Reserved connection slot.

deedoubleu

Suggestion

Reserved connection slot.

For me it happens when a lot of people hammering the server trying to connect at the same time. If server crashes and players start to log back in, I'm guaranteed to be unable to connect for a while after server is back up.

How it looks - my connection is fine, steam indicates no problems and ark's server browser can find servers. This thread is another indication, if you can read this then my connection is not the issue since I'm writing this in bursts between attempts to get to my home map.

How it works:

I select server in list and click "join". Game gets to snapshot10, think for a while and throw me back to main menu. Next attempt after that usually doesn't even try, just throws "unable to connect" error right away. If I try again it will be snapshot step again and loop goes on.

Now I can't be sure why it's happening, but I played other UE4 based game which had exact same symptoms. Was even more noticeable since it had match system so few people connecting at the same time was not on occasion, but always. Eventually devs got to it and fixed it and the problem was -  when I start to connect to host, game didn't reserve my slot to me and another player was able to connect faster and "occupy" it.

Game sees free slot, allows me to join, but while I'm at it, slot gets taken and I'm back at main menu after timeout which makes me wait even longer.

How it should work:

After player pressed "join", host should check if all requirements met and have his slot reserved to this player so no one else can take it. Slot should remain locked for N time and then released again if player didn't connect successfully or after successful connection.

Why it should be fixed:

We  both know most important issues are those that prevent people from playing: blockers, crashes and other major bugs. Basically those things that affect ark's concurrent users count. Well, this issue is just that - it messes with your online, thus should not collect dust in the back of bugtracker bus. Not to mention it is very annoying.

1 reply to this server topic

Archived