end to assume PvP players can't do PvP activities as 90% of the playtime of a PvP player is actually farming/breeding/bossing to improve defenses and prepare for upcoming raids. Besides, playing PvP greatly improves the way you approach the game when starting fresh as you are forced to think ahead in terms of positionning, resources managements and tames.

1 hour ago, Garet said:

....most of them don't seem to have ever sniffed a boss fight.  Oh, and they don't play official 9/10.   PVE lets you actually play the game without the distraction of someone ruining your goals.

How can you tell if player A ever did bosses and player B didn't?

Again that's assumptions pulled from your rear end. Besides, bosses are so easy nowadays and it requires minimal investment to get started on gamma ones. Yes the solo/smaller tribe might have a harder time to do bosses on official as per the nature of said servers, but that dosen't make them inferior players.

For the record, I have well over 6k hours under my belt as of now since EA day 1 (6k actually playing the game, not hours logged on the menu or starring at dinos maturing). Of those, 5k were on official and 3k were spent on official PvP hardcore and I even did boss fights in here, which is by far the hardest way to play the game. The vast majority of the Ark playerbase wouldn't last in that gamemode more than 1-2 hours before giving up, so yeah keep telling me we suck at doing PvE related stuff....

1 hour ago, Garet said:

PVE lets you actually play the game without the distraction of someone ruining your goals.  You can actually progress the game, learn the lore, get the artifacts the way the cave designers intended (or using a newer method they didn't intend), and ascend the way the game lore intended.

Yes PvE removes the risk of being destroyed by other players, but we both know that kitting is still happening on a regular basis on official servers. Let's also not speak up too loud about the dino cap and pillar/foundation spam.

If players really wanted to play the game as per the "lore", they'd start by doing the island without server jumping to other maps in order to get creatures/items to make it easier. I'd love playing on a cluster where you have to beat the bosses in order to unlock the other maps, even in a PvP context.

1 hour ago, Garet said:

Oh, and they don't play official 9/10.

Again, assumptions out of nowehere. Yes some of us do play on unofficial, but most stick with official because admin abuse is not only a real threat, but also very frequent, even on the famous MTS cluster. Besides, most unofficial servers enforces retarded rules such as "don't over PvP", "don't grief tames" and other non-sense from a PvP aspect...

34 minutes ago, Darkholis said:

You are entitled to your opinion and I respect that.
Getting said desert crates requires level 80, which is far more tedious to accomplish on Rag than on the Island with a solid notes run/alpha kills.

By your own admission, you played PvE only and didn't touched PvP. How can you even know what is happening on said servers?

As for PvP being the loudest, only WC can anwser that, but I'll gladly remind you of all the tears/threads on these forums regarding the alliance war drama and the kitting matters, which btw are PvE related issues.

I find it pretty arrogant on your end to assume PvP players can't do PvP activities as 90% of the playtime of a PvP player is actually farming/breeding/bossing to improve defenses and prepare for upcoming raids. Besides, playing PvP greatly improves the way you approach the game when starting fresh as you are forced to think ahead in terms of positionning, resources managements and tames.

How can you tell if player A ever did bosses and player B didn't?

Again that's assumptions pulled from your rear end. Besides, bosses are so easy nowadays and it requires minimal investment to get started on gamma ones. Yes the solo/smaller tribe might have a harder time to do bosses on official as per the nature of said servers, but that dosen't make them inferior players.

For the record, I have well over 6k hours under my belt as of now since EA day 1 (6k actually playing the game, not hours logged on the menu or starring at dinos maturing). Of those, 5k were on official and 3k were spent on official PvP hardcore and I even did boss fights in here, which is by far the hardest way to play the game. The vast majority of the Ark playerbase wouldn't last in that gamemode more than 1-2 hours before giving up, so yeah keep telling me we suck at doing PvE related stuff....

Yes PvE removes the risk of being destroyed by other players, but we both know that kitting is still happening on a regular basis on official servers. Let's also not speak up too loud about the dino cap and pillar/foundation spam.

If players really wanted to play the game as per the "lore", they'd start by doing the island without server jumping to other maps in order to get creatures/items to make it easier. I'd love playing on a cluster where you have to beat the bosses in order to unlock the other maps, even in a PvP context.

Again, assumptions out of nowehere. Yes some of us do play on unofficial, but most stick with official because admin abuse is not only a real threat, but also very frequent, even on the famous MTS cluster. Besides, most unofficial servers enforces retarded rules such as "don't over PvP", "don't grief tames" and other non-sense from a PvP aspect...

Do you even read these forums?  There's like 2 threads on PVE griefing for every 100 threads about PVP'ers getting banned, meshing being an issue, suchandsuch dino being too OP, etc. etc. etc.   The number one answer when a PVP'er complains is "go play unofficial"   These are not assumptions, these are observations based on a year of listening to this on these forums.   I don't have to play PVP to listen to what PVP'ers have to say about it, here, and on Reddit.   Not to mention this isn't raptoring the year 2000.  You can literally watch people play the game constantly online streaming sessions.

And YOU assume I never played PVP.

1 minute ago, Garet said:

Do you even read these forums?  There's like 2 threads on PVE griefing for every 100 threads about PVP'ers getting banned, meshing being an issue, suchandsuch dino being too OP, etc. etc. etc.   The number one answer when a PVP'er complains is "go play unofficial"   These are not assumptions, these are observations based on a year of listening to this on these forums.   I don't have to play PVP to listen to what PVP'ers have to say about it, here, and on Reddit.   Not to mention this isn't raptoring the year 2000.  You can literally watch people play the game constantly online streaming sessions.

And YOU assume I never played PVP.

Good job ignoring 90% of the post I made.

Most of your initial post is "the island is not the easiest"  and then went bitching PvP players for no reasons.
Besides, the OP clearly stated he was looking for advice for solo PvP.

Maybe if you look under my name, you'll see I spent quite a great deal of time on these forums.

8 minutes ago, Darkholis said:

Good job ignoring 90% of the post I made.

Most of your initial post is "the island is not the easiest"  and then went bitching PvP players for no reasons.
Besides, the OP clearly stated he was looking for advice for solo PvP.

Maybe if you look under my name, you'll see I spent quite a great deal of time on these forums.

Because I'm not going to multi-quote point for point argue with someone on the internet.  At the end of the day, the OP will see which one of us was more accurate.

I've played several thousand hours on Official PVP servers. My advice if you are doing PVP which I assume you are as its the default mode of the game, would be to play on The Island map. It's a relatively compact map but has just about everything you need and the farming life is good. There is no environmental stuff to contend with and the wild dinos for the most part aren't really very threatening so it's easy to get established. The Island map also offers good strong vegetation in many parts of the map which can help you hide your small base. 

8 minutes ago, ForzaProiettile said:

Nonsense. The majority of whinge and whine threads come from PVE players. "Game is too hard Wildcard", "stop nerfing my dinos", "stop balancing the game", "people keep luring wild dinos to my base", "I built a giant base and now its really laggy for me. Fix ur game Wildcard" and so forth.

Now that's nonsense.

Both modes have their issues but the game being too hard complaints are mostly from stone beach bobs getting wiped by the Alpha, OP stats complaint is a PvP issue, the reason those nerfs happened is a PvP issue. Hell, you're the best PvPer to ever PvP, I'm surprised you don't get more irritated with people who don't adapt to a new dino and just ask for a nerf right away. 

A truly cunning PvP player could deal with any dino in its originally released design which is the way it is intended.

As far as lag, that's an issue for both game modes (or was before cryo's) especially for PvP players who called DDOS and aimbot every time a server stuttered a little (due to thousands of dino's occupying some crazy big bases with more spam placed than a PvE map has pillar spam) or someone made a good shot.

Neither mode is innocent on these forums.  

I played Scorched Earth solo for a pretty long time on Legacy before I was brought into a tribe by another solo player. I would not recommend Aberration or Scorched Earth because it they are very aggressive maps, Extinction is a bit easier in the city (craft a bow with some arrows and you should be able to defend yourself against most things, i've killed corrupted rexes with bows), although drops and veins are easier with multiple people. The Island, Ragnarok, Valgeuro and other maps that are less aimed at multiple people are a recommendation.

Archived