level system Leveling System Overhaul

Soldiercide

Suggestion

Leveling System Overhaul

Epoch Leveling System

There are several RTS and TBS games that use one form of Epoch system or another, and I personally think it would make the Ark experience feel much more thorough.  First, we need to axe Prim+ as a total conversion and integrate those assets into the main game, eliminating any overlap.  After that, Epochs are established, which will restrict player access to certain resources, tools, and structures.  Each Epoch will have its own independent leveling system, where level ups will come with unlocks within that Epoch.

example:

Cromag Epoch

10-20 levels

can harvest stone, wood, thatch, berries, fiber, and other base resources

incremental access to stone tools and thatch structures

isn't smart enough to tame creatures (just emerged from the cave and all that)

Once the player progresses through level 10/20, they are given the option to progress to the next Epoch, and they are given a new set of levels they must progress through.  The next Epoch gives them level dependent access to better tools and resources.  Eventually, by way of progression through the Epoch system, they become smart enough to tame creatures, which would also be Epoch restricted, and refine resources.  Certain base resources, as the player progresses, could be refined into more efficient resources: charcoal could be refined into coal, which would last longer in forges; crude oil could be the natural state of oil, which then has to be refined to be used; iron could be the natural state of metal, which has to be refined into steel to make better tools.

An Epoch system like this would draw out the game experience, giving far more relevance to the early stages of the game.  At this point, you progress so quickly that much of the early game is all but pointless.  Epochs would make acquiring that slingshot relevant, as well as 'Jesus, I can't wait until I get the frigging boomerang!'.   The Epoch system would also allow for servers based around certain Epochs, rather than base and prim+ servers.  You could set a server to stop at the bronze age and so on.  This would also make it so those seeking to engage in RP through this game don't have to step outside of the main game.  I mean, every server needs a pizza place and juice bar, amiright?

Alternative

Merge Prim+ and Prime
Provide configuration options for

1. Level a dino can be tamed at
  2. Level resource can be harvested/used at
  • Facepalm 1

13 replies to this server topic

Rather meh it's then just like F76 Level  system not fun to grind for something which is just a lvl. Need lvl 50 for that minigun you picked ip? Play another 30 h until you can use it rarher meh. But maybe your epoch idea is great just  in Age of Empires but with an option to lock it at a certain lvl for some more  primitiv and tek stuff servers. However saying you can't tame x y dino is just anti ark. Most people bought it to ride dinos the game which  we wished when we we're young! In then end the you can tame x y dino is already in it via the saddles. It get's really repetive then craft x y station tier 1 then t2 t3 t4 t5 is no fun. We would need some kind of objective then like the bosses but not like beat me and get tek instantly. Every new approach to a epoch should be amazing and freshand not just grind. For example  early game to mid game Mount and Blade Warband is fun as hell but then to take each castle again and again is hella boring.

Resumé is nice idea but not wel thought we already have this with Inventory crafting  -> smithy -> fabricator -> tek

But still I like the sound of it but not what I have read here just the same copy  anf pastw system by WC.

Like any other survival game aka open world.

• Thanks 1

I don't like this idea, but I am not a fan of skill trees and these type of things. Since the game is based around you investing a ton into one character, I just wish you couldn't lose it so easily in transfers and rollbacks. I wish everyone only could have one character, and whatever servers you log into you character is already there. I also wish Dinos did not take so much xp to max level one, especially now that you can put 88 levels into a dino.

On 9/13/2019 at 12:40 PM, Jenny2 said:

Rather meh it's then just like F76 Level  system not fun to grind for something which is just a lvl. Need lvl 50 for that minigun you picked ip? Play another 30 h until you can use it rarher meh. But maybe your epoch idea is great just  in Age of Empires but with an option to lock it at a certain lvl for some more  primitiv and tek stuff servers. However saying you can't tame x y dino is just anti ark. Most people bought it to ride dinos the game which  we wished when we we're young! In then end the you can tame x y dino is already in it via the saddles. It get's really repetive then craft x y station tier 1 then t2 t3 t4 t5 is no fun. We would need some kind of objective then like the bosses but not like beat me and get tek instantly. Every new approach to a epoch should be amazing and freshand not just grind. For example  early game to mid game Mount and Blade Warband is fun as hell but then to take each castle again and again is hella boring.

Resumé is nice idea but not wel thought we already have this with Inventory crafting  -> smithy -> fabricator -> tek

But still I like the sound of it but not what I have read here just the same copy  anf pastw system by WC.

Like any other survival game aka open world.

I've actually got a server like this built out, aside from the obvious things we don't have configuration options for.  I controlled for the inability to dictate tame levels by moving the saddles around.  It seems to be working well and people who enjoy a slower progression seem to be enjoying it.  

Mostly, I just want the configuration options.  I know WC isn't going to implement this as a mode or rework the entire game.  I'd wager, though, that providing those configuration options for custom servers wouldn't be out of the question.

• Thanks 1

I'm not a huge fan of this idea. I don't like being restricted in taking or gathering materials based on level. I think the leveling in Ark fine. Not great but fine. My biggest beef is just the patches of levels that have almost no engrams or no useful/entertaining ones. There just needs to be more stuff in some of those areas to look forward to. Like different bullet types, more weapons both melee and ranged, some different types of transportation items. Like boat types. Either larger boats or smaller faster ones. Just some variety. Skis for snow biomes would be cool. There just needs to be more engrams that are useful or fun.

leveling in Ark is bad. At certain avatar level there is no point to do bosses and ascension as you never reach XP for 15+ levels by normal playing and gaining xp.

Well try solo to get XP after 155 level - and game max level  is 205 now so without  being in tribe, killing thousands of carcha babies, broth of enlightenment, toilet buff etc you cant do it . And having resources depending on level mean you are out

On 8/20/2019 at 1:31 AM, Soldiercide said:

Leveling System Overhaul

Epoch Leveling System

There are several RTS and TBS games that use one form of Epoch system or another, and I personally think it would make the Ark experience feel much more thorough geometry dash lite.  First, we need to axe Prim+ as a total conversion and integrate those assets into the main game, eliminating any overlap.  After that, Epochs are established, which will restrict player access to certain resources, tools, and structures.  Each Epoch will have its own independent leveling system, where level ups will come with unlocks within that Epoch. 

example:

Cromag Epoch

10-20 levels

can harvest stone, wood, thatch, berries, fiber, and other base resources

incremental access to stone tools and thatch structures

isn't smart enough to tame creatures (just emerged from the cave and all that)

Once the player progresses through level 10/20, they are given the option to progress to the next Epoch, and they are given a new set of levels they must progress through.  The next Epoch gives them level dependent access to better tools and resources.  Eventually, by way of progression through the Epoch system, they become smart enough to tame creatures, which would also be Epoch restricted, and refine resources.  Certain base resources, as the player progresses, could be refined into more efficient resources: charcoal could be refined into coal, which would last longer in forges; crude oil could be the natural state of oil, which then has to be refined to be used; iron could be the natural state of metal, which has to be refined into steel to make better tools.

An Epoch system like this would draw out the game experience, giving far more relevance to the early stages of the game.  At this point, you progress so quickly that much of the early game is all but pointless.  Epochs would make acquiring that slingshot relevant, as well as 'Jesus, I can't wait until I get the frigging boomerang!'.   The Epoch system would also allow for servers based around certain Epochs, rather than base and prim+ servers.  You could set a server to stop at the bronze age and so on.  This would also make it so those seeking to engage in RP through this game don't have to step outside of the main game.  I mean, every server needs a pizza place and juice bar, amiright?

Alternative

Merge Prim+ and Prime
Provide configuration options for

1. Level a dino can be tamed at
  2. Level resource can be harvested/used at

I don't really agree with your idea

Edited by margaretcoughlin