Community Crunch 194: Genesis, Public Beta, and On The Horizon

StudioWildcard

1 hour ago, JoseSanchez said:

There is nothing wrong with the Developers balancing the game around PvP. If they had released Extinction with these mechanics changed the way they are suggesting now, PvE players wouldn't bat an eye. Now that they are actively looking to Balance the things that they've made, everyone is losing their minds. Lets just hope that they take all of this feedback and moaning into consideration when they are balancing Genesis dinos so they don't have to do another TLC pass that will cause an uproar.

Reality is, players on Official PvP have lost thousands upon thousands of hours of work because of the gross imbalance that Extinction brought to the table. It is reasonable to expect Wildcard to see that and want to fix it. 

Except that Extinction dinos are just the Flavor of the Month dinos to hate on. The cries for nerfs never stop. It almost doesn't matter what Genesis gives on or how crappy, there will be cries for nerfs.  Once they nerf those, it'll be Gigas, then Boss Rexes, then Yutys, etc etc etc etc etc.

Remember, though, you are the minority. To use your own logic, they should bend over backwards to placate the PVE community, as we are the larger community and they can fleece the most money out of us, whereas if they make your community happy and anger us, they will get less money as there are fewer of you.

You want the game to cater to you.  We want the game to cater to us.  Neither is of us are wrong if we force the devs to give you the 'balance' you crave, while leaving PVE the hell alone.  Everybody wins.  

• Like 1

I usually avoid participating on the forums on pvp balance issues, but my understanding from the PVE community regarding the snow owl is that currently :
Snow owl makes it very easy to knock/tame a dino?
If that is the case then that means is too cheesy, is making it too easy for PVE players, so in that case then YES , you should be ok with that proposed pvp balance change so SNOW OWLS do not allow PVE players to be able to tame or do these things too easily, while at the same time benefiting PVP mode? all im getting is you want these things to be too easy, also we've been taming stuff normally for 4 years, so why would you be against a change that actually benefits the overall ark playerbase?

i have not heard any other argument against the snow owl change besides that, so explain to me why else would you not want that nerf on snow owl then?

Edited by MrDolphin
  • Facepalm 1

4 hours ago, MrDolphin said:

I usually avoid participating on the forums on pvp balance issues, but my understanding from the PVE community regarding the snow owl is that currently :
If that is the case then that means is too cheesy, is making it too easy for PVE players, so in that case then YES , you should be ok with that proposed pvp balance change so SNOW OWLS do not allow PVE players to be able to tame or do these things too easily, while at the same time benefiting PVP mode? all im getting is you want these things to be too easy, also we've been taming stuff normally for 4 years, so why would you be against a change that actually benefits the overall ark playerbase?

i have not heard any other argument against the snow owl change besides that, so explain to me why else would you not want that nerf on snow owl then?

By that logic anything that changes the game to make something better or easier in PvE from the base experience should be nerfed... traps, shocking tranq darts, baryonix the list is endless if you follow the logic path far enough. 

All these things added are fun and change the way the game is played and enjoyed... If something is so obviously broken that it defeats the point of any other item in the game then yes it needs a nerf but stupid things like knocking you off a dino with freeze... It never hurt anyone in PvE and was fun to mess with friends... and captuing with an owl was a gem of a find that brought a new experience.

PvP-ers are just going to moan ever single time a nerf happens and a new meta is formed. they should have a seperate path with more balanced play is all I am saying so PvE doesn't have to endure the never ending cycle of dinos nerfed to the point they become worthless and deleted. If that is the path they continue to follow why even bother making anything new at all?

Edited by Wildeheart
spelling
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Wildeheart said:

And so moan meets counter moan as metas shift and devs waste countless hours ruining fun gameplay for the few that have no sense of fair game play. So much time and money lost that could be better spent on developing their original and fun game ideas further. It's sad we all pay that price for this. :(

Yeah Wilde, preaching to the choir, bud.  I agree!  But as long as a META exists, what can be done?

• Like 1

More dam nerfs thanks to pvp makes ark less enjoyable makes you wonder when the new dlc comes all the new dinos will be fun and amazing then some pvp will use them to attack noobs or those who don't have the means of obtaining the dlc and so they will cry and moan to WC that the dinos are to strong  bla bla what happens next is that what makes the new dinos amazing and fun will be taken away which is stupid they really need to make two separate setting for pvp so they can Nerf the dinos to the ground if they so wish but not affect pve

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, ThePryBar said:

Pvp players whine and moan because playing pvp is very time consuming and stressful, yes pve can take effort to but not on the same scale. 

You choose to play a game mode which the premise is to kill and take from others, you can not now complain when one finds a better way to kill and steal from you. Instead of finding a way to counter their attack you whine to the game development team till they punish all.

I just wish both PvE and PvP were taken into consideration with each update. I know nothing about the games code but with the owl changes would it be possible to only have a cooldown on tames/players instead of wilds too? Same with damage nerfs to dinos like manas, having a reduction vs players/tames would balance pvp and not effect pve. A lot of people want the ability to transfer titans removed/nerfing their strength once transferred, which I'm 100% on board with even though I primarily play pve, It's something we never do anyways. Changes shouldn't have to be tailored for one game mode

On 8/13/2019 at 7:21 AM, Tylerrrr said:

Im sorry but can you please inform me on how this in any way, shape or form this affects PVE? you guys have had 2-3 years of "FUN" on PVE servers with WCs fast responses meanwhile we have to sit here and suffer, I think its fantastic WC is finally helping us and working with us on PVP servers instead of having to think about you guys on your no fighting servers. Us PVPers have alot more to lose than your glasshouses. 

Please explain how any of this PUNISHES you on your beloved PVE servers.

- Mek shield debuff set to not be given on shield deactivation
- Outside of Mek shield debuff reduced to 30 seconds (from 60)
- Snow Owl freeze buff set to not dismount riders
- Players and Dino’s are immune to the snow owl freeze for 10 seconds after being frozen
- Reduced Tek Tapejara Saddle projectile damage by 30%
- Reduced Tek Tapejara Saddle projectile damage to structures by 75%
- Dropped Plant Species Z Fruit weight to 10

Actually the Tek Tape Saddle is probably the go to for doing element veins on Extinction so the 30% reduction may have an effect on that. Someone already mentioned the 10 second cooldown on Owls Freeze,I wonder if this has an effect on multiple owls or just the one that uses it before another? If it works for multiple than I think even for PVP its a nerf that hurts the value of the Owl. I think if they are going to add a cooldown  to this than the healing should be buffed some along with the time frozen. The rest seems legit to me.

On 8/14/2019 at 2:05 AM, MrDolphin said:

For me it would be about healing. Perhaps if they buff the healing effect a bit to make up the difference I would be ok with it. Also,if a tribe has multiple owls and this cooldown effects all owls with the one dino than that is also a negative result. Console PVE gets hurt the most with these nerfs,they do not have access to mods to counter them. I wish they would just add server ini so that they could just make the changes server side. It would than be good for both PVE and PVP because those who run servers could adjust it themselves...they do with many other things.

On 8/13/2019 at 1:08 PM, MasterChief117 said:

It's because the game was NEVER intended to be a pve game ever, and it shouldn't be IMO.

Pretty sure more people play PvP than PvE.

Ummm,there are large numbers of PVE role players and social/casuals as well. And to be fair the game was intended to reach many demographics not just one. That is what makes Ark so great to be honest. It is approachable to all kinds of players. 

2 hours ago, Somes said:

For me it would be about healing. Perhaps if they buff the healing effect a bit to make up the difference I would be ok with it. Also,if a tribe has multiple owls and this cooldown effects all owls with the one dino than that is also a negative result. Console PVE gets hurt the most with these nerfs,they do not have access to mods to counter them. I wish they would just add server ini so that they could just make the changes server side. It would than be good for both PVE and PVP because those who run servers could adjust it themselves...they do with many other things.

This in theory shouldnt be too difficult to make happen aswell. have 2 files for each mode. 

then like you say they can make server side adjustments to each .ini when needed

22 hours ago, Eds11 said:

More dam nerfs thanks to pvp makes ark less enjoyable makes you wonder when the new dlc comes all the new dinos will be fun and amazing then some pvp will use them to attack noobs or those who don't have the means of obtaining the dlc and so they will cry and moan to WC that the dinos are to strong  bla bla what happens next is that what makes the new dinos amazing and fun will be taken away which is stupid they really need to make two separate setting for pvp so they can Nerf the dinos to the ground if they so wish but not affect pve

Bam

On 8/14/2019 at 12:05 AM, MrDolphin said:

I also try to avoid this topic as it just a endless argument but, 1st off PvE you all complain that anytime WC changes or nerfs a dino you are usually the first people to jump in here and say that is ruining your experience.  So I will take an old nerf for example.....flyer nerf from way back in the day.  So the speed cap on flyers how did that ruin your game in a PvE aspect?  Cause you can't fly across the island in 2 seconds? Cause your trying to beat someone to a drop or a wild dino to tame?  Cause you cant get materials back and forth as quick as you used too?  Lets look at it from a PvP perspective......When Pt's could fly over pick you drop you kill you before you computer could even render the dino in because the PT has so much points in movement speed.  Could C spin into a base without taking one turret shot because turrets even back than could not keep up with the speed.  For the record I think we need to have Flyer speed increased or let us increase the speed of flyers again just cap it or like the allo make it where it only goes up by 1/2% per point or something.   The only thing I am hearing from most of the PvE, not all of you, is that you now cant tame a quetz as easy.  I can think of at least 4 different ways that you can solo tame a quetz and it just as easy but because you cant freeze a wild dino to force it to the ground to make you life more convenient that is wrong for WC to do if that is the case snowflake go play another game.  I wish PvE people would try once in a while to look at things from a different perspective (Same with PvP people too)  you guys have it EASY compared to us PvP.  I would love just for 1 day I could go raid a PvE base/server right now with the current META and you guys could see how it feels to have so much time and energy put into a base/tames to see it all fall in a matter of hours because of a TEK Tape zerg a few racers and gigas and a couple of meks.  Yes i have seen bases with 100 turrets wiped by about 15-20 people because of the META is it possible to do since the TEK Tape can cause so much damage to structures right now.    I am sorry but when TEK structures came out it was logically the next phase after metal but when TEK Tapejara can cut threw TEK structures like a hot knife threw butter that doesn't make sense to me shouldn't TEK structures be this awesome thing where if you want it you have to work for it and actually try to blow into it?  Not sit there and shoot it down in a blink of eye?  From a PvP aspect we are actually punished in a way if we were to build a huge base 100% out of TEK becuase TEK tapes would rip right through it like nothing.  To me that is a form of ruining the game not "I can't freeze a wild dino now".  I understand the base example I gave is not the best but my point is there is a difference in ruining a player experience vs I cant tame something as easy now.  Now yes I agree with most people WC made the mess that ARK is right now, PvP is not balanced and in reality it never will be lets all be honest with ourselves.  ARK will never be balanced we all know this just some of us will never admit to it or dont want to admit to it.  Have there been certain nerfs I thought were uncalled for sure do! Do I think that at times WC has no clue DILO there are doing sure.  But most of us as well dont know the Dev side of things either and what limitation programming and coding can have within the game engine itself.  Sure I get frustrated with them from time to time because servers are laggy as hell char have been lost during transfers dinos have been lost due to bugs or my mana going pass the world border and dying because of lag.  All these things exist and I am sure some are easy to fix others are more complicated, I try to give WC devs a pass on somethings because I am sure coding and all that technical stuff is easier said than done at times depending on what they are trying to correct.  But I am tired of hearing PvE people complain about change because 99% of the time changes usually dont affect your "game-play"  you dont have to worry about 20 TEK tape sitting outside your base ready to shoot your base down, you dont have to worry about a sausage quetz coming to your base a blowing a hole in it without it taking one shot from a turret, and before i hear well the statement that PvE like to use of "play PvE than instead of PvP' just as you have your reasons to play PvE I have my reason to play PvP.  The game was not designed to be played one way or the other so please stop that nonsense of ARK was based as either or.  ARK was designed to be a survival game, you know survive, against PvE or PvP.  And yes a lot of us PvP people enjoy the lore behind the game just want to throw that out there.  So long post I probably repeated my self a lot but whatever.  However WC Dev team I do want to take time to say a couple things to you in hopes you will read this however I doubt you will.  The biggest issue with PvP that I think a lot of PvP people dont point out is this, How many dinos/creatures have you guys created?  100+?  How many are actually practical to use in PvP 10-15 maybe (excluding farming dinos like the anky and such) I mean hey I wanna grab "x" dino and go PvP.  Dinos in a PvP perspective dont have "niches" or ablities that could counter other dinos.  Sure you gave us the new dino with Val but what do we have really do counter TEK tape rushes?  I like the TEK tape "nerf" but that really only solves a small bit of what hurts PvP.  Why dont you 1/2 the TEK tape damage and increase TEK structure heath or  make it to where TEK structures take 1/2 damage vs TEK projectiles?  Make it where the whole META of freeze person with owl throw out a pocket giga kill said person without even trying.  And yes Devs there is a reason why people build in caves.  I love the titans they great awesome and all that but really people on other maps do kinda get screwed over because turrets have been nerf to the point that no one really who have been around for awhile are really that afraid of turrets anymore.  I remember back in the day turrets/x plants used to scare people off back in  the day.  Its almost like the risk/reward "system" has gone away.  Oh that base has 100 turrets that OK we got 5 racers with capped saddles and a bunch of duped Valentines day candies will take care of that no problem.  If you really wanna "balance" the game make it worth while to have a huge base on the island/center/rag again.  Make turrets a viable option or give us something to where yes if someone downloads a titan on said map the other tribe does in fact have a chance to counter effectively.  What that is I honestly dont know? Up turret damage/range again?  Up turret limit to 200?  Gigas get a buff similar to trikes where gigas can do more damage to titans?  Again I really dont know but alot of things have been taking away from us PvP that I think PvE people dont get.  I personally loved it where on PvP you could effectively have nice/huge looking  base but could withstand PvP.  We dont have that now.  PvE you can pretty much build anywhere you want on any map.  PvP not so much if you want your base to stand for more than 24HRS.  I get it any base can be raided with enough people/resources/time everyone in PvP knows this and understands it, my point is this, people build in the Ice Cave or Carno Cave cause why?  Well a death wall full of turrets is a better defense option that a base in the open on the island somewhere where yes i am sorry turrets and dinos can only do so much against the current META right now.  It honestly seems at times Devs you are running around in circles like the Mana.....Manas where admittedly OP when they came out in the beginning and than you "nerf" but it seems like your always doing that.  I get it your not going to get every dino/creature 100% balance and/or correct the first time sometimes trial and error or BETA testing would be the way to go before you launch things on the official network.  An Idea comes to mind I get your BETA testing changes which is cool and all but how before you launch genesis have a close beta server and let a good chunk of the PvP and PvE population participate in get feedback and change things are possibly bugged/broken/mesh spots/etc......re test it than try again.  Remember when you all first came out on steam?  I do. It was fun but at least we all knew what we signed up for and you were actively fixing things and listing to the people who played the game.  I would not bitch if you came out and said we are delaying a patch or whatever if you came out and said we tested this and because of "xyz" issues we are going to repair this issue re test/fix and than release and let us know why and give us a realistic time line (which i understand sometimes is easier said than done).  

• Facepalm 2

21 hours ago, Greatchawhee said:

You choose to play a game mode which the premise is to kill and take from others, you can not now complain when one finds a better way to kill and steal from you. Instead of finding a way to counter their attack you whine to the game development team till they punish all.

And you choose to play a game mode where the premise is I can do whatever I want but complain when 99% of the time Nerfs and or META changes dont directly affect your game play.  Like honestly what nerf on this next patch punishes you (honest question)

1 hour ago, Zuthraa said:

And you choose to play a game mode where the premise is I can do whatever I want but complain when 99% of the time Nerfs and or META changes dont directly affect your game play.  Like honestly what nerf on this next patch punishes you (honest question)

2 hours ago, Zuthraa said:

I also try to avoid this topic as it just a endless argument but, 1st off PvE you all complain that anytime WC changes or nerfs a dino you are usually the first people to jump in here and say that is ruining your experience.  So I will take an old nerf for example.....flyer nerf from way back in the day.  So the speed cap on flyers how did that ruin your game in a PvE aspect?  Cause you can't fly across the island in 2 seconds? Cause your trying to beat someone to a drop or a wild dino to tame?  Cause you cant get materials back and forth as quick as you used too?  Lets look at it from a PvP perspective......When Pt's could fly over pick you drop you kill you before you computer could even render the dino in because the PT has so much points in movement speed.  Could C spin into a base without taking one turret shot because turrets even back than could not keep up with the speed.  For the record I think we need to have Flyer speed increased or let us increase the speed of flyers again just cap it or like the allo make it where it only goes up by 1/2% per point or something.   The only thing I am hearing from most of the PvE, not all of you, is that you now cant tame a quetz as easy.  I can think of at least 4 different ways that you can solo tame a quetz and it just as easy but because you cant freeze a wild dino to force it to the ground to make you life more convenient that is wrong for WC to do if that is the case snowflake go play another game.  I wish PvE people would try once in a while to look at things from a different perspective (Same with PvP people too)  you guys have it EASY compared to us PvP.  I would love just for 1 day I could go raid a PvE base/server right now with the current META and you guys could see how it feels to have so much time and energy put into a base/tames to see it all fall in a matter of hours because of a TEK Tape zerg a few racers and gigas and a couple of meks.  Yes i have seen bases with 100 turrets wiped by about 15-20 people because of the META is it possible to do since the TEK Tape can cause so much damage to structures right now.    I am sorry but when TEK structures came out it was logically the next phase after metal but when TEK Tapejara can cut threw TEK structures like a hot knife threw butter that doesn't make sense to me shouldn't TEK structures be this awesome thing where if you want it you have to work for it and actually try to blow into it?  Not sit there and shoot it down in a blink of eye?  From a PvP aspect we are actually punished in a way if we were to build a huge base 100% out of TEK becuase TEK tapes would rip right through it like nothing.  To me that is a form of ruining the game not "I can't freeze a wild dino now".  I understand the base example I gave is not the best but my point is there is a difference in ruining a player experience vs I cant tame something as easy now.  Now yes I agree with most people WC made the mess that ARK is right now, PvP is not balanced and in reality it never will be lets all be honest with ourselves.  ARK will never be balanced we all know this just some of us will never admit to it or dont want to admit to it.  Have there been certain nerfs I thought were uncalled for sure do! Do I think that at times WC has no clue DILO there are doing sure.  But most of us as well dont know the Dev side of things either and what limitation programming and coding can have within the game engine itself.  Sure I get frustrated with them from time to time because servers are laggy as hell char have been lost during transfers dinos have been lost due to bugs or my mana going pass the world border and dying because of lag.  All these things exist and I am sure some are easy to fix others are more complicated, I try to give WC devs a pass on somethings because I am sure coding and all that technical stuff is easier said than done at times depending on what they are trying to correct.  But I am tired of hearing PvE people complain about change because 99% of the time changes usually dont affect your "game-play"  you dont have to worry about 20 TEK tape sitting outside your base ready to shoot your base down, you dont have to worry about a sausage quetz coming to your base a blowing a hole in it without it taking one shot from a turret, and before i hear well the statement that PvE like to use of "play PvE than instead of PvP' just as you have your reasons to play PvE I have my reason to play PvP.  The game was not designed to be played one way or the other so please stop that nonsense of ARK was based as either or.  ARK was designed to be a survival game, you know survive, against PvE or PvP.  And yes a lot of us PvP people enjoy the lore behind the game just want to throw that out there.  So long post I probably repeated my self a lot but whatever.  However WC Dev team I do want to take time to say a couple things to you in hopes you will read this however I doubt you will.  The biggest issue with PvP that I think a lot of PvP people dont point out is this, How many dinos/creatures have you guys created?  100+?  How many are actually practical to use in PvP 10-15 maybe (excluding farming dinos like the anky and such) I mean hey I wanna grab "x" dino and go PvP.  Dinos in a PvP perspective dont have "niches" or ablities that could counter other dinos.  Sure you gave us the new dino with Val but what do we have really do counter TEK tape rushes?  I like the TEK tape "nerf" but that really only solves a small bit of what hurts PvP.  Why dont you 1/2 the TEK tape damage and increase TEK structure heath or  make it to where TEK structures take 1/2 damage vs TEK projectiles?  Make it where the whole META of freeze person with owl throw out a pocket giga kill said person without even trying.  And yes Devs there is a reason why people build in caves.  I love the titans they great awesome and all that but really people on other maps do kinda get screwed over because turrets have been nerf to the point that no one really who have been around for awhile are really that afraid of turrets anymore.  I remember back in the day turrets/x plants used to scare people off back in  the day.  Its almost like the risk/reward "system" has gone away.  Oh that base has 100 turrets that OK we got 5 racers with capped saddles and a bunch of duped Valentines day candies will take care of that no problem.  If you really wanna "balance" the game make it worth while to have a huge base on the island/center/rag again.  Make turrets a viable option or give us something to where yes if someone downloads a titan on said map the other tribe does in fact have a chance to counter effectively.  What that is I honestly dont know? Up turret damage/range again?  Up turret limit to 200?  Gigas get a buff similar to trikes where gigas can do more damage to titans?  Again I really dont know but alot of things have been taking away from us PvP that I think PvE people dont get.  I personally loved it where on PvP you could effectively have nice/huge looking  base but could withstand PvP.  We dont have that now.  PvE you can pretty much build anywhere you want on any map.  PvP not so much if you want your base to stand for more than 24HRS.  I get it any base can be raided with enough people/resources/time everyone in PvP knows this and understands it, my point is this, people build in the Ice Cave or Carno Cave cause why?  Well a death wall full of turrets is a better defense option that a base in the open on the island somewhere where yes i am sorry turrets and dinos can only do so much against the current META right now.  It honestly seems at times Devs you are running around in circles like the Mana.....Manas where admittedly OP when they came out in the beginning and than you "nerf" but it seems like your always doing that.  I get it your not going to get every dino/creature 100% balance and/or correct the first time sometimes trial and error or BETA testing would be the way to go before you launch things on the official network.  An Idea comes to mind I get your BETA testing changes which is cool and all but how before you launch genesis have a close beta server and let a good chunk of the PvP and PvE population participate in get feedback and change things are possibly bugged/broken/mesh spots/etc......re test it than try again.  Remember when you all first came out on steam?  I do. It was fun but at least we all knew what we signed up for and you were actively fixing things and listing to the people who played the game.  I would not bitch if you came out and said we are delaying a patch or whatever if you came out and said we tested this and because of "xyz" issues we are going to repair this issue re test/fix and than release and let us know why and give us a realistic time line (which i understand sometimes is easier said than done).  

Lol!!!!! Only reason dinos\creatures get nerfed is all the crying from the pvp community. ..100% fact. learn how to cope with your metas. Adapt and overcome .what if there was no help from WC and you was just stuck with whatever the devs put in game . You would be forced to change ur routine \play style  

• Thanks 1

I am just asking, but for you folks who say Tek tape are OP and there is no defense for them. Wc created a defense against fires a long time ago. Have any of you tried dimorphodons? A small flock of those. tell them to attack a tape. When they attack  they do damage to the rider before they do damage to the mount that means any flyer  is susceptible to dimorphodons flocks.they  are tiny and hard to hit. Just asking if any of you have tried that because I have tried that and they work very effectively.

4 hours ago, Lycan187u said:

Lol!!!!! Only reason dinos\creatures get nerfed is all the crying from the pvp community. ..100% fact. learn how to cope with your metas. Adapt and overcome .what if there was no help from WC and you was just stuck with whatever the devs put in game . You would be forced to change ur routine \play style  

So by your logic its wrong for us pvp to have a voice so Pve people can have there way??  Just asking.....and yes we do change and adopt.

Hello all. First I’d like to say great job on valguero. It’s a gorgeous map. Thank you for fixing the ice wyverns. They seem to have scared away all the fire wyverns and eggs.  Could be just the server I’m on. I figure the more reports you get makes it easier to track problems. My server seems to lack the rainbows and Aurora’s. I run a few primitive servers and as far as I know these seem to be the only issues which for a new map is actually impressive.  I’m very excited for the upcoming map hopefully it works with prim +.

Keep up the great work and thank you for tryin to fix problems. That’s all anyone can ask.