Windows 10 vs Steam

rose04

Windows 10 vs Steam

I'm in NZ if that matter at all. I'm pretty clueless about gaming so not sure what to get it off. I've heard the thing about mods not working on Windows 10 but not really sure what that means or how it would really affect play. Any and all advice welcome. I found the game on iOS on my phone but want to be able to play on a bigger screen and with easier functionality.

You can take a look at the mods here:
https://steamcommunity.com/app/346110/workshop/

its all user created content, from simple additions to full scale maps. This content only effects playing on Unofficial servers as none of the official servers both windows 10-xbox/ Steam do not use any mods.

There is no real anti-cheat protection with the windows 10 version vs. the steam version either, so your more likely to find people cheating on Windows 10 then you will on steam, with things like aimbot (if your interested in pvp).

Another difference you'll noticably see between the two is most likely community size on steam, being abit more difficult to get started on maps because of people pillaring just about everything, but also at the same time you may find more people whom you enjoy playing with.

Personally I knew more people playing on the steam version then the windows version, and sense the windows version was xbox exclusive and most my friends on console played on ps4, i chose to go with the steam version, but this might differ for you.

3 hours ago, rose04 said:

Windows 10 vs Steam

I'm in NZ if that matter at all. I'm pretty clueless about gaming so not sure what to get it off. I've heard the thing about mods not working on Windows 10 but not really sure what that means or how it would really affect play. Any and all advice welcome. I found the game on iOS on my phone but want to be able to play on a bigger screen and with easier functionality.

[Edit] I see from Invincibleqc's response, below, that I misinterpreted the question. Deleting my response here.

• Volunteer Moderator
11 minutes ago, Pipinghot said:

I've never heard of any mod issues that were specific to Windows 10 or caused by Windows 10. The PC version of ARK has lots of mods, so it only makes sense that some of them are made by people who aren't very good at making mods yet, or even good mod makers occasionally make a mistake, but you should have no reason to believe that Windows 10 somehow has issues with mods.

They are referring to the Windows 10 version of ARK which is basically the Xbox version that runs on Windows 10 (play anywhere). Mods are not available for that version, since they are only available on the Steam version.

I would personally recommend the Steam version. Not only for having access to the great content the mod community is sharing but also because I've seen a lot of reports that the Windows 10 version receives updates late (most likely due to cert delays, etc.) which can prevent you from connecting to servers that already received the update until you are able to update your client.

Archived