Therizinosaur is stupidly overpowered

Zanatio

The health and damage stats of the Therizinosaur have to be bugged! It's the only explanation for how, after inadvertently wandering across one of those stupid overgrown chickens, it proceeded to quite easily rip apart me, my Stego, my Trike, my two Raptors and my 5 Dilos without so much as even breaking a sweat (so to speak). I will, of course, take revenge of the thing by building one of those spiky wooden wall things and provoking the Theri to mindlessly attack it until it dies, but my vengeance will be bittersweet considering all the wasted hours I'd put into taming all the dinos the damn chicken killed. Of course, I've also got to somehow find the thing since I'd been on a scouting expedition miles from my base when I encountered it!

The tragedy is real.

Oh, we all have Theri stories.

My 1st Theri tame was an 8 hour berry tame ordeal because I let it wake up at like 97% tamed because I was reading about it on Ark wiki, so I had to knock it back out and let it starve down again.

That thing was a revenge tame that slaughtered my base and countless dino's. It also tore through my wooden spike walls so make metal if you are planning on it killing itself that way.

Still after I got that thing, I never struggled for prime meat, flowers, mushrooms, berries, meat, wood, thatch, fiber, or protection again and it was only like a level 60 or 80 tame. 

As a matter of fact, I now know my goal when I pop onto my single player game today. 

2 hours ago, Zanatio said:

The health and damage stats of the Therizinosaur have to be bugged! It's the only explanation for how, after inadvertently wandering across one of those stupid overgrown chickens, it proceeded to quite easily rip apart me, my Stego, my Trike, my two Raptors and my 5 Dilos without so much as even breaking a sweat (so to speak). I will, of course, take revenge of the thing by building one of those spiky wooden wall things and provoking the Theri to mindlessly attack it until it dies, but my vengeance will be bittersweet considering all the wasted hours I'd put into taming all the dinos the damn chicken killed. Of course, I've also got to somehow find the thing since I'd been on a scouting expedition miles from my base when I encountered it!

The tragedy is real.

Their attacks pierce armor.  They do pretty great damage, and have slightly inferior HP to a Rex.  Therizinosaurus are terrifying.  EDIT:  Their headbutt attack will apply torpor to you, even while you are mounted.  I have been KOed OFF OF A DINO while fighting one because I had no armor on, and it was a high level (the Theri I was fighting).  As I fell to the ground unconscious, it killed me and I quickly respawned and got back to get my dino away, just barely in time.

I started over on a server recently, and after a while I had crops up.  I crop-tamed a level 65 on 2x:  Took about 3 hours but was really worth it.  It has a ton of HP compared to my other things, moves way faster, harvests nearly everything, and can keep me really safe.  You should knock it out, struggle through the tame, and name it "Dum-dum."  Enslave it in your tribe as retribution for your dinos.

21 minutes ago, TheDonn said:

Their headbutt attack will apply torpor to you, even while you are mounted.  I have been KOed OFF OF A DINO while fighting one because I had no armor on, and it was a high level (the Theri I was fighting).  As I fell to the ground unconscious, it killed me and I quickly respawned and got back to get my dino away, just barely in time.

Happened to my tribemate because he runs around naked. Lost his best direbear. Which was kinda odd because it should have owned the theri even unridden.

Thats why i always atleast wear desert cloth and have a hatchet, sword and climbing picks on me. When your not prepared is when things go wrong.

To the OP, tame that theri if you can. They are the MVP of the herbivores and will help you progress in just about every area if the game.

Love the Theri, my favorite tame!  Sure is a pain finding a decent saddle BP for them though.  When I did find one it was an ascendant BP which you would think is amazing right?  Well the mats for it being 35K hide, 16K fiber, 14K wood, and 6500 metal ingots.  Needless to say I didn't have anywhere to actually make it let alone gather all them mats LOL.

The upfront cost might scare you but it's one of the best creatures currently in Ark to defeat bosses.

- Herbivore => Ease of breeding.
- Herbivore => Sweet Veggie Cakes.
- Herbivore => Fire resistance for PvP (Won't work with the dragon).
- Decent hp/dmg.
- Easier to acquire saddle BPs than for rexes.
- Smaller hitbox. => Makes the tek cave a breeze, but you are also more vulnerable to purlovias.
- Insane jack-of-all-trades farmer.

I feel like they are large enough for a new player to deduce that they are dangerous.  We’ve all been there though, you see this feathered asshole wandering around and you think it will be funny to run up and bully it, big mistake.  Next thing you know you have three feet of chicken talon imbedded in your ass.

They were supposed to be really, really hard to tame, able to damage stone, hit 4 high and need lots of narcos and top kibble. Therefore they were supposed to be rare tames, and were op'd to make them prizes.

Then that plan met the players of Ark. Guess what happened lol. And now everyone's got an OP rex-shredder, or ten. I don't even use them and I have two top-levels with good stats, and a bunch of fert eggs. Y'know, just 'cause. 

On 8/29/2019 at 12:19 PM, Zanatio said:

The health and damage stats of the Therizinosaur have to be bugged!

Don't be fooled by the feathers, it's not a giant, friendly housepet, it's basically a rex with feathers.

The good news is that they're a lot easier to avoid than rexes, because they won't chase you from a long distance, they just get cranky when you get close.

Having said that, I feel you pain. Everyone has stories of losing a lot of time because something surprised them and wrecked their stuff or killed their tames, it's all part of playing a survival game. This is ARK's way of reminding you that you should never feel completely safe, always be aware of your surroundings.

p.s. Also, as others have said, you'll have a completely different opinion once you tame one, your ability to deal with threats will go up by a lot.

Yeah unless I'm on a giga I give tickle chickens a wide berth, you get murdered off a wyvern a couple of times and you truly come to respect them. Like others have said though they don't aggro unless you get up close and are pretty easy to kite away but you'd definitely need a flyer as very few things on the ground are going to outrun it.

That being said you can't imagine life without one once you've tamed it, so freaking useful for so many things. Personally I wish the Theri could use it's alt attack to cut hair off of people and ovis like the scissors do. Mostly because it would be very useful not to ever have to repair scissors again but I must also admit I want to have a fabulously sassy neon colored Theri hairstylist named Ferdinand, always been a dream.

My Theri was an accidental/opportunistic tame on the center map. I was on a raptor when one started coming after us, so I decided to use the raptor's speed to try to tame it. I could run far/fast enough ahead to get a few shots off with tranq darts (long neck rifle) before I'd have to run for our lives again. I was on one of the islands, so we went around in circles a couple of times before I finally knocked it out, and it took forever to tame, but I have to admit, it became one of my favorite exploration mounts after I tamed it. I didn't know much about them when I tamed it, but quickly realized it was more useful and could keep me safer than my raptor.

• 1 month later...

Dang this oversized chickens will put a beating into your sorry ass if you try to mess with them as they really like their space. They are also decently fast so if your still a beach noob and accidentaly get in the path of this guys expect to be ready to respawn at some other random location of the map and start over, because they will literally guard your stuff (personal experience).

So unless you wanna se the furry of an angry oversized clawed chicken then youd better steer clear

I remember when I first started playing I lost a couple of bases to Theris.  I'd just be chilling inside when I would hear the battle music start and see one butchering my poorly penned low lvl tames (typical bob stuff).  I was SO frustrated.  Doesn't really happen anymore though, but I tend not to leave tames outside my base anymore.

Archived