HardCore quick question

MooseX

• Volunteer Moderator
5 minutes ago, MooseX said:

Good point, however traveling from bed to bed, re-spawning naked in Hardcore mode? Ouff that's a gamble I'm not willing to take lol.

Well, if your beds are in the scar then yes that seems risky... but if they are in safe outposts there should not be any risks.

5 minutes ago, MooseX said:

Merci  :)

De rien. ?

On 8/20/2019 at 9:34 PM, MooseX said:

I have to admit, it's a rush playing HC, just feeling that when you die, you really die. I was able to get to level  83, and it's starting to get fun when you have a long-neck with ammo :)

Once you start playing hardcore (3k+ hours on official PvP hardcore here), coming back to the regular game feels easymode.

You can have 10 backup characters uploaded to the cloud. To create a backup character you need a tribemate. Go to the obelisk and select travel to another server. It must be a server where you don't have a character or it won't work. When you see the spawn screen press start and go to main menu. On XBOX you have to hit the guide button twice to make the menu pop up.

Now you have your character uploaded to the cloud. If you go to your original server now you get the option to download your character or make a new one. Make a new one and have your tribemate invite you to the tribe.

Now if you die you can just spawn with your other character at a bed like normal mode.

If you don't have a tribemate you can use a second device and an alt account.

This way you can work around the hardcore mode loosing everything when you die.

We did this on official hardcore pvp on xbox and reached endgame, tamed titans etc. We were actually close to do the hard tek cave until we got burned out. We quit because of the time consuming breeding mechanic, short decay timers in pvp and a decreasing playerbase.

A few months later and I'm back on PC starting from scratch. I don't have a second PC and finding tribemates is hard because the hardcore playerbase on PC is small, too.

Pro tip: To level up a fresh character to level 100 in one session you just need a lightning wyvern with decent melee and stam. Find a titan, make it very bloody, collect a tek explorer note (there are 3 on every official map, 4x XP), grab a normal explorer note and finish the titan with a decent compound bow. If you do this with all 3 tek notes on a x2 weekend you get to level 100 in 1-2 hours.

Tl;dr Play hardcore, tell wildcard to look at decay timers on pvp 

4 hours ago, SuperMesher said:

You can have 10 backup characters uploaded to the cloud. To create a backup character you need a tribemate. Go to the obelisk and select travel to another server. It must be a server where you don't have a character or it won't work. When you see the spawn screen press start and go to main menu. On XBOX you have to hit the guide button twice to make the menu pop up.

Now you have your character uploaded to the cloud. If you go to your original server now you get the option to download your character or make a new one. Make a new one and have your tribemate invite you to the tribe.

Now if you die you can just spawn with your other character at a bed like normal mode.

I honestly think they should patch this, at least for that specific mode as it defeats the purpose of playing hardcore. However, I can understand the logic behind it as an experienced player will die 100% of the time from game bugs/crashed rather than to other players/wildlife.

4 hours ago, SuperMesher said:

A few months later and I'm back on PC starting from scratch. I don't have a second PC and finding tribemates is hard because the hardcore playerbase on PC is small, too.

The playerbase is very small for plenty of reasons.

Among other things, rampant bugs getting your character killed.

The official release of the game also killed most the hardcore servers and merged them into 2 PvP servers (at launch day), which were basically controlled by an aggressive russian tribe (some of their players are well known dupers but WC don't give a c....)  within hours of the launch. They still "rules" the hardcore network to this day.

Fun fact, on launch day, one of the hardcore server was named Ragnarok but actually was the Island map. Players could play there, tame and transfer to the actual Island server until WC finally fixed it (hours later) and turned it back into Rag without notice. Sadly, all players who didn't transfered out lost all progress made. That discouraged a lot of players from spending time there.

So yeah, WC killed hardcore and I hardly believe they'll bring it back to its former glory.

Hardcore ark isn't too fun in my opinion. Pvp could be more thrilling with more than your current items on the line, but death just means power leveling a character back up and keeping your base, tribe, items, and dinos still. It kinda punishes you for taking any risk, you have to over prepare for everything or risk having to grind 1000000 stone again to level up. Wanna take your archeopteryx to steal wyvern eggs, bad idea. Feel like getting naked on the beach to fight beach bobs with your bare hands as your ancestors once did? Nope.

Hardcore servers with high rates can be a blast, mainly when starting out. Its an actual survival game, being on a beach fighting off dinosaurs and hostile players with nothing but basic tools is thrilling. It works well with something like prim+ or engrams limiting you to wooden buildings and basic guns. The early stages of pvp are the most fun imo, bullet soaking an offline tribe is about as fun as chewing on shoe leather.

I used to play official hardcore for a long time.

The pros of hardcore is:

- It feels like an achievement to get to a high level and do bosses, tame dinos, etc.

- No more suicide when you are dying of thirst or hunger (ruins the experience)

- If it is PVP, often you would be able to destroy your enemies completely. Instead of them respawning literally 10 seconds later.

However, it got a bit tedious during the big Russians vs SoV a few years back.
Constant cross-server raiding, and everyone had multiple characters in the cloud.

But well, despite this, I've had my most intense and fun PvP experiences on official hardcore.
There were some really fun battles where literally everything was at stake...
In the SoV tribe we would constantly travel from one server to another to protect smaller tribes from the Russian onslaught xD

I think most of the Westerners got burned out in the end though, and the Russians took over though... they were simply more numerous.

Not sure who rules the official hardcore servers these days, but damn, if you have the time and energy... it is very fun.

Archived