What's your opinion of the Angler Fish?

MasterSeafox

What's your opinion of the Angler Fish?

Whenever I try to tame an Angler Fish. In have a few things I pray for such as,

1. Hoping my hits register.

2. Praying that I don't kill it before it knocks out.

3. Hoping the aggro range on the megalodons and other marine creatures are not in my proximity.

These are few things I pray for when I go to tame one. Cause those sharks seem to have a large aggro range compared to most creatures within the Ark. When it comes to actually owning an Angler Fish I wouldn't know counting I can't seem to get my prayers answered, but hopefully J will tame one soon. Maybe you might know of a better way or just have better prayers.

Right now, taming one in the Valguero Ab section seems super easy. Chance it will beach itself but you can stand on the shore or ride a dino you can shoot off of and just use a longneck on them.

If hunting traditionally (like on Rag), I like to use a Bary since you can fire off of it plus clear out other sharks. Get the best crossbow you can just give it a full 8 count between every shot. That 8 seconds gives it time to regen a little hp while still applying torpor. 

Try to steer them into a wall so it rises above where you'll have to deal with eels and squids while taming. 

If you need pearls in bulk, they are definitely worth it.

I used a spear gun with tranq bolts for mine cause I killed too many high level ones trying to KO with a Xbow. I spent 45 mins counting to 10 between shots and still killed a like 140 before KOing (prim xbow on that try cause I had killed a 145 with a high lvl one before that). The bary definitely helps with that because you can get up close.

Anglers are fun for exploration and useful for the pearl collection, but they just aren't fun battle mounts, especially with the plethora of other sea tames which do everything but pearl collection better.  I have one chilling in my pond near my base that gives some neat ambient lighting, and I occasionally take it out for pearl collecting.  All water taming is a pain in the ass because of the massive aggro ranges and sure thing death that is jellyfish, so I cant really hold that against the anglerfish.  Remember how bad things used to be when eels had the same shock effect.

It was said above already, but Valguero is definitely the best way of getting one, but some island alternatives would be to build a taming pen on the ocean floor, they aggro easily enough and you can try to check their health with a magnifying glass as you tranq them at your relative leisure (So long as your scuba gear doesn't break or the angler doesn't kill you).

On 8/20/2019 at 2:10 PM, Aikar said:

Underground mushroom cave system*

The area under Valguero is not affiliated with Aberration.

But I do recommend going to Aberration for some Anglers, as they are pretty easy to reach there, in shallow water.

I don't recall me saying they were "affiliated", but they are clearly the same types of environments, and obviously the underground in Valguero was designed to look like Aberration.

29 minutes ago, Melcreif said:

I don't recall me saying they were "affiliated", but they are clearly the same types of environments, and obviously the underground in Valguero was designed to look like Aberration.

Down to using similar spawn entries like twitchfertileland. Only adding a Val nomenclature. It's Valguero Ab zone. You are right. Ignore people who want to sound like they know something special.

If I could find the loot crate spawn information I think it would reference Aberration like some of them reference SE. I just haven't found it yet.

1 minute ago, Piffguru said:

Tamed 2 angler fish, on separate occasions. Both times the angler ended up dying on the first trip to eels. I hate eels... Most recent one was last night. What a waste of 2 hours.

They are not nearly as bad as they used to be. Before they'd zap you and knock you off your mount and then leave you're mount completely defenseless. They also used to travel in packs of around 5 or 6 and they would beeline to you from super far away. Awful

4 minutes ago, Melcreif said:

They are not nearly as bad as they used to be. Before they'd zap you and knock you off your mount and then leave you're mount completely defenseless. They also used to travel in packs of around 5 or 6 and they would beeline to you from super far away. Awful

Yea Ive heard. But Im just sad that eels can kill a 140 pt angler in like 30 seconds. while me on my 145pt meg and the angler are fighting back. This happened last night after luring a 145 alpha meg away from a deep sea crate on valguero. I come back to the crate, scout a little bit around to make sure I dont get run up on. Jump off the angler to get the drop and immediately im hit in the back by a school of 5-6 eels. Broke almost all my armor immediately and I barely got on the shark to save myself. Swear Im never going down there again without my basilo.

3 hours ago, Piffguru said:

Yea Ive heard. But Im just sad that eels can kill a 140 pt angler in like 30 seconds. while me on my 145pt meg and the angler are fighting back. This happened last night after luring a 145 alpha meg away from a deep sea crate on valguero. I come back to the crate, scout a little bit around to make sure I dont get run up on. Jump off the angler to get the drop and immediately im hit in the back by a school of 5-6 eels. Broke almost all my armor immediately and I barely got on the shark to save myself. Swear Im never going down there again without my basilo.

and yet it's also one of the great things about this game IMO, the fact that you're down there minding your own business and BAM dead.  Just keeps you on edge all the time LOL.  I feel your pain though it does suck losing them like that because the Angler is pretty squishy.  Depending on the map there are good areas to use the Angler without being in an area where there are Eels.

24 minutes ago, Melcreif said:

and yet it's also one of the great things about this game IMO, the fact that you're down there minding your own business and BAM dead.  Just keeps you on edge all the time LOL.  I feel your pain though it does suck losing them like that because the Angler is pretty squishy.  Depending on the map there are good areas to use the Angler without being in an area where there are Eels.

The underwater is a nightmare.  Plesios even have base damage of 75, and travel usually in pairs or trios...  Squids can grab, Mosas are terrifying and both of them are really fast.  Eels suck, and you can always miss a Cnidaria pack and get dismounted unless you are on a Basilosaurus.

I can't be deep underwater without feeling like I need my head on a swivel.  It is very anxiety-provoking.

Archived