Gamma Correction Preferences

MayonnaisePlease

I was messing with the Gamma slider and was wondering how high or low everyone likes playing with their gamma set. 

From an immersion standpoint I like to keep my gamma abit lower than half. I used to play with it all the way up, but it was way too bright after awhile.

I believe the default is 2.5,  max is 4.0, and I've never tried lower then 1. 

at default its almost impossible for me to see on some of the maps when night / night&fog rolls in as its pitch black, so I usually set gamma to 3,  its still pretty cark but I can make out the land scape.

on the other maps like aberration and extinction I just run with default gamma.  

you can change it any time on the official servers and unofficial (if they have it turned on), all you do is press tab and type in gamma then the gamma number you want, i.e. gamma 3, to reset it to default you just type gamma.   there are also two default bindings you can set to quickly change the gamma in the pc version.

all in all though I run on gamma 3 or default.  Doesn't help at all in any cave though and im virtually blind, adds to the scary spook factor of the caves for sure, expecially if my light source goes out and im left in the pitch black.

On 8/24/2019 at 10:31 PM, MayonnaisePlease said:

I was messing with the Gamma slider and was wondering how high or low everyone likes playing with their gamma set. 

From an immersion standpoint I like to keep my gamma abit lower than half. I used to play with it all the way up, but it was way too bright after awhile.

I constantly change it depending on my mood. Sometimes it's fun to play in the dark, other times I just want to finish what I'm doing and raise the gamma level.

Instead of using the slider, you can change it while you're playing the game by opening the console command (default key mapping for this is TAB) and then type the gamma number you want to see on your screen.

For example just type "gamma 3.5" and you will see your entire screen get lighter. This helps with underwater visibility too, any time you're annoyed with the visibility in the ocean just hit TAB, then at the prompt type "gamma 4"

As I play on xbox I dont have the gamma numbers but I do keep my gamma slider up pretty close to max and I never have issues of not being able to see from too dark except for certain foggy+ rainy+ nights on the island. But my base is in the snow on the island and Ive come to find out snow is much less vision blocking that rain.

The only thing I find funny is when waiting under a loot drop, as it is about to land its like god has descended upon me with a blinding white light and dust flying. In those 5 seconds waiting for it to land I truly would have no idea if a giga walked up on me or anything cause its so.. awesome is the word I guess to best describe it lol.

Archived