Another Broken Patch install.

caleb68

• Volunteer Moderator
2 minutes ago, caleb68 said:

if I do that while its downloading anything Ark I will definitely be stuck in a loop, even if I pause it before doing.  Ark thus far is the only game doing this, even assassin creed black flag (large game) went without a hitch on that pc.  that's the only games installed on it so far, steams a clean install, even bought a new copy of ark for that pc. it finished the 6.1gb download and installed in 'seconds' unlike the first one, and proceed to download one more patch, much smaller then the others, but finally finished on that pc, it doesn't seem to like ark much either lol... joined a server and was pretty choppy, was tweaking the settings as you replied.

When you go to the downloads tab, is the ARK logo mentioning Workshop? If so, it might be stuck installing a mod and not the game itself.

• Volunteer Moderator
5 minutes ago, caleb68 said:

clean install, new steam, new steam account, no mods installed on it.  

As far as I know, mod subscriptions are bound to your Steam account and persistent regardless of where you are installing the game. And yes, you mentioned it worked on your new account, but might be the issue of your other? Really just throwing ideas at this point.

• Volunteer Moderator
1 minute ago, caleb68 said:

guess you missed what I said, its a new steam account with a new copy of ark.

I didn't miss it, I edited my post right after posting. I know you now successfully downloaded the game on a fresh install, but don't you still have issue updating it on your other or is it now working on both?

on the other one the only way to fix the loop was validating the files,  after validating the files, and it downloading 2.2gb of files (after patch kept installing and installing and installing), everything was fine.  that pc has more then ample room as well, 4tb space with 1/2 of it free.   Far as mods on that one:

structures plus, castles keeps and forts medieval architecture, echo's camping decor, eco's shopping décor

But, if its 'redownloading a mod' why would it only do it when it installs a patch? and if its getting stuck during downloading a mod do to incompatibility, wouldn't that be a base code problem? as it would be installing a mod that isn't for the current version of the application, which in turn could very well cause a loop.  doesn't explain the 2 6.1gb downloads first one taking 35 minutes to install and the second taking virtually seconds, and I mean seconds like 3-4 seconds.

Ark patches taking long to install is due the file structure it uses and game needing to first download the patch, then copy files needing to update, to temporary location, do update, copy files back to game directory. And doing that on nn ssd will take a looong time. As with the games files compressed on large files the update copies the whole large file to new location. Basicly you may need 200 gb to install the update. 

Also ppl having lot of space free and using multiple drives can mean steam trying to patch on a drive with not enough space. 

3 hours ago, Luewen said:

Ark patches taking long to install is due the file structure it uses and game needing to first download the patch, then copy files needing to update, to temporary location, do update, copy files back to game directory. And doing that on nn ssd will take a looong time. As with the games files compressed on large files the update copies the whole large file to new location. Basicly you may need 200 gb to install the update. 

Also ppl having lot of space free and using multiple drives can mean steam trying to patch on a drive with not enough space. 

Please go back and reread the subsequent comments by the moderators and the following replies to those posts.

• Volunteer Moderator
7 hours ago, caleb68 said:

on the other one the only way to fix the loop was validating the files,  after validating the files, and it downloading 2.2gb of files (after patch kept installing and installing and installing), everything was fine.  that pc has more then ample room as well, 4tb space with 1/2 of it free.   Far as mods on that one:

structures plus, castles keeps and forts medieval architecture, echo's camping decor, eco's shopping décor

But, if its 'redownloading a mod' why would it only do it when it installs a patch? and if its getting stuck during downloading a mod do to incompatibility, wouldn't that be a base code problem? as it would be installing a mod that isn't for the current version of the application, which in turn could very well cause a loop.  doesn't explain the 2 6.1gb downloads first one taking 35 minutes to install and the second taking virtually seconds, and I mean seconds like 3-4 seconds.

More often than not downloading issues are client-side but could also be an issue on Steam side as well. In any case it couldn't be an issue with the game code itself since that code is never ran until executed on your computer. If there was a mod mismatch, or a corrupted binary, etc. then it would throw errors when attempting to launch the game but it would have downloaded fine regardless. I mentioned the mods because you were trying on a fresh installation, but unless mods have an update themselves they are not updated when the game itself.

Download speed can be a factor of the location you selected to download games from Steam and how that specific data center is busy at that time. I know for a fact Steam client is capped at 10% your internet speed (for example, I limit my gaming pc to 100mb/s of a 1gb/s connection and cannot download games faster than 10mb/s). However, now that I think about it, I believe Steam maintenance are scheduled at about the time you posted this thread so might be the reason why.

2 hours ago, invincibleqc said:

More often than not downloading issues are client-side but could also be an issue on Steam side as well. In any case it couldn't be an issue with the game code itself since that code is never ran until executed on your computer. If there was a mod mismatch, or a corrupted binary, etc. then it would throw errors when attempting to launch the game but it would have downloaded fine regardless. I mentioned the mods because you were trying on a fresh installation, but unless mods have an update themselves they are not updated when the game itself.

Download speed can be a factor of the location you selected to download games from Steam and how that specific data center is busy at that time. I know for a fact Steam client is capped at 10% your internet speed (for example, I limit my gaming pc to 100mb/s of a 1gb/s connection and cannot download games faster than 10mb/s). However, now that I think about it, I believe Steam maintenance are scheduled at about the time you posted this thread so might be the reason why.

I don't think its being understood exactly whats happening.  it downloads,  then it installs, then it downloads again, then it installs, then downloads again, then installs. that's the loop it keeps getting stuck in.  as I said before none of the other games on that pc are having any issues with downloading and installing the updates, just ark.  

now correct me if im wrong here but doesn't ark handle the install of the update? steam only providing the download of the update? seems odd that if it were steam having the issue that it would only happen with ark, and none of the other games.

• Volunteer Moderator
44 minutes ago, caleb68 said:

I don't think its being understood exactly whats happening.  it downloads,  then it installs, then it downloads again, then it installs, then downloads again, then installs. that's the loop it keeps getting stuck in.  as I said before none of the other games on that pc are having any issues with downloading and installing the updates, just ark.  

now correct me if im wrong here but doesn't ark handle the install of the update? steam only providing the download of the update? seems odd that if it were steam having the issue that it would only happen with ark, and none of the other games.

When you install/update a game on Steam, it is being downloaded and unpacked in the ../Steam/steamapps/downloading/ directory. When the downloading is complete, Steam is moving/overwriting the installed/updated files to the ../Steam/steamapps/common/<game> directory. This is the whole installation process. The game itself is not running any code until you launch it (for ARK on Windows; until ../Steam/steamapps/common/ARK/ShooterGame/Binaries/Win64/ShooterGame.exe is executed either manually or through the Steam library).

1 hour ago, invincibleqc said:

When you install/update a game on Steam, it is being downloaded and unpacked in the ../Steam/steamapps/downloading/ directory. When the downloading is complete, Steam is moving/overwriting the installed/updated files to the ../Steam/steamapps/common/<game> directory. This is the whole installation process. The game itself is not running any code until you launch it (for ARK on Windows; until ../Steam/steamapps/common/ARK/ShooterGame/Binaries/Win64/ShooterGame.exe is executed either manually or through the Steam library).

so in otherwords your just supply a bunch of lose replacement files.

now the only question is why is ark the only game that messes up like this.  checked drive, alls fine with it so its not a write issue.

3 hours ago, ShinDude said:

effed up all my favourites,,, (1 that is trying to like the game again) Cant log in . I'm done for good this time. Bye

yeah the patches do that to me as well, removes them all, its very annoying that it does that, but it does....  here's a tip for you to get them back easy enough:

in steam go to view -> Servers then click the 'History' tab,  its sorted by default the most recent servers you've been on, this will at least allow you to rebuild your favorites list into ark.

Archived