rebalance Nerf the Skies

MYTVY

Suggestion

Nerf the Skies

People still only really use fliers to get around wherever possible. The flier nerf, imo did not help this THAT much, as I believe people use fliers not just because they are faster but also because there are literally no dangers above a certain altitude. When I am on a small-mid land dino, I am in constant fear of microraptors, raptors, purlovias etc which imo are far too common/op (seriously when is the raptor getting fixed. You try to make it dodgeable and make it an aimbotting unavoidable cheat!!). In the seas, we have stunlocking jellyfish which can murder even the most powerful of plesiosaurs (also too powerful IMO). In the skies... there is nothing. Nothing to fear, nothing to avoid, your only concern is stamina. This is part of the reason I often enjoy getting around by land, even when it takes longer it feels like a shorter journey because there is more to see, do and think about. Not just fly over everything from point a to point b.

I believe we need a couple mobs patrolling the skies.

- A cnidaria type mob, passive until close or very slow which can dismount a distracted rider. Obviously not a floating jellyfish, maybe a stinging insect.

- More common but less dangerous mobs which have it out for (territorial towards) argies, wyverns, managarmrs, pteras, tapes, griffins and snow owls which are currently flying. Passive to moths, pelas, less "op" fliers. Maybe they aggro to quetzals but are less effective against them. They should drain stamina decently quickly like a more powerful troodon or titanomyrma. Maybe some type of bird/protobird or even more fun, yi qi :D irl dragon. Would be a super fun shoulder pet and could prey on insects to collect decent meat and chitin.

Both should be able to spawn or travel up to the skybox imo.

I am prepared for hate, I know how much people rely on their birds, often to the point they don't know they can do all the same things just as well if not better with land dinos.

6 replies to this server topic

36 minutes ago, Aylana314159 said:

I doubt maybe people will agree with your request for a further flyers nerf.

Maybe another set of no fly servers.

It's not so much a nerf of fliers I'm hoping for, hell I think it would be great if they could at least still get speed from imprinting like the snow owl and maybe very small increase per point but sill allowing speed levelling. The issue is that the space fliers occupy has no dangers whatsoever. The land and sea is full of stunning, immobilising deadly creatures, while I think that needs to be toned down a bit, there shouldn't be an easy out to get around all danger (aside from pvp) when travelling in a survival game, especially when you can tame a ptera or moth so early on and just avoid 90% of the game. I'd probably hate what I am proposing too but I think the game desperately needs it ?

They just need to buff land dinos. Even when your mount is leveled completely in speed and imprinted, it still doesn't compare to the level 55 ptera I tamed on the beach.  Bringing the movement speed leveling back to its former glory (maybe not so high as it was, maybe 3x current) would make them comparable to flyer. They should be a faster but less easy way to get from point A to point B.

Honestly the procoptodon and deinonychus are currently the only dinos worth even considering, as they have the speed and mobility to cover rough terrain. Other dinos simply don't have the tools to navigate the map. The gallimimus is frail and will be outsped by dinos like deinonychus and iguandodon when both at max speed despite being the "gotta go fast" dino. The terror bird has mediocre speed and a useful glide but no way to gain height and still slower than a flyer. The roll rat is the fastest creature in the game (mana isnt even close) but is... janky and unusable outside memeing.

33 minutes ago, Thyme said:

They just need to buff land dinos. Even when your mount is leveled completely in speed and imprinted, it still doesn't compare to the level 55 ptera I tamed on the beach.  Bringing the movement speed leveling back to its former glory (maybe not so high as it was, maybe 3x current) would make them comparable to flyer. They should be a faster but less easy way to get from point A to point B.

Honestly the procoptodon and deinonychus are currently the only dinos worth even considering, as they have the speed and mobility to cover rough terrain. Other dinos simply don't have the tools to navigate the map. The gallimimus is frail and will be outsped by dinos like deinonychus and iguandodon when both at max speed despite being the "gotta go fast" dino. The terror bird has mediocre speed and a useful glide but no way to gain height and still slower than a flyer. The roll rat is the fastest creature in the game (mana isnt even close) but is... janky and unusable outside memeing.

I agree that land dinos need some buffing, all older dinos do at this point really. Tlcs are definitely in order. And you're right, my 2 main land dinos are the procop and the deino, thyla sometimes too. But the issue I'm addressing isn't that, it's that people will always take to the skies because it has no threats to avoid and considering threats are endless on the ground and underwater, this makes no sense to me game design wise.

Archived