What's wrong with egg farming?

Zapha

What's wrong with egg farming?

Ok, so as newbie I'm now at the point to produce kibble for faster taming.
This is what I expected first: I put a male and a female together and get an egg every 20 mins.
This is what I get: One(!) guaranted (fertilized) egg every 2 days.

That 20 mins thing is only a 1% chance? "Boosted" to 2% when mated? Really?
Even with Oviraptor that means one regular egg every ~15 hours. No wonder the servers are so laggy if people need dozens of breeders to get more than one or two eggs per day.

Maybe I see something wrong but I would like to know: If I need 30 kibbles for taming a higher level dino, how much females do I need to get the 30 eggs in 2 days?

12 minutes ago, Joebl0w13 said:

You are mating them. Turn mating off and the females will lay regular non-fertilized eggs.

This. A female dino (non dodo or kairuku) should have a chance to drop an unfertilized egg every 11 minutes with a mate boost and oviraptor buff.

The breeding mechanic skews this for some reason. 

“Kibble farms” are irrelevant with the addition of Valguero. I can hunt 100’s of dein eggs faster than standing at a kibble farm and collecting, and I only need to have one kibble to cover them all. We sit on 300 kibble and another 300 eggs waiting to convert when we have time. 

Only exception to this would be yutys on other maps if you don’t have Valguero. We have 20 yuty females on our island and have collected 600 eggs which replaces all other kibble dino needs. 

So either way, the only kibble dino you need is dein eggs from Valguero or Yutys on any other map (aberration being the one exception). 

You may have a bunch of dodos clogging your area cap. Another thing to remember is that dinos don't lay eggs in stasis.

If you want quick solution - add 1-2 fems and be nearby or check area on a regular basis. Soon you will be eating those eggs due to lack of storage space.

2 hours ago, flamron said:

“Kibble farms” are irrelevant with the addition of Valguero. I can hunt 100’s of dein eggs faster than standing at a kibble farm and collecting, and I only need to have one kibble to cover them all. We sit on 300 kibble and another 300 eggs waiting to convert when we have time. 

Only exception to this would be yutys on other maps if you don’t have Valguero. We have 20 yuty females on our island and have collected 600 eggs which replaces all other kibble dino needs. 

So either way, the only kibble dino you need is dein eggs from Valguero or Yutys on any other map (aberration being the one exception). 

True, unless you want to use augmented kibbles. I do everything with augmented superior. Everyone has argents and/or owls, all ingredients are easy - gachas with red sap are not that rare.

4 hours ago, flamron said:

I'm playing on valguero and in addition to picking up dieno eggs,  I am still doing a kibble farm.  regardless if i can hunt hundreds of dieno eggs faster then standing around waiting for eggs, I still want different types of kibble for different types of dino tames,  honestly its a waste to throw away dieno kibble on a simple kibble/basic kibble tame.   Just going for one singular dino type seems abit anti productive for kibble to be frank, one sets up a proper kibble farm they can actually collect more eggs from the animals then running around and collecting dieno eggs, even if your base is right next to a bunch of nests like mine.  likewise, if you don't have everything you need to make them right off the bat, your going to need a ton of fridges to store all those dieno eggs, being fertile eggs do not stack.  one person has gone to these lengths, and i think they spend more time collecting eggs then they do anything else, as they only have 2 yuty, a few rex, a bronto and a couple other misc. dinos. 

1 hour ago, Zapha said:

Yo, I got such an Dein egg (of course I died in the unknown region) but couldn't cook regular kibble with it. I guess I have to set up honey production first. Anyway better than taming or breeding 15 Ankys only for some regular kibble. Any tips for the honey?

You still make the extraordinary kibble. But you can use it in place of all other lower tier kibbles. This works for others as well. As long as the kibble is one tier higher than what you need it’ll work. Even for imprinting. 

6 hours ago, Zapha said:

Yo, I got such an Dein egg (of course I died in the unknown region) but couldn't cook regular kibble with it. I guess I have to set up honey production first. Anyway better than taming or breeding 15 Ankys only for some regular kibble. Any tips for the honey?

you still make extraordinary kibble with the dieno egg, any dino with a lower tier kibble can be tamed with a higher tier kibble, i.e. dino's that take simple kibble can be tamed with regular kibble.

On the deino egg farming "being better then kibble farm" here's my conclusion from today:

i set out for 2 hours stealing deino eggs from the nests in mulitple locations,  in that time I managed to get enough eggs to fill 1 1/2 fridges, thats 62 eggs. I wasn't the only one looking for deino eggs, a couple were looking for high lvl eggs to hatch, and a few were looking to get eggs so that they could tame rock elementals.

Now, my egg farm consists of 12 Raptors, 8 Rex, 25 ptera, 2 bronto and 8 argy.  in 2 hours time i got:
21 ptera eggs
12 rex eggs
15 raptor eggs
32 argy eggs
6 bronto (because i kept forgetting to check them)

i also have a few dilo and compy that laid me a few eggs and my oviraptor even joined in a laid a few for me.  now while all these eggs are for specific types of kibble, it just goes to show that with the right setup for a egg farm, you can get far more eggs then running round getting wild ones.

On top of that, one of the individuals has 26 female deino they have raised, setting them all to breeding (because they seem to like to lay raptor eggs elsewise) thats 26 eggs every breeding cycle with no effort.

to top it off, you risk life and limb each time you run out after wild deino eggs,  I got mobbed by 6 dieno at once, and even with flak armor on, i was dead in seconds, i couldn't get away from them due to the bleeding effect, likewise, my weight argy ended up getting shreaded before I could get respawned and get it back.  so each time you head out, you could end up losing your life, and the eggs you collected, or just finding empty nests as another player may of already beat you to them, where as with a egg farm - Zero Risk.  You stand around and collect eggs, what could be more simple?

Just setup a proper egg farm and you'll be making more kibble then you know what to do with.

my medium and small dinos are layed out in  F-F-M-F-F-M-F-F order, while my rex are one row of females up front, and a second row of males behind them, 1 to 1. on the medium dino's I have a Oviraptor placed in the center of the room (14 wide)weighed down with stone and set to wander,  which seems to cover all the dino's in it.

8 hours ago, caleb68 said:

you still make extraordinary kibble with the dieno egg, any dino with a lower tier kibble can be tamed with a higher tier kibble, i.e. dino's that take simple kibble can be tamed with regular kibble.

On the deino egg farming "being better then kibble farm" here's my conclusion from today:

i set out for 2 hours stealing deino eggs from the nests in mulitple locations,  in that time I managed to get enough eggs to fill 1 1/2 fridges, thats 62 eggs. I wasn't the only one looking for deino eggs, a couple were looking for high lvl eggs to hatch, and a few were looking to get eggs so that they could tame rock elementals.

Now, my egg farm consists of 12 Raptors, 8 Rex, 25 ptera, 2 bronto and 8 argy.  in 2 hours time i got:
21 ptera eggs
12 rex eggs
15 raptor eggs
32 argy eggs
6 bronto (because i kept forgetting to check them)

i also have a few dilo and compy that laid me a few eggs and my oviraptor even joined in a laid a few for me.  now while all these eggs are for specific types of kibble, it just goes to show that with the right setup for a egg farm, you can get far more eggs then running round getting wild ones.

On top of that, one of the individuals has 26 female deino they have raised, setting them all to breeding (because they seem to like to lay raptor eggs elsewise) thats 26 eggs every breeding cycle with no effort.

to top it off, you risk life and limb each time you run out after wild deino eggs,  I got mobbed by 6 dieno at once, and even with flak armor on, i was dead in seconds, i couldn't get away from them due to the bleeding effect, likewise, my weight argy ended up getting shreaded before I could get respawned and get it back.  so each time you head out, you could end up losing your life, and the eggs you collected, or just finding empty nests as another player may of already beat you to them, where as with a egg farm - Zero Risk.  You stand around and collect eggs, what could be more simple?

Just setup a proper egg farm and you'll be making more kibble then you know what to do with.

my medium and small dinos are layed out in  F-F-M-F-F-M-F-F order, while my rex are one row of females up front, and a second row of males behind them, 1 to 1. on the medium dino's I have a Oviraptor placed in the center of the room (14 wide)weighed down with stone and set to wander,  which seems to cover all the dino's in it.

A vanilla argy will shred all deins and has the regen effect so it’s Hp never goes down much and is always healing. I find a 60-70 armor saddle on the argy helps a lot. I go in and kill them all. 

Wyvern makes it even easier. I dismount, but stay on the wyvern. Use a whip to grab the egg, mount the wyvern and then chew up the dein. 

The nice thing about using one kibble is you’re only making one kibble. You don’t have to make 5 other kibbles with varying ingredients. We have six bees, which is easy to get more bees if needed. Sap is simple with the redwoods. The Lazarus chowder is annoying because it’s a recipe in a recipe, but we made like 500 last time. Do it in bulk and it’s not too bad. 

10 hours ago, flamron said:

A vanilla argy will shred all deins and has the regen effect so it’s Hp never goes down much and is always healing. I find a 60-70 armor saddle on the argy helps a lot. I go in and kill them all. 

Wyvern makes it even easier. I dismount, but stay on the wyvern. Use a whip to grab the egg, mount the wyvern and then chew up the dein. 

The nice thing about using one kibble is you’re only making one kibble. You don’t have to make 5 other kibbles with varying ingredients. We have six bees, which is easy to get more bees if needed. Sap is simple with the redwoods. The Lazarus chowder is annoying because it’s a recipe in a recipe, but we made like 500 last time. Do it in bulk and it’s not too bad. 

Unless that argy is by itself and being mobbed by 6 dieno at once.  I agree wyvern make it eaiser,  i use mine to clear the deino, then grab the eggs, getting 3 to 4 eggs per nesting area (sometimes less if someones been there recently).

Thats another thing, the honey, even on the server i'm playing on there are many people who have been there sense day 1 of valguero and still don't have a bear or a hive.  I've got a hive, but haven't placed it yet, been deciding where i want to put it, hasn't helped that i've had people pillar off the side of my base i wanted to expand on  or the other side where someone decided to build a little 1x1 shack just close enough to keep me from expanding.  so i've had to rethink how I am going to be doing things for the base.

I prefer the minimal effort method of the kibble farm rather then running around on the map attempting to get eggs before others.  normally the server i have been playing on has anywhere from 20-40 people playing on it, depending on the tame of the day / day of the week.

On 8/22/2019 at 3:27 PM, caleb68 said:

Unless that argy is by itself and being mobbed by 6 dieno at once.  I agree wyvern make it eaiser,  i use mine to clear the deino, then grab the eggs, getting 3 to 4 eggs per nesting area (sometimes less if someones been there recently).

Thats another thing, the honey, even on the server i'm playing on there are many people who have been there sense day 1 of valguero and still don't have a bear or a hive.  I've got a hive, but haven't placed it yet, been deciding where i want to put it, hasn't helped that i've had people pillar off the side of my base i wanted to expand on  or the other side where someone decided to build a little 1x1 shack just close enough to keep me from expanding.  so i've had to rethink how I am going to be doing things for the base.

I prefer the minimal effort method of the kibble farm rather then running around on the map attempting to get eggs before others.  normally the server i have been playing on has anywhere from 20-40 people playing on it, depending on the tame of the day / day of the week.

Even being mobbed by 6 with a prim saddle AND tamed below optimal (120) they easily shred deino. Theyre raptors who dont pounce. Easy

On 8/22/2019 at 5:23 AM, caleb68 said:

Now, my egg farm consists of 12 Raptors, 8 Rex, 25 ptera, 2 bronto and 8 argy.

That are 51 dinos only for egg farming. When I drive around with my raft base I avoid to get near such giant "Castle Lag". There is even one which needs a minute, before all parts are loaded. Isn't that a problem if the game mechanic requires amounts of dinos which can't be handled proper from the game engine?

4 hours ago, Zapha said:

That are 51 dinos only for egg farming. When I drive around with my raft base I avoid to get near such giant "Castle Lag". There is even one which needs a minute, before all parts are loaded. Isn't that a problem if the game mechanic requires amounts of dinos which can't be handled proper from the game engine?

A bit of that is really the resources of the PC you are using.  Better hardware will equal faster loading times.

16 hours ago, caleb68 said:

I'm sorry D1nk, not everyone has a lvl 130 character with all the points sunk into health and melee.

I dont. I even play Valguero with no fliers and no problems (argy example was in SP) - on live servers i used mainly a Roo or Thylo

All im saying is they arent as hard as you make em out to be.

Archived