Community Crunch 194: Genesis, Public Beta, and On The Horizon

StudioWildcard

3 minutes ago, Tylerrrr said:

Tell me if you enjoy the sounds of this METAS really quick and it'll make you realise how fixes in this game need to be sorted for PVP

Flyers that can pick you up and drag you into bases quicker than you can blink.
Being able to beer / cake a Tanking dino just so it lasts an extra 30 mins tanking
Veg Cakes that healed 1/2 the dinos hp back per bite while tanking
Longneck and fabs being 755% damage hitting your flak harder than turrets especially with aimbotters.
Ghillie running 100+ turrets and shock darts that make a character not move for a long period of time.
Being able to walk a turtle or any dino with no box on the back to a base and c4 off the back of it and manage to get inside in minutes.
Now thats just 1 of the old metas.

These days it is 
Snow owl slow the enemy 
Throw a giga 
Instantly kill.

or

Using a mek to debuff / not even needing to because your meks do so much dmg it doesnt matter for debuff
not being able to run from a mek because of the debuff or even how much dmg the pistol does
end up losing tames that take 2 weeks to raise because of 1 stupid broken robot.

OR 

All this Sh** at once.

So you decide if PVP needs to be fixed or not.

Most fixes in this game are PVP related because its not ideal to watch someone run 100 turrets on foot or watch 30 tapes fly into a base instead of having to tank it for hours or even watching a dino like manas 1 tapping you off the back of a tame that took you 2 weeks to raise i.e Giga

As for the same effects, No. it does not effect you at all, im sorry you have to hold down your owl for an extra second now to freeze and having to wait a 10 SECOND timer to freeze another dino just to knock it out and realise that after 3 years you do have better stats anyway. 

Any other changes in this testing is nothing for PVE

All of these issues could be easily sorted if PvP servers were treated like SoTF balance wise. This would also Allow PvE servers the freedom to enjoy their gameplay the way they like it too. :)

2 minutes ago, Wildeheart said:

All of these issues could be easily sorted if PvP servers were treated like SoTF balance wise. This would also Allow PvE servers the freedom to enjoy their gameplay the way they like it too. :)

I dont want to sound rude but nobody liked SOTF but the people who played it, anyone else including me did not like it.

This game involves dinos and we need to use them instead of running around on foot with snipers and bows.

Which is why we need our dinos balanced for PVP.

I do agree on there needing to be certain patches for PVE and PVP that shouldnt effect eachother but getting WC to fix anything at the moment is a struggle itself.

9 minutes ago, Tylerrrr said:

I dont want to sound rude but nobody liked SOTF but the people who played it, anyone else including me did not like it.

This game involves dinos and we need to use them instead of running around on foot with snipers and bows.

Which is why we need our dinos balanced for PVP.

I do agree on there needing to be certain patches for PVE and PVP that shouldnt effect eachother but getting WC to fix anything at the moment is a struggle itself.

Sadly you are expecting balance for PvP in a PvE game. There isn't a single PvP game out there with as many variables as ARK has.

The reason for that is simple. You cannot balance it for both PvE and PvP at the same time. Doing so for one hurts the other. The only way is to accept you are PvP-ing in a PvE game or have a simpler version of the game that runs seperate and is more easily balanced.  Many Big companies like Blizzard entertainment have tried and failed to balance both at the same time.

With SoTF at least the playing field was fair. It is that level of balance you are asking for even if it is not the gameplay you are wanting.

Edited by Wildeheart
spelling
  • Like 1

please fix titans starving on singleplayer and titans losing the alpha/beta/gamma prefix apon logging off and logging back on in singleplayer.

also making it to where having a titan tamed makes you not need its trophy to summon the king titan would greatly help it because its mention in the explorer notes about killing or taming the titans to fight him twice AND was mentioned in streams AND having to kill your own titans, summon new ones and kill them for their trophies, then summon them again to use them against the king titan, and then doing all that 3 times over for each level of king titan is extremely tedious, especially since you need to redo it from the start if you lose to any of the kings titans you fight. doing this would make it more lore friendly and less horribly tedious to the nth degree.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MasterChief117 said:

Flyer nerf was needed. and fopr 90% of those other nerfs, never even heard of them.

How long have you been arking?  For those of us who have been here since early development, or beta or from the start. We remember, we remember, we will always remember. They give us cool stuff then a small PVP group takes advantage of it so the rest of PVP complains and makes an outcry so the devs step in and nerf stuff. Meanwhile PVE just play on nursing our losses. And as for it never being intended for a PVE game, well that's just false. From the earliest description it has been a "survival" game, even before WC bought it out.  

5 minutes ago, Wildeheart said:

Sadly you are expecting balance for PvP in a PvE game. There isn't a single PvP game out there with as many variables as ARK has.

The reason for that is simple. You cannot balance it for both PvE and PvP at the same time. Doing so for one hurts the other. The only way is to accept you are PvP-ing in a PvE game or have a simpler version of the game that runs seperate and is more easily balanced.  Many Big companies like Blizzard entertainment have tried and failed to balance both at the same time.

With SoTF at least the playing field was fair. It is that level of balance you are asking for even if it is not the gameplay you are wanting.

I would argue that ARK was designed for PvP.  I feel like it's pretty clear, but I personally do not think that the developers intended on Call of Duty with dinosaurs.  Intent aside, that is what official PvP feels like.

Also, PvP players don't want balance.  They want the gamebreaking dinos and items to remain untouched because if they know about them and the tribe they are raiding doesn't, they have a very, very, very clear advantage.  Argue against this point all you want, but few PvP players want to go up against an enemy that they have a perfect 50/50 shot at defeating.  They want a powershift dynamic to keep victory certainly attainable for one, and for two, the salty tears that come from griefed/harassed players are always better when you (as the aggressor) know that with 100% certainty there is no possible way in hell the tribe you are attacking can do anything to stop you.

If you achieve true balance, then there will be a clear point in base-hardening where you have no less-hardened of a base than a mega-tribe (I define base hardness as like, ease of raiding).  How many people who PvP would want the game closer to that 50/50 chance where most of the time a raid could go either way because there is no 100% game-changing powershift thing like a Titan or a MEK or a Tek Tapej or a Mana or whatever it is?  I think more people than not (the majority) would vote in favor of keeping the items that clearly define victory, because only the people getting attacked are interested in balance.

1 hour ago, Tylerrrr said:

Tell me if you enjoy the sounds of this METAS really quick and it'll make you realise how fixes in this game need to be sorted for PVP

Flyers that can pick you up and drag you into bases quicker than you can blink.
Being able to beer / cake a Tanking dino just so it lasts an extra 30 mins tanking
Veg Cakes that healed 1/2 the dinos hp back per bite while tanking
Longneck and fabs being 755% damage hitting your flak harder than turrets especially with aimbotters.
Ghillie running 100+ turrets and shock darts that make a character not move for a long period of time.
Being able to walk a turtle or any dino with no box on the back to a base and c4 off the back of it and manage to get inside in minutes.
Now thats just 1 of the old metas.

These days it is 
Snow owl slow the enemy 
Throw a giga 
Instantly kill.

or

Using a mek to debuff / not even needing to because your meks do so much dmg it doesnt matter for debuff
not being able to run from a mek because of the debuff or even how much dmg the pistol does
end up losing tames that take 2 weeks to raise because of 1 stupid broken robot.

OR 

All this Sh** at once.

So you decide if PVP needs to be fixed or not.

Most fixes in this game are PVP related because its not ideal to watch someone run 100 turrets on foot or watch 30 tapes fly into a base instead of having to tank it for hours or even watching a dino like manas 1 tapping you off the back of a tame that took you 2 weeks to raise i.e Giga

As for the same effects, No. it does not effect you at all, im sorry you have to hold down your owl for an extra second now to freeze and having to wait a 10 SECOND timer to freeze another dino just to knock it out and realise that after 3 years you do have better stats anyway. 

Any other changes in this testing is nothing for PVE

Official weapon damage is capped  at 298% not 755 % ;)and the quetzal taming  method was just a example. If u are getting  1 tapped  by a mana is because  your noob...if u get carried  to a enemy's base by a flyer ur noob ...I have 10k hours about 5k of it on pvp.if a player can run into your base with 100 heavy turrets ur build is poop ...just my 2 cents ;)

49 minutes ago, TheDonn said:

I would argue that ARK was designed for PvP.  I feel like it's pretty clear, but I personally do not think that the developers intended on Call of Duty with dinosaurs.  Intent aside, that is what official PvP feels like.

Also, PvP players don't want balance.  They want the gamebreaking dinos and items to remain untouched because if they know about them and the tribe they are raiding doesn't, they have a very, very, very clear advantage.  Argue against this point all you want, but few PvP players want to go up against an enemy that they have a perfect 50/50 shot at defeating.  They want a powershift dynamic to keep victory certainly attainable for one, and for two, the salty tears that come from griefed/harassed players are always better when you (as the aggressor) know that with 100% certainty there is no possible way in hell the tribe you are attacking can do anything to stop you.

If you achieve true balance, then there will be a clear point in base-hardening where you have no less-hardened of a base than a mega-tribe (I define base hardness as like, ease of raiding).  How many people who PvP would want the game closer to that 50/50 chance where most of the time a raid could go either way because there is no 100% game-changing powershift thing like a Titan or a MEK or a Tek Tapej or a Mana or whatever it is?  I think more people than not (the majority) would vote in favor of keeping the items that clearly define victory, because only the people getting attacked are interested in balance.

And so moan meets counter moan as metas shift and devs waste countless hours ruining fun gameplay for the few that have no sense of fair game play. So much time and money lost that could be better spent on developing their original and fun game ideas further. It's sad we all pay that price for this. :(

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MasterChief117 said:

It's because the game was NEVER intended to be a pve game ever, and it shouldn't be IMO.

Pretty sure more people play PvP than PvE.

Dev confirmed statistic: more people play PVE than PVP, actually. It may have once been a PVP game, but it is now majority PVE, yet we the silent majority suffer often because the vocal minority cries.  It would be fine if they would split PVP and PVE balances out.

This suggestion post has 164 unique votes in its favor. It is by far the most popular suggestion in the whole suggestions page. If the devs listened and went ahead and separated changes out, this game would be so much better--but that's a lot of work to do.

We PVE'ers are just tired of being quiet while PVP takes away all of our fun.  What's the point of having unique dinos if PVP cannot adapt to changing metas?  Why not, then, just make all new dinos essentially reskinned old ones.  New turtle mount? Just strip away all the utility and make it a reskinned mosa with an innate platform saddle. (Bet you that building on it will use up like 30 dino slots, fYI, for "balance". )

New lava lizard? Just make it a re skinned thorny dragon.  Would that make things better in the eyes of PVP'ers?  Yes, and make things boring as hell.  That's how we PVE'ers see things--your PVP outrage is homogenizing the game and making it boring. Manas are basically pointless now for PVE. They don't even really have the stamina to be fantastic distance mounts even at 5k stamina. Hop Hop Hop Hop Hop- jump off and regen.  Low level gigas are medium grade rexes. Rhinos gather berries better than brontos. Wyverns and high bred gigas are the most used mounts on PVE. Most people just use boss rexes, with Therinzes as a far less used second.  No variety because the dinos have been so nerfed and homogenized. 

Look, this isn't really an attack at you PVPers. I get it. You're super frustrated. But PVE'ers are too.  The best thing we can both do, as a community, is stop fighting each other and start working together to pressure the Dev community into listening to ALL OF US and separate the balances out. Everybody wins--even the devs. Less angry community. More players. More revenue from map packs.

Edited by Caerbannog
  • Like 3

- Mek shield debuff set to not be given on shield deactivation

This is a really good nerf to the current mek shield spam meta, however I don't think it really addresses the main issue with the debuff. And that is the insanely overpowered values attached to this debuff. The insane slow which makes it impossible to escape from a mek that is in pursuit. But most of all the HUGE 50% weakness to all damage. Mek shield debuff can single handedly determine who will win a push. So much so that neither party will push into each other, so what ensues is a group of dinos on both sides just standing inside a mek shield staring at each other for 2 hours. 

This debuff is what is OP, not the shield spam. 

- Outside of Mek shield debuff reduced to 30 seconds (from 60)

This is a good change but it doesn't address the main issue at hand, the actual debuff values.

- Snow Owl freeze buff set to not dismount riders

Great change. 

- Players and Dino’s are immune to the snow owl freeze for 10 seconds after being frozen

Great change, I would ask that this immunity also be extended to the snow owl slow as well. Also possibly address how long players are being slowed and frozen, I think these values are a tad high currently.

- Snow Owl Encapsulate/freeze wind up changed from 1.3 seconds to 2.6

Good change, this should prevent spam freezing although so would the 10 second immunity above, not sure what this change aims to accomplish. 

- Reduced Tek Tapejara Saddle projectile damage by 30%

Both of the Tek Tapejara nerfs are quite overboard. I'll start by saying that Tek Tapey zergs have a very cheap and effective counter that only require 1 or 2 people to perform. Yes 1 or 2 people can stop 50+ guys flying in on Tek Tapes. Plant Z will single handedly stop a tek tape push in it's tracks. But that isn't the only thing, there's also Yuty fear, Rex roar, mek shield, and some other creative means. These active counters exist but there are also other passive counters such as good building practices. Layering buildings with metal, vault dropping, spacing tek turrets further apart, batteries in heavies, extra tek gens, backup gas gens, etc, etc. Wildcard I understand that people are complaining about Tek Tapes but there are several counters that exist in game that currently deal with Tek Tapes, both passive and active. It's up to the player base to use these counters as they exist to protect themselves. If Tek Tapeys were inherently broken as this patch seems to make them out as being there wouldn't be as many failed Tek Tapey zerg as there has been. I believe if a tribe doesn't build correctly or defend correctly they should be punished for this, that's the nature of PVP servers. Outright nerfing effective raid tactics because people refuse to build proper defenses or adapt to current meta is really annoying and overall damaging to PVP servers.

- Reduced Tek Tapejara Saddle projectile damage to structures by 75%

Super overboard on nerf see above. I also hope that this value isn't compounded on top of the overall 30% damage reduction above. Taking this reduction of 75% nerf to structures on top of the 30% nerf this is how long it will take to destroy tek items with Tapeys

Paper math on the Tek Tapejara change:

• Tek Turret (3,000 Health) : 34 Shots : 1.25 element used with 1 Tapejara
  • Tek Wall (10,000 Health) : 114 Shots: 4.5 element used with 1 Tapejara
  • Tek Foundation (15,000 Health) : 171 Shots : 7 element used with 1 Tapejara
  • Tek Ceiling (10,000 Health) : 114 Shots: 4.5 element used with 1 Tapejara
  • Tek Generator (15,000 Health) : 171 Shots : 7 element used with 1 Tapejara
  • Tek Forcefield (250,000 Health : 2,858 Shots : 117 element used with 1 Tapejara

(All maths thanks to the one true Velo God: Jose Sanchez)

I don't think much needs said about these values besides they are utterly ridiculous, so much so that you might as well delete the tek tapey saddles from the game because of how pitiful they will be if this goes through to live servers.

- Dropped Plant Species Z Fruit weight to 10

Great change, however 10 weight I believe is still too high and again doesn't address the issue with plant Z. The issue with plant Z is the ridiculous blind that lasts at a minimum 10 seconds but often lasts a lot longer due to server lag. This is compounded by there not being an immunity period (reference; snow owls, bolas, mana freeze, etc). This is the reason why plant Z was so cancerous, NOT because people were carrying so much of it. Please properly address plant Z instead of band aid fixing it like this. I will gladly take the weight change but please Wildcard actively work on fixing it correctly like you are with snow owls.  Plant Z has a legitimate reason for existing in the current meta, I've listed above that it is one of the most effective counters to tek tape zerg, but it also exists to counter rhinos, manas, snow owls, theris, quetzals, velos, reapers, etc. 

Edited by DVSR

9 minutes ago, Caerbannog said:

Dev confirmed statistic: more people play PVE than PVP, actually. It may have once been a PVP game, but it is now majority PVE, yet we the silent majority suffer often because the vocal minority cries.  It would be fine if they would split PVP and PVE balances out.

This is wrong. PvE is the minority especially when you consider all the PVP game modes on Official. See for yourself, minority player wise and server wise.

https://arkbrowser.com/clusters

Just now, DVSR said:

This is wrong. PvE is the minority especially when you consider all the PVP game modes on Official. See for yourself, minority player wise and server wise.

This is not my statistic. This was a dev statistic. This is something Ced told us. I do not presume to think that Ced does not know what he is talking about.

5 minutes ago, DVSR said:

Are you sure you are factoring in all the unOfficial and singleplayers in this? I would hazzard a guess that the majority of PvE is on private servers and soloplay. ?

6 minutes ago, Wildeheart said:

Are you sure you are factoring in all the unOfficial and singleplayers in this? I would hazzard a guess that the majority of PvE is on private servers and soloplay. ?

Unofficial and singleplayer can use mods and custom values to modify their play experience. The devs aren't making balance changes for these people, it's for official.  

You have reached the maximum number of posts you can make per day. You have reached the maximum number of posts you can make per day. You have reached the maximum number of posts you can make per day. You have reached the maximum number of posts you can make per day. You have reached the maximum number of posts you can make per day. You have reached the maximum number of posts you can make per day. You have reached the maximum number of posts you can make per day. You have reached the maximum number of posts you can make per day.??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? What a good forum. 

Edited by DVSR
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, DVSR said:

Unofficial and singleplayer can use mods and custom values to modify their play experience. The devs aren't making balance changes for these people, it's for official.  

Yet the balance changes still affect us in very negative ways too. Not every cluster owner is a master modder nor are all things changed realistically nor easily modded back in. :)

Edited by Wildeheart
clarity

7 hours ago, Wildeheart said:

And so moan meets counter moan as metas shift and devs waste countless hours ruining fun gameplay for the few that have no sense of fair game play. So much time and money lost that could be better spent on developing their original and fun game ideas further. It's sad we all pay that price for this. :(

I'm not sure the devs wasting countless hours making changes that, in all seriousness, are minor inconveniences for PvE players but are actually necessary for Official PvP is a waste of time and money. 

The reality is, these changes that they are suggesting are reasonable. Saying one uses a Snow Owl to tame things in 2019 when any dinosaur has already been bred past the point of making taming useful is silly. Along with that, every single dinosaur can be trapped with a few dino gates. Snow Owls are not necessities when it comes to taming dinosaurs. The game has been out for 5 years, people have figured out how to knock things out without a Snow Owl to assist them. So, back to my first point, minor inconvenience to PVE.

There is nothing wrong with the Developers balancing the game around PvP. If they had released Extinction with these mechanics changed the way they are suggesting now, PvE players wouldn't bat an eye. Now that they are actively looking to Balance the things that they've made, everyone is losing their minds. Lets just hope that they take all of this feedback and moaning into consideration when they are balancing Genesis dinos so they don't have to do another TLC pass that will cause an uproar.

Reality is, players on Official PvP have lost thousands upon thousands of hours of work because of the gross imbalance that Extinction brought to the table. It is reasonable to expect Wildcard to see that and want to fix it. 

And to the people blaming PvP players for dinosaurs being "homogenized." You're asking Wildcard to do a TLC 3, when TLC 1 and 2 didn't bring them any extra revenue. There is a reason they stopped doing TLC passes to make "unique" dinos. It wasn't profitable. You know what is profitable? New DLC.

if you're going to nerf the tek tape that hard, reduce the cost. its almost laugable with those reductions, or maybe make it have shooting dura, only 50 shots before the shooting is disable till repaired in a rep? there are ways around damage factors without making an expensive, low armor saddle virtually useless....