Community Crunch 197: Beginner Servers, ExtraLife, and On The Horizon

StudioWildcard

This is awesome that they're doing this with the QoL catalogue, it's a nice change from what they normally do! I kind of realized one of the things Wildcard was doing wrong - normally they just keep moving on from DLC to DLC to DLC, without really considering to go back and improve/rework the other maps and the mutiplayer, no matter how busted the community says they are. But now, I think this catalogue is a sign Wildcard will maybe start considering the community's suggestions on how to fix the game and make it better. Then, maybe after Genesis part 1 and 2, Wildcard will start doing stuff like this and improving the game a lot more often. Hopefully.

Also, what are the exact dates that HLNA will be updated with some Genesis lore?

PS4 Item/Dino Transfers have been disabled for what over 2 weeks now!? You acknowledge that this is a HUGE inconvenience and it is! What if people had babies raising on other servers? What if your base location requires you to transfer in resources? What if your other base or ally tribe on other server under attack? What if you had a second base with no tames on a diff server and have to fill generators? What if someone is raising dragons or drakes off the original server? Above and beyond all that its getting really boring with no PVP and being on a dead server. I totally get you have to disable transfers to fix your issue but to inconvenience the entire PS4 community because of someone who broke the rules with no compensation is quite ridiculous.The very least you guys can do is just keep 2x active for peets sake. Ive been stuck solo grinding on Center :( when normally id just bring a black box amount of metal back from ab and call it a day lol... 

• Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, Chubchub2020 said:

We have multiple players on ps4 that cannot play the game at all either SP or on our server since the last update. The game immediately crashes and WC has not responded to any of them. This is very disappointing.

I ran into this problem. What I did was delete and reinstall the game, then ran a de-frag (Google: rebuild ps4 database) on my ps4's hard drive. Started right up after that and even started running a little smoother.

36 minutes ago, XxxGodzxxX said:

Why would you ever want to do that ?   LOL

"Give me a rex! I'm new give me a rex!"

"How are you all my n***ers"

"I am a goddamn dragon (yes a real dragon) and you must pay attention to me, otherwise I will harass the whole goddamn server until they make you do so."

• Haha 1

On 9/10/2019 at 3:57 AM, TheKaijuKing said:

Let’s hope they show off more of Genesis.

11 hours ago, ArkTheorist123 said:

This is awesome that they're doing this with the QoL catalogue, it's a nice change from what they normally do! I kind of realized one of the things Wildcard was doing wrong - normally they just keep moving on from DLC to DLC to DLC, without really considering to go back and improve/rework the other maps and the mutiplayer, no matter how busted the community says they are. But now, I think this catalogue is a sign Wildcard will maybe start considering the community's suggestions on how to fix the game and make it better. Then, maybe after Genesis part 1 and 2, Wildcard will start doing stuff like this and improving the game a lot more often. Hopefully.

Also, what are the exact dates that HLNA will be updated with some Genesis lore?

sadly, wildcard will probably not have enough money and revenue to use when fixing the game, after genesis part 2 they will probably only be able to go so far before a new revenue model appears, a sequel, or something, we can just wait to see until 2021! but keep up the spitit, i like people like you who acctualy credit wildcard,  Thumbs up!! :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

With the implementation of the Beginner servers being wiped, when will they fix the upload problem?  Uploads have been missing since they were removed from all Xbox users on all servers.  When they were brought back, they "forgot" the Beginner servers.  This needs to be fixed ASAP now that the servers will be wiped Oct. 1, 2019.

To put in my two cents, I'm sorry to see these Beginner servers being wiped regularly.  I enjoyed the slower, relaxing pace and helping countless new players.  Now that any progress I could make, albeit it limited due to the server limitations, seems pointless, I doubt I will return and many new players will be without helping hands in the form of information, advice and items/dinos to get them started.

• Like 2

I play on a beginner server for the challenge, ironically. And to tame level 1 dinos for breeding, but since UPLOADS HAVE BEEN DISABLED FOR OVER A MONTH I can't do anything with them. For the love of Rockwell, please turn on uploads so I can transfer all my dinos off before you wipe everything. I've put in a ticket and harassed Ced on twitter, but still nothing. Just take the 30 seconds to change the server setting before crapping over everything I've done.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, absurdlyobfuscated said:

I play on a beginner server for the challenge, ironically. And to tame level 1 dinos for breeding, but since UPLOADS HAVE BEEN DISABLED FOR OVER A MONTH I can't do anything with them. For the love of Rockwell, please turn on uploads so I can transfer all my dinos off before you wipe everything. I've put in a ticket and harassed Ced on twitter, but still nothing. Just take the 30 seconds to change the server setting before crapping over everything I've done.

I really hope he gets back to you since I'm in the same boat. I have been waiting for transfers on the beginner to open back up so I can move my stuff off of there. I've put in some hard work there and just want to be able to walk away with it. 

Since the developers have absolutely no idea whats happening on these beginner servers let me break it down for you. It makes new players think that it is an impossibly difficult game.  

The level cap on players preventing you from taming anything decent combined with the level cap of dinos makes for an absolute disaster for anyone making a 10 meter stroll from their base. Alpha raptors are gods here and nothing these beginners tame will stand any chance(which wouldnt be terrible but they are EVERYWHERE).

Taking to the skies on a ptera? With that 300 stamina be careful where you land, it attracts one or two tiny BUGS and that ptera is now dead.

Beginners love rafts, nearly everyone uses them.. but SORRY because  leedsichys cover ever square inch of the ocean on the island.

Play on xbox and want to upload your beginner tames before the server gets wiped? Too bad we shut down uploads to stop duping.. OH WAIT YOU CANT DUPE ON THESE SERVERS ANYWAYS HAHA WILDCARD STRIKES AGAIN

Edited by Carlsjroo
  • Like 1

"Since early game in ARK is the most challenging, we saw this as a low-stress way of getting up to speed. We didn't intend for these servers to be a long-term place to become established.  Because of this, we'll be implementing scheduled wipes and announcing the future dates in advance. "

Frankly, I'd like to hear some actual reasons for regular wipes.  All I see from Wildcard's statement above is "we didn't intend for these servers to be a long-term place to become established."  I'd like to know how this is causing any problems. 

Most players that come to the Beginner servers do not stick around, but the ones who do (these long-term establishments) are the ones HELPING the new players.  I can't count how many players I've helped from basic questions such as, "I'm hungry, how do I eat?" to providing some basic tools and dinos to helping with the alpha raptor infestation.  I've seen other long-term residents do the same.   Keep in mind the ones who do stick around are quite few so I'm not sure how this has created a problem.

The reality is that the Beginner servers are HARD, much harder than regular official servers.  Some of these issues outlined by Carlsjroo.  The level caps, the inability to get any good engrams or blueprints, the difficulty in taming better dinos able to help you defend your base, and the seemingly increased spawns of alpha raptors makes for a daunting introduction to the game.

The things the Beginner servers DO have  going for them is:  land is easy to acquire and there is a LOT less lag.  Because few players stick around, the numerous  small bases littering the beaches decay regularly.  Due to the absence of large bases filled with an overrun number of rexes, gigas and wyverns the lag is significantly less.  There's also the challenge to see what one can accomplish given the restrictions.  These factors appeal to some veteran players who value these perks over the limitations.

The dye is cast and I know that the Beginner servers will be wiped regardless, but to Wildcard I say, for the love of the game, PLEASE ENABLE ITEM AND DINO TRANSFERS!!

Edit:  Note my experience has been with PVE servers so I cannot speak for the experiences of the PVP Beginner servers.

Edited by Ansebbian
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/11/2019 at 8:18 AM, Drakoviche said:

I'd like to point out that people don't shoot tek turrets with a tek tapajara, they shoot the giant hatch frames and that makes the turrets come down, your nerf about increasing turret hp is literally useless, and how about an event for small tribes for once? All this official bullpoop is really annouying when half your player population is on small tribes.

The majority  of player base plays pve...

• Thanks 1