Pawlybeans

What's with the raptors?

What's with the raptors?

I just got Ark for PS4, and every time I start making progress on The Island, the entire south beach area gets swarmed by raptors and alpha raptors.

I can't really... survive in this survival game with this happening costantly to where I can become equipped to deal with them. I don't want to have to nerf my game settings to make everything easy just so I can get to the point I can make structures and tame animals that can survive a raptor attacks.

Any advice for avoiding these goobers early-game?

Posted (edited)

I'm on PC but I assume it's the same game. 

My advice get pteranodons and keeping them on follow "high" (get them off medium or they do stupid circles).  Once you get a good pile up of narc berries and meat find a Dimorphodon ALONE NO OTHER DIMS AROUND and catch it.  Replace your pter guardians with dims over time.  You do not have to have high level pters.  You can use low levels and trade them out for higher levels as you grow and establish.  But dims are useful as body guards in large groups even at low levels.  

If pters and dims are no where around then just grab whatever.  Anklo is easy to catch cause insanely slow.  It will make short work of a raptor.  Keep it on follow.

No doeds or anklos around then grab a stego.  They can be to slow to save you tho but they make great tanks if they get there in time.

Make sure your pets are on follow to you or another pet.  The leader to a follow chain should be "passive" so it does not run off and anchors the other pets.  The other pets set to "attack my target."

Good luck!

Edited by Jemcrystal

Sorry I abandoned this post. >.>
Looks like there was just a random... 1/1000 chance that it spawned way too many raptors on my server that one time.
I started another one, and it didn't happen. So weird.
Like, I kid you not, there were probably 20 raptors within the first 20 minutes.

Couldn't tame anything because I couldn't survive long enough to even learn any engrams to get tools.

Now I know a little more, I could probably have used admin commands, but it doesn't seem to be any kind of problem anymore.