Island Alpha Dragon, Singleplayer tips

Rintrahhh

13 minutes ago, RipRavage said:

The problem with the dragon is that it does percentage based damage with its fire attacks, you need to use therizinosaurs since herbivores take less fire damage and can insta heal with veggie cakes.

Ahhh, you mean like 20 therizinosaurs? Excellent idea with the veggie cakes. I had no idea. I'll definitely start a breeding frenzy of these.

31 minutes ago, RipRavage said:

The problem with the dragon is that it does percentage based damage with its fire attacks, you need to use therizinosaurs since herbivores take less fire damage and can insta heal with veggie cakes.

Herbivores taking less fire damage is a myth players should stop spreading.

The dragon removes 20% of your hp flat per breath over 10 seconds. 20 seconds cooldown. The only advantage zinos have over rexes is having the ability to heal via cakes, period.

Rule of thumb for zinos is to aim for 21k hp, the threshold at which cakes become less effective and focus the rest on dmg. The dragon is a dps check, plain and simple.

4 minutes ago, Darkholis said:

The dragon removes 20% of your hp flat per breath over 10 seconds. 20 seconds cooldown. The only advantage zinos have over rexes is having the ability to heal via cakes, period.

Rule of thumb for zinos is to aim for 21k hp, the threshold at which cakes become less effective and focus the rest on dmg. The dragon is a dps check, plain and simple.

https://ark.gamepedia.com/252.7

4 minutes ago, Rintrahhh said:

Regardless, as long as they can heal quickly with the veggie cakes is probably the answer I was needing.

You can also try riding a megaloceros and try to kite the dragon away from fireballing your tames, its a semi popular method.  People usually do this with a tribe, but it might help so long as you dont get killed by dimorphodons.

20 minutes ago, Darkholis said:

In SP, you can solo the dragon with a megaloceros. No other tames needed as you can simply park under its belly and shotgun it to death.

That's interesting. I'll definitely try that method as well. It would sure save a lot of time breeding and gathering resources for therizinosaurs saddles.

• Volunteer Moderator
39 minutes ago, Darkholis said:

This is not a myth. The DinoSettings_Herbivore class (inherited by all herbivore's subclasses) have an adjuster of 0.4 for incoming damage of type ShooterDamageTypeBP_Fire. However, the Dragon's fire breath is dealing DmgType_Explosion_NoMetal damage on blast and set the targets into DragonAttackStateFire state for 10 seconds which is hard-coded to drain 20% of max health over that period of time ignoring all adjusters available. So yeah, this is not a myth; just the Dragon bypassing that protection.

21 minutes ago, invincibleqc said:

This is not a myth. The DinoSettings_Herbivore class (inherited by all herbivore's subclasses) have an adjuster of 0.4 for incoming damage of type ShooterDamageTypeBP_Fire. However, the Dragon's fire breath is dealing DmgType_Explosion_NoMetal damage on blast and set the targets into DragonAttackStateFire state for 10 seconds which is hard-coded to drain 20% of max health over that period of time ignoring all adjusters available. So yeah, this is not a myth; just the Dragon bypassing that protection.

Might not be a myth (as you mentionned and as I discovered for myself in the dev kit, see screenshot above), but still glad it's no longer a valid argument anymore on the topic about rexes vs zinos in boss fights.

The main advantage of zinos vs rexes remains cakes.

37 minutes ago, Rintrahhh said:

Yeah, it was a dimorphodon that actually killed me, however by that point the fight was lost anyway. I was down to 2 Rex's and the dragon was only at half health.

Thats why I think it still helps to bring rexes or therizinosaurs with you for the megaloceros method too, they help to clear the dimorphodons out a bit and grab some of the aggro.  They will probably die though eventually.

On 8/18/2019 at 11:30 PM, Darkholis said:

lol, you link a patch that is 3 years old. It's been removed since then and I even confirmed it in the dev kit directly.

I stand corrected, here's a screenshot from the dev kit :
image.thumb.png.1813271ff72b8f5032041a7aae06d2ad.png

No. You are partly right. The fire breath dot that dragon does ignore armor and resistances.Any other fire damage source is lowered by fire resistance.

Archived