How should I go about getting resources from the mountains

KACHOW

1 hour ago, Joebl0w13 said:

Get an Argentavis.

The ptera won't be able to carry anything worth having down from the mountain.

Build a trap, use the pteradon to kite the argy into the trap. Tame Argy. then tame more argies.  Even if you are not high enough level to craft saddle for argy, you can have them follow you on the pteradon.  Argies have much better weight and melee stats than ptera.

I normally try to tame 3 Argies early on in game (before saddle access) 2 I level up in weight and HP, the 3rd I level up in melee and HP.  I use that 3rd one as a body guard to the two with the weight boost. I have all 3 follow me on the ptera, and gather a ton of resources at the mountain or volcanoes then return to base. 

But BEFORE you do any of this, tame 2-3 more pteras!!

build a argy trap (permanent resuable trap):
8 stone foundations, 8 stone ceilings, 32 stone doorways, 8 pillars, 1 dino gate, 1 dinogate door, 1 stone fence foundation for easy placement of dino gate.

place the 8 foundations in a 2x4 layout.  snap the stone fence foundation to one of the 2 wide foundation spots.  place the stone door ways along the 4 long sides 4 tall,  place the 8 ceilings above in a 2x8 just like the foundations, add the dinogateway then the door.  on the back snap the pillars to the center edge of the foundations 4 tall.  open the gateway door.  now you lead a argy strait in through the door using your ptera, your ptera will be able to fly out between the pillars in the back but the argy won't be able to, this is a better method for your ptera to get out then using the 1 missing wall.  land your ptera just out of reach of the argy on the pillar side so it keeps the argy's attention and you run around to the door quicklike and close it.  argy trapped knock it out and tame it :D.  I prefer this trap over just using gateways, it makes it easier to hit the argy from all sides.

for your ptera, make sure it has 1k health and a good amount of stam for pulling the argy into the trap, its good to build the trap near where argy's spawn so you don't have too far to pull them.   you can keep the argy following just making sure that you stay just out of range. if it loses focus on you just fly back to it  and stay tight on it till it focuses on you, it might hit your ptera once during that (why the higher health).  and keep pulling till you get it into the trap.   I've pulled argy's a long distance solo with a ptera with 1k health and 780 stam, its not as hard as it seems, using 3rd person can help so you can quickly look behind you and see if your getting too far ahead of the argy.

for resource gathering on the mountains  you want not only a good argy but a good anky as well, level the argy for both stam and weight, 1 stam point for every two weight points.  This will help you maintain the longest possible flight time while carrying the anky thats full of metal.  also keep a stack of stim berries and some meat on the argy, if its stam starts dropping low with nowhere close by to land, forcefeed it some stim berries to give it a stam boost, and continue the flight.

Now on the resources - metal - leave it on the anky,  Crystal & Obsidian - move that to the argy for 1/2 weight.  take as little gear with you as possible,  keep both the argy and anky on follow, so if they get attacked or attack something, they don't go too far off.  I usually keep both on 'attack my target' as i usually end up getting attacked by a raptor or a saber while mining, and if i see a rex, i hop on the argy and grab up the anky to keep them safe.

this is just how i do it being a solo player most the time, im sure others have other methods.   a good 2.5k weight argy and 1k weight anky can end you up with a good supply of metal, crystal and obsidian to head back to base with, even though it may be a little bit of a slow travel to get back.

5 hours ago, caleb68 said:

build a argy trap (permanent resuable trap):
8 stone foundations, 8 stone ceilings, 32 stone doorways, 8 pillars, 1 dino gate, 1 dinogate door, 1 stone fence foundation for easy placement of dino gate.

Or you can also use 4 stone dino gateways and 2 stone dino gates. Place them in line as seen in the picture (careful with the gap) and put up the gates at both ends.

image.thumb.png.d97c0d007b6462ad926f857efb82009c.png

10 hours ago, Joebl0w13 said:

Overbuilding the traps. Just build the trap on the right, much cheaper. kite Argie into it, open door (traps it), tame.

I prefer a trap that the argy can't get out of once it decides to turn a flee,  one of my alliance members built a trap like that one and 2 argy escaped from it.   The trap i use i leave, and i return to it when i need to replace a argy or want to tame some more.  It hasn't failed me once like the gate traps or the partial wall trap.

• Volunteer Moderator
22 hours ago, caleb68 said:

I prefer a trap that the argy can't get out of once it decides to turn a flee,  one of my alliance members built a trap like that one and 2 argy escaped from it.   The trap i use i leave, and i return to it when i need to replace a argy or want to tame some more.  It hasn't failed me once like the gate traps or the partial wall trap.

Don’t build on a slope facing down at the entry. That’s what caused it. I’ve trapped 100+ argies in this. Never an issue. 

On 8/22/2019 at 3:22 AM, Darkholis said:

Or you can also use 4 stone dino gateways and 2 stone dino gates. Place them in line as seen in the picture (careful with the gap) and put up the gates at both ends.

image.thumb.png.d97c0d007b6462ad926f857efb82009c.png

Ugh i hate those traps (no offence) 

Im a good ole proper trap builder. The most flexible traps are drop traps. Ive got a wicked one i've made with a Tek Behe gate infront thats never failed me

I always build a raft first and then build a box on top with a dino gate and instead of walls I use window frames. Leave an open doorway and room on the side to land and run to once the argie is trapped.  I've even left my pteri in there for the argie to beat on while I work on knocking the argie out, either way works.  My son likes to fly low towards the trap and then fly up and over where the argie flies right in instead of flying over with you.  To each his own, but I don't mind having the pteri beat up and even die as long as I get the argie it's a win.

I like the dino gate traps because of how easy they are to set up. Yeah they may cost a bit more in resources but if you have the appropriate utility tames to farm said resources it's a non-issue. But yeah basically what everyone else is saying, take 2 or 3 Argies plus and Anky to get all that metal, obsidian and crystal and fly it back. A Quetzal works too but they're slow as hell.

Archived