Necroniax

Hello, I am new player

Hello, I am new player

I just got this game and am excited to start playing once it has downloaded. I wanted to go it solo cause I have heard that in multiplayer there are raiders who destroy all your stuff and trap you so you cannot play.

I am pretty blind; all I know is you can tame dinos, build a base and survive.

Any tips? Interesting stuff to do for a newbie?

Biggest tip.

Early game, be ok with dying and losing your items and tames to wild dinos even in solo. 

When you get frustrated, just step back and try something new.

Plenty to do in this game so you shouldn't get bored. Just play at your own pace. Adjust settings to suit you as you play. 

Feel free to pose questions here but try to figure things out yourself first. It's more fun that way.

Use Ark wiki or Youtube to learn about game mechanics as you come across new stuff.

Phlinger Phoo's soloing the Ark is a great new player guide on Youtube to refer to. 

Have fun

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, yekrucifixion187 said:

Biggest tip.

Early game, be ok with dying and losing your items and tames to wild dinos even in solo. 

When you get frustrated, just step back and try something new.

Plenty to do in this game so you shouldn't get bored. Just play at your own pace. Adjust settings to suit you as you play. 

Feel free to pose questions here but try to figure things out yourself first. It's more fun that way.

Use Ark wiki or Youtube to learn about game mechanics as you come across new stuff.

Phlinger Phoo's soloing the Ark is a great new player guide on Youtube to refer to. 

Have fun

Thank you for the advice!

Really my only question is, these hackers I hear about that raid servers, if I joined a server for multiplayer would this happen? I really want to play with others but I wont bother if people can come and destroy everything and trap me forever.

38 minutes ago, Necroniax said:

Thank you for the advice!

Really my only question is, these hackers I hear about that raid servers, if I joined a server for multiplayer would this happen? I really want to play with others but I wont bother if people can come and destroy everything and trap me forever.

It does happen. Primarily on PvP but hacks and stuff can happen on PvE too.

I'd suggest learn the basics in single player then look for a good unofficial server.

These are private servers owned by individuals and the best ones are well regulated and taken care of. Just look around until you find the right fit.

• Like 2

Yup, do single player first and for quite a while! Learn the mechanics, creatures + their abilities and behavior, the environment, etc. I spent about 6-8 months on SP before I joined my first server. I played there for just a week because my ~10 hour tame (Bronto) was killed just about an hour it finished taming. This was extremely frustrating, so I joined a PvE server for 1 year and after that I had my own servers for 2 years. Now I'm back on single player, because it's less stress! :D

• Thanks 1

PVE servers are the best if you want to play with others but aren't interested in fighting. You trade and collaborate with others without being blown up. Official servers have a whole lot of people, so you can find more people to trade with, but also tend to have more issues with lag (from more buildings/tames). Unofficial servers are usually smaller while having a better community (from my experience) and having custom server rates (tame speed, harvest amount, ect.). You can find servers on websites or the in game server browser.

As for game tips, always carry bolas. They're your strongest weapon. They can immobilize small/medium dinos (like raptors) so you can safely run or kill/tranq them from a distance.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

My advice: Play PVE on a private server, instead of playing on the 'official' servers. If you are going to play on your own, run the game as a 'non-dedicated server' instead of 'single player'. You can lock down the non-dedicated server session and if you want to let a friend join your game, you can. But also I've heard single player has some issues. 

Also, when you begin to play, don't be discouraged if you die. Learning the limits of what your character can take is a good thing. I spent my first few months playing overly cautious, and avoiding what I perceived to be 'dangerous' situations. That means I also missed out on a lot of experience with regard to taming. For instance, I avoided trying to tame a shark (Megalodon) because I thought they could kill me in a single bite. Then one day I got caught by a Meg as I was swimming across a body of water. It bit me like 6-7 times and I managed to make it to shore. I was badly hurt (no armor) but survived and came to appreciate that they weren't as dangerous as I had thought. 

So test your limits, even if you die, its a valuable learning experience. 

Edited by DeHammer
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

PvP is a nightmare but if you are here for that don't try to solo.  Join tribe asap.  

Official is a grind but some people need a challenge to stay interested.  I don't like grind but I'm on official BECAUSE THERE'S SO MUCH LAMA DRAMA and it amuses me to some extent.

Modded UNofficial will leave you stuck in updates forever.  Suggest unmodded.  Drop rates vary.  I hate increased drop rates because you spend more time throwing stuff out of your inventory than gathering it.  No bonus there imo.  Increase on taming and breeding is where it is at; speeds the game action up a bit.

There are creepy people on the internet and in games.  Try a server out for a while to get an idea if the players there are good to hang out with or truly ruining your day with their nag nag nag.

Make sure your server is in a CLUSTER GROUP with other servers so you can hop maps.

Edited by Jemcrystal
spelling error

On 8/13/2019 at 4:25 AM, Necroniax said:

Thank you everyone for replying!

Here is another question, when playing on servers does latency/ping have a large impact? I live in new zealand and if the servers are US or EU based I might have higher than normal ping.

I don't think that matters for official servers, offcial servers lag and will always lag with freeze, because they're too crowded or maybe limited on bandwidth because of budget. Even though it can have 70 players, doesn't matter how many players are online, it will still lag and freeze once in a while all day long.

Play single player.

Ask @DonaldDuck to do a simple and basic walk-through of settings in single player (I'm too lazy right now and probably wouldn't be any good at it anyway). 

I highly recommend Ragnarok for single player. I found an old friend the other day when I found my old Ragnarok save - then I accidentally deleted it I think when I had to reinstall the game again (likely due to recent patch/updates). 

There are a lot of YouTubers out there that make videos about Ark. Neebs Gaming is somebody I would recommend for a new player. 

After a month or so you will b able to answer all your own questions without the excess baggage other people may dump on you. 

Posted (edited)

You know the big cats in the redwood forrest? Thylacoleo is what they are called, I suggest the first thing that you do is run up to one and pet it, it's a passive tame and a level 150 should take about 1-2 pets until you are finished.

Just kidding, mostly...  YOU will be finished, AKA dead...But they are not a passive tame lol

I'd say in the begginning stages, when you reach level 9, a Bola will be your greatest weapon on most small-medium creatures.

You can use them to immobilize dinos to either, escape, tame, or kill.

Make sure that you have at least 4 on your inventory (most raptors come in a pack of three or more), and I'd suggest putting them on your hot-bar for easy equipping in tight situations.

EDIT: I just realized @Thyme mentioned this, but still worth seeing again.

Edited by SubaruImpossibru
  • Thanks 1

On 8/12/2019 at 1:20 AM, Necroniax said:

Any tips? Interesting stuff to do for a newbie?

1) You're going to die. Often. This is true until you really start to learn the game and get used to all of the different ways the game can surprise you and kill you. Therefore, make sure you play the game knowing that you're going to die. Don't carry a lot of valuable stuff on you all the time, only carry what you need for the task you are working on.

* Make sure you put beds (or at least sleeping bags) everywhere you need them. It is really frustrating to get killed while building a new base and not having a bed to respawn.

* Do you want to tame a dino? Try to only carry the supplies you'll need to tame that dino - those supplies might include foundations and walls to build a taming pen, and they might include a couple of good weapons so that you can defend yourself if anything goes wrong. But don't carry all of your good stuff at one time.

* Do you want to build a taming pen in an area that you plan to do some taming in the future? Just carry the supplies you need to build the taming pen, that way if something goes wrong you won't lose a bunch of valuable stuff.

* Make sure you have extras. If you know that you always need a pick, an axe, a pike and a rifle, make sure you have extras inside your base in case you can't get back to your body to recover you supplies.

* This includes animals. If you tame one pteranodon, for example, make sure you tame two more before you start flying around the map. If you get killed while you're far away from your base, but your animal is still alive,  you want to be sure that you can go back and rescue the animal.

I've been playing for years, have played on multiple servers (PvP, PvE, Primitive Plus, private servers, you name it) and I still die. Two days ago I was flying across a map and accidentally dismounted from my bird, and of course that's the one time I forgot to bring parachutes. So I had to spawn back at base, get another bird, put on new equipment (and parachutes) and fly out to rescue my gear from my dead body.

You're doing to die, often, just make sure you plan for it.

2) Practice taming, a lot, also use Dododex and the ARK Wiki to learn about animals before you try to tame them.

* Start with the easy species, dodos and parasaurs, then work on slightly harder ones like dilophosaurs. Tame multiple of each animal so that you get used to the taming process. Then look for animals that have different or unusual taming mechanics (like the Pegomastax).

* Get into the habit of using a Taming Calculator (Dododex is the most popular) for all of your taming. If you tame three different dodos, Level 20, Level 50 and Level 100, they are all a little bit different. Use a taming calculator so that you know what to expect.

* When you see a new species that you want to tame, don't wait until you find the "best animal", start by taming low level animals so you can see how easy or hard each animal is. You do not want to try to tame a Level 150 for your first tame of a new species, you want to be sure that you understand that species so that when you tame the really good ones you can do it without problems.

3) Start off by playing the game on standard settings. Don't do anything to change the amount of XP you get, or harvesting from resource nodes, or taming times, until you have a good feel for the game. At some point you're going to want to make changes to the game to match your personal preferences and play style, but if you make changes too soon then you won't really understand how the game works and you might make it too easy for yourself. The idea is to have the amount of challenge that you like so that the game stays interesting.

4) If you are the kind of person who likes using mods with your games, don't get them too soon. You really want to get a feel for the game before you start adding mods. And when the time comes that you do add them, only add one at a time, get used to it, learn it, and then if you still want to add more mods go ahead and add them one at a time.

Also, keep in mind that the Official servers do not allow any mods, so if you start using mods on your solo game then you're going to get a shock when you go to the Official servers. This is not necessarily a bad thing, you just need to keep it in mind in case you ever want to try an Official server.

That should be plenty of "newbie" information for now. Start playing, start practicing, start learning, there will be a lot of things to learn in the future once you get used to the basic concepts of game play.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Pipinghot said:

1) You're going to die. Often. This is true until you really start to learn the game and get used to all of the different ways the game can surprise you and kill you. Therefore, make sure you play the game knowing that you're going to die. Don't carry a lot of valuable stuff on you all the time, only carry what you need for the task you are working on.

This is such great advice, and one that I even with over 4000 hours played sometimes forget to do.  If I am going to do a boss battle, I don't need to bring any taming supplies or tranq darts. If I'm going to go on a wyvern egg run, I really don't need anything but good armor and gas mask (if in a poison wyvern area)  no need to risk losing all the other stuff if I get killed.

Make sure to breed and store eggs, or keep back up dinos at your base. That way if you die, you can respawn and jump on another dino to get back to collect your body bag loot and first dino.

• Like 1