Rio4201

Valguero 558 still down since 5am est.

Valguero 558 still down since 5am est.

Yep, still down, tickets were and still are being thrown at support to get the server back up starting at 5am. Ok, so I'm gonna complain first and get that out of my system, then i'll get to the constructive part.   I play with 1.. not 2, not 3, 1 avatar.  I travel between maps with that single avatar. When the server goes down on my main server, it prevents anyone who is in the same boat I am from playing.  I've been in the IT world for 25+ years, so I'm aware that there could be a multitude of factors causing our server outage. Would it be too much to ask for Wildcard to offer an accurate server status and take the 30 seconds out of someone's day to post what's going on.  There's a large community of players sitting in discord right now waiting for the server to either come back up, or for something to be announced in general about the outages.  

Normally, I'd assume it was Tuesday's maintenance but as it stands right now, I'm looking at alive and well Valguero servers in the official list, all my other servers are also up and live. So. That heavily leans towards a machine issue.  The time it takes to fix the issue is relatively small:

Motherboard replacement - 1 hour tops.

Memory replacement - 10 minutes tops.

PSU replacement - 10 minutes tops

CPU/GPU fans - 30 minutes tops.

It went down at 5am, it's now 12:30 in the afternoon.  That's 7 1/2 hours of downtime..  I could have built an entire system, installed the OS, installed the dedicated server and had this thing back up in running in under half that time and it's driving me NUTS. It might not be hardware, I don't know, but that's kind of the point. The perception being offered doesn't necessarily match what's going on. Never know, by the time I'm done writing this, the server could magically reappear, but it still underlines an issue. 

Is the support ticket system broken? 

Is the server outage form not being paid attention to?

What's the turnaround on an outage ticket "supposed" to be ie the CLA?

Is there some sort of disconnect in the process of reporting outages and the datacenters taking action?

Suggestion:

Provide more information than just silence. 

Add a server specific status message/motd letting the players know when things are down and when to expect an ETA.

Re-examine if need be, the process of outage reporting and time it takes to get your contacted datacenters moving.

While I'm extremely annoyed, I'm also extremely understanding, technology has issues, it just happens, all we can do is learn from it, and base our next design with the wisdom we have gathered using the old. Meanwhile, I'm a beach Bob on a server I'll probably only play for the day or whenever the server finally gets put back together and running. lol.  Again, I'm trying to remain upbeat here, I realize "nobody on these forums can help you" is the response I'm gonna receive, I'm just saying, this is an opportunity to learn from what people are thinking/seeing and perceiving and to design it better with that opportunity presenting itself.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When the box with our server corrupted - it took 36 hours (maybe 48 hours) to get it back. 

Yes those repairs can be completed quickly on YOUR PC. ARK uses a server hosting company. The box goes down, they contact the company, the company has to get the ticket, process the issue, get the fix. That would take a few hours (not including timezone issues) even if they only had a few machines. Multiple machines, multiple games, many many boxes. Many more issues. Simply put, you must wait your turn. We learn to wait in queue since we are children. Patience is the lesson of the day. 

24 minutes ago, IrishAlexis said:

When the box with our server corrupted - it took 36 hours (maybe 48 hours) to get it back. 

Yes those repairs can be completed quickly on YOUR PC. ARK uses a server hosting company. The box goes down, they contact the company, the company has to get the ticket, process the issue, get the fix. That would take a few hours (not including timezone issues) even if they only had a few machines. Multiple machines, multiple games, many many boxes. Many more issues. Simply put, you must wait your turn. We learn to wait in queue since we are children. Patience is the lesson of the day. 

Actually, no, I'm not talking about a desktop, I meant a rackmount server, commercial grade.  But that's really besides the point. Patience however is the lesson of the day, it just really annoys me knowing that this process could have been taken care of much sooner than it so far has.  I would imagine, these leased server providers are using rackmount setups if they are worth their salt. Not to say that a hosting company couldn't use simple Dell Precision tower servers instead, but rackmount is really a more efficient way of handling it. With the right board and accessories tho, a tower could host nearly a full cluster by itself. 

I would just be happy for some sort of confirmation that they are aware and working on it, that's really the most annoying part. I can submit a ticket every hour on the hour it's down, but if you never get any notification that they received it, how are you supposed to be reassured that they actually did? lol

Another member of the NA-PvE-Official-Valguero558 community. Fifteen hours have gone by and it is still down and no official response. I do not know what has happened / is happening but the lack of a response or any measure of transparency is both discouraging and upsetting. Even if it we are looking at a very real possibility that progress(most likely and expected) or worse tames, structures and or dare I say it survivors will be lost a response should be, should have been given. I love the game and appreciate the work put into it over the years, bugs and all, however, this level of silence needs to cease being the norm. 

Edited by Invellous

When I played back on legacy, my main server, literally numbered in the top 10 original servers, was down from Friday morning until the following Monday afternoon. The whole weekend! It sucks, but best we can do now is head to alt servers and play there a bit or dust off our other poor neglected games. No Man's Sky here I come! XD

also another Val 558 member here ;)

Edited by Jolonar
additional info

Another 558 member here, and considering I had a wyvern out and due for imprinting, as well as a few other babies that are now probably going to either not exist due to a rollback or starve to death because the server's down for an indeterminate amount of time and there's no way to know when it'll come back up and the clock will start ticking again, I'd really like to have some idea as to when to expect this to be resolved so I can try to salvage what I can.

Edited by Nightdagger

24 minutes ago, IrishAlexis said:

Your babies will be fine. The server is offline. That means time is stopped, standing still. They are not maturing, starving, etc. 

Until the server comes back up and we don't know it and they're sitting out for potentially hours before we realize it's alive.  The server's only stopped while it's stopped.  You expect us to sit here and click refresh every 5 minutes for what's now been 15 hours waiting for it to come back to life?

All we're asking for is for it to be acknowledged as a problem (it's still not listed as a known server outage), and to have a timeline so that we know when to start paying attention again.

45 minutes ago, Nightdagger said:

Until the server comes back up and we don't know it and they're sitting out for potentially hours before we realize it's alive.  The server's only stopped while it's stopped.  You expect us to sit here and click refresh every 5 minutes for what's now been 15 hours waiting for it to come back to life?

All we're asking for is for it to be acknowledged as a problem (it's still not listed as a known server outage), and to have a timeline so that we know when to start paying attention again.

yep they do, just like the phone company, utilities company, cable company, etc.  "a technician will arrive sometime between 9am-5pm to resolve the issue".  That in itself has become standard business practice, and why? the people allow it.  after all, they are just one person, what can they do to instigate change?

but back on the matter on the OP's original post, yes it can be that quick to replace a rack mounted system depending on what happened, however its also depends on if they have any replacement parts currently in stock, and the data center that the official servers are hosted on, well, they really aren't the best, so its most likely they don't have any of those items in stock and have to get them in, even if they can get them locally, thats still a couple hours. If its a hard drive failure, and the are attempting data recovery from the drive, that in itself can take hours on end, not to mention if that in itself fails, restoring a backup can take anywhere from 1 hour to 5 hours easy depending on the amount of data that was on the drive, keep in mind each server contains a cluster of instances of ark, rather then just a single instance on a single server.

And after all, we are talking about a data center, in general they aren't known for their promptness when systems fail no matter which one your referring to..