Another Broken Patch install.

caleb68

Funny how this only happens with ark.

waited till the server went offline, closed down ark and it started updating... 201mb patch.... installed... then... started downloading again... 200mb.... 400mb 800mb... 1,3gb... yep the total size just kept increasing... again..... this is the second patch recently that wild card has put out that's done this, two patches ago, and now this one.  Great job, just great. 

Now the only way im gonna be able to fix this is by validating the game, cause its going to be stuck in this raptoring loop forever if I don't. 

in the mean time I'm betting I am dead, all my gear is gone, and so is my argy… again... due to a patch once again getting 'stuck' on its 'update'.

57 minutes ago, Aylana314159 said:

Patch day is Tuesday and has been for a while. 

I love peanut gallery posts, obviously your just trolling the forums and haven't even played, nor read the patch notes, else you'd know there was a patch today.

Now back on the topic at hand:
The 201mb patch screwed up 2.2gb of ark files.  Same as last time this happened.  Great job! I wonder if it screwed up peoples Undedicated Servers like last time as well.

1 hour ago, caleb68 said:

I love peanut gallery posts, obviously your just trolling the forums and haven't even played, nor read the patch notes, else you'd know there was a patch today.

Now back on the topic at hand:
The 201mb patch screwed up 2.2gb of ark files.  Same as last time this happened.  Great job! I wonder if it screwed up peoples Undedicated Servers like last time as well.

They announced a while back that they would be adopting a once a week update cycle on Tuesdays.

I am at work, so no I haven't played today. Steam usually updates while I am at work.

7 hours ago, Aylana314159 said:

They announced a while back that they would be adopting a once a week update cycle on Tuesdays.

I am at work, so no I haven't played today. Steam usually updates while I am at work.

Then you shouldn't be making posts on topics you know nothing about.  Thank you for confirming you had no clue what you were talking about when you made your original post and that it was a peanut gallery post.

• Volunteer Moderator
3 minutes ago, caleb68 said:

Then you shouldn't be making posts on topics you know nothing about.  Thank you for confirming you had no clue what you were talking about when you made your original post and that it was a peanut gallery post.

I can understand you are frustrated by the situation but there is absolutely no reason to take your rage on someone that was just trying to offer insight on the update schedule. If you cannot handle others' comments then perhaps you should not be posting on a public forums.

Just now, invincibleqc said:

I can understand you are frustrated by the situation but there is absolutely no reason to take your rage on someone that was just trying to offer insight on the update schedule. If you cannot handle others' comments then perhaps you should not be posting on a public forums.

oh nice.  So they got upset because i said they should of actually looked instead of just posted saying "patches are on tuesday".  but they couldn't be bothered to look and see, and posted anyhow, then had to come back and do it again.  And I called it a peanut gallery post because they didn't bother to look.  But yeah they got upset and reported it to a moderator, and I get the slap for it. thats nice. Thanks.  You know its because of posts like that that topics go off topic.  but hey okay fine, call me wrong for stating the obvious.

10 hours ago, caleb68 said:

Funny how this only happens with ark.

waited till the server went offline, closed down ark and it started updating... 201mb patch.... installed... then... started downloading again... 200mb.... 400mb 800mb... 1,3gb... yep the total size just kept increasing... again..... this is the second patch recently that wild card has put out that's done this, two patches ago, and now this one.  Great job, just great. 

Now the only way im gonna be able to fix this is by validating the game, cause its going to be stuck in this raptoring loop forever if I don't. 

in the mean time I'm betting I am dead, all my gear is gone, and so is my argy… again... due to a patch once again getting 'stuck' on its 'update'.

It is strange. On my PC yesterday's 201 MB update was downloaded... and that's it. I started game and played without problems. No additional downloads happened.

6 hours ago, caleb68 said:

When I got home my computer had updated and was ready to play, just like always. 

• Volunteer Moderator

What I find difficult to understand is how WC are always putting out broken patches? I never once experience issues like this. So this tells me it may be more to do with the user-end or Steam was having a wobble at the time. I know it's easy to blame the user-end (just like it is easy to blame WC), but unless someone can clearly explain how it is WC's fault in situations like this when the majority of people (yes that's an assumption at this stage) don't have any issues downloading and installing the 201Mb patch.

How do you explain it to be WC's fault? There's 4 parts to this:

• Wildcard
  • Steam
  • User
  • User's ISP

But it is only ever WC's fault? ?

3 hours ago, GP said:

What I find difficult to understand is how WC are always putting out broken patches? I never once experience issues like this. So this tells me it may be more to do with the user-end or Steam was having a wobble at the time. I know it's easy to blame the user-end (just like it is easy to blame WC), but unless someone can clearly explain how it is WC's fault in situations like this when the majority of people (yes that's an assumption at this stage) don't have any issues downloading and installing the 201Mb patch.

• Wildcard
  • Steam
  • User
  • User's ISP

I can recall two recent cases, and one you should remember quiet well, as wildcard had to shut off decay on the servers and restore a ton of peoples characters, but yeah, its never wildcards fault right?

3 hours ago, GP said:

• Wildcard
  • Steam
  • User
  • User's ISP

The user doesn't really count as a source of inadvertent patch-installation failure.  The only way the user could interfere with a totally automated installation is if he or she blatantly interrupted the patching process with a hard-powerdown, switched the patch download location before the install, or maybe moved ARK itself.  But then it wouldn't be an inadvertent failure, it would be a purposeful one.  :)

There have been a few times that I have had to stop a patch and validate my gamefiles to get it to install properly because it seemed to hang up on downloading.  There was one time I had to do a full fresh-install of ARK (it was at a major update to ARK, can't recall which one) because it downloaded a few hundred MB and then sat for hours at that.  Validating didn't help, and I eventually reinstalled which fixed whatever issue.  This same 201MB patch, I didn't have to validate, but my computer hung up around 190 MB for about 15 minutes until I realized it wasn't progressing and paused/restarted the update.  My hardware hasn't changed, my ISP hasn't changed, Steam hasn't changed (much, other than UI stuff?), the only thing that was guaranteed to be different than other patches was the patch itself.

• Volunteer Moderator
30 minutes ago, caleb68 said:

I can recall two recent cases, and one you should remember quiet well, as wildcard had to shut off decay on the servers and restore a ton of peoples characters, but yeah, its never wildcards fault right?

How is that an appropriate example? Did I say anything about ingame or server issues? No I did not thank you very much. Did I say WC never make mistakes? No I did not thank you very much.

I was talking about someone having a problem downloading a patch when many others had no issues and it automatically gets labelled as WC pushing out a broken patch. So your comment has zero to do with what was being discussed.

• Volunteer Moderator
31 minutes ago, TheDonn said:

The user doesn't really count as a source of inadvertent patch-installation failure.  The only way the user could interfere with a totally automated installation is if he or she blatantly interrupted the patching process with a hard-powerdown, switched the patch download location before the install, or maybe moved ARK itself.  But then it wouldn't be an inadvertent failure, it would be a purposeful one.  :)

There have been a few times that I have had to stop a patch and validate my gamefiles to get it to install properly because it seemed to hang up on downloading.  There was one time I had to do a full fresh-install of ARK (it was at a major update to ARK, can't recall which one) because it downloaded a few hundred MB and then sat for hours at that.  Validating didn't help, and I eventually reinstalled which fixed whatever issue.  This same 201MB patch, I didn't have to validate, but my computer hung up around 190 MB for about 15 minutes until I realized it wasn't progressing and paused/restarted the update.  My hardware hasn't changed, my ISP hasn't changed, Steam hasn't changed (much, other than UI stuff?), the only thing that was guaranteed to be different than other patches was the patch itself.

By user I am more thinking of their hardware etc, or other things they may be running on their PC at the same time that may bottleneck the download etc. There's multiple things that could cause issues on one persons PC and not others. So i'm not referring to the user as in the person persay.

2 hours ago, GP said:

By user I am more thinking of their hardware etc, or other things they may be running on their PC at the same time that may bottleneck the download etc. There's multiple things that could cause issues on one persons PC and not others. So i'm not referring to the user as in the person persay.

Yeah.  With the multitude of different hardware and software ARK can run on, it could be a weird hardware conflict the same as any game.  I guess I read it as more "you did it wrong," now I see you didn't really mean that.

But in support of it likely being WildCard's patch-building and installation process:  I've installed and updated (and played) a lot of different games, on a lot of different platforms.  Very few have as many weird bugs and problems as ARK has.  Even fewer have so many weird bugs and problems that stay unresolved for many, many weeks or months (and in some cases, years).  The studio of our beloved game is not at all, in any way, known for its polish.

2 hours ago, GP said:

well like I said in the first post, if this were happening with other games on my pc that were being updated as well, then yeah i'd be looking at my pc, or bottlenecks with the steam servers, but, to be frank about it, that's just not happening,  its only happening with ark.  Perhaps its time to wipe ark and reinstall it (Saving the saved data of course), arks been installed on this machine for over two years now, and it may just very well be its just been 'patched' one time too many.

far as the one patch I gave as a example - it not only wiped characters on server side but erased peoples map data and explorer note data,  Even single player games were effected by that patch, so it wasn't just a server side issue, it was client side as well, if it were just server side, then only server data would of been effected and not the players locally saved data files.  Had a issue along time back where my arkprofile data was totally erased by a patch and ever sense then I back that info up, as all my single player characters were erased, map data lost, explorer note data lost, and spent hours reclaiming dino's and structures as they weren't all in the same location on the map.

Just because you yourself haven't experienced a issue, doesn't mean everyone else must be wrong, and vise versa, if it were just me that had the issue I wouldn't of bothered posting about it, or trying to get someone to take a look to see what may actually be happening.  

I'd still like to know how a 201mb patch screws up 2.2gb's of files in ark.   Game had been playing just fine, no issues except the server lag, and yes I mean server lag as everyone on the server was experiencing it, not just me.  Then I sit there on the server waiting for a save before it restarts, exit the game after, wait abit before starting the patch, then tell it to grab the patch and, something like that happens.  

So how does a 201mb patch mess up 2.2gb's of files?

(edit in)
P.s.  im not mad, pissed off, frustrated, agrevated or trying to 'bait' anyone, its just how I talk. trying to have a conversation about this. If I were any of those things you'd be seeing a lot of [redacted] words in my lines, and i'd probably get a timeout ban for sure.

11 hours ago, Joebl0w13 said:

Sounds like an 8th layer issue.

Even on a clean install, on a pc that didn't have it, here's whats happened so far:

Ark installed, then wanted a SteamWorks Common Redistributables, that installed, then ark started downloading a 6.1gb patch, when it reached the 6.1gb the patch started growing in size, stopping at 8.5gb.   after that installed, it downloaded SteamWorks Common Redistributables again.  Now its donloading another 'Patch' again saying its 6.1gb.  

This is on a different pc,  Fresh install of Ark and All dlc (including free).  Waiting to see if this 6.1gb 'patch' is going to grow as well.  Its looking like im stuck in that loop again, and its not even the same machine.

• Volunteer Moderator
20 hours ago, caleb68 said:

oh nice.  So they got upset because i said they should of actually looked instead of just posted saying "patches are on tuesday".  but they couldn't be bothered to look and see, and posted anyhow, then had to come back and do it again.  And I called it a peanut gallery post because they didn't bother to look.  But yeah they got upset and reported it to a moderator, and I get the slap for it. thats nice. Thanks.  You know its because of posts like that that topics go off topic.  but hey okay fine, call me wrong for stating the obvious.

Nothing was reported. I just passed by and randomly read this thread and noticed your aggressive attitude toward another user accusing them of being a troll while they obviously just wanted to help and contribute. This is a public forums, and people are gonna interpret threads differently and might think something is relevant to the discussion and share it, that's all. There is no reason to pick on someone that obviously had good intentions in the end. A simple "Thanks. I know patches are usually scheduled on Tuesday but there was one today." would have been more healthy for the discussion than your peanut and troll response. Anyways, let's move on.

18 minutes ago, caleb68 said:

Even on a clean install, on a pc that didn't have it, here's whats happened so far:

Ark installed, then wanted a SteamWorks Common Redistributables, that installed, then ark started downloading a 6.1gb patch, when it reached the 6.1gb the patch started growing in size, stopping at 8.5gb.   after that installed, it downloaded SteamWorks Common Redistributables again.  Now its donloading another 'Patch' again saying its 6.1gb.  

This is on a different pc,  Fresh install of Ark and All dlc (including free).  Waiting to see if this 6.1gb 'patch' is going to grow as well.  Its looking like im stuck in that loop again, and its not even the same machine.

What you describe in that post is a common issue with Steam while installing large games. Usually happens when you don't have enough free space for Steam to download the packed files and unpack them. ARK with all the maps requires at least 2-300gb disk space on a fresh install. Do you have enough?

1 minute ago, invincibleqc said:

Nothing was reported. I just passed by and randomly read this thread and noticed your aggressive attitude toward another user accusing them of being a troll while they obviously just wanted to help and contribute. This is a public forums, and people are gonna interpret threads differently and might think something is relevant to the discussion and share it, that's all. There is no reason to pick on someone that obviously had good intentions in the end. A simple "Thanks. I know patches are usually scheduled on Tuesday but there was one today." would have been more healthy for the discussion than your peanut and troll response. Anyways, let's move on.

What you describe in that post is a common issue with Steam while installing large games. Usually happens when you don't have enough free space for Steam to download the packed files and unpack them. ARK with all the maps requires at least 2-300gb disk space on a fresh install. Do you have enough?

1 tb drive with over 75% free.  so its not a space issue.

Just now, invincibleqc said:

Tried to go to View -> Settings -> Downloads and select [CLEAR DOWNLOAD CACHE]?

if I do that while its downloading anything Ark I will definitely be stuck in a loop, even if I pause it before doing.  Ark thus far is the only game doing this, even assassin creed black flag (large game) went without a hitch on that pc.  that's the only games installed on it so far, steams a clean install, even bought a new copy of ark for that pc. it finished the 6.1gb download and installed in 'seconds' unlike the first one, and proceed to download one more patch, much smaller then the others, but finally finished on that pc, it doesn't seem to like ark much either lol... joined a server and was pretty choppy, was tweaking the settings as you replied.

Archived