Honestly having fun on Switch ARK

TheDonn

Honestly having fun on Switch ARK

Played about 8000 hours on PC ARK.  Bought Switch ARK on a whim, surprised to be having a lot of fun on it.

The graphics aren't great, and the load-times are pretty bad.  No DLCs isn't so great either, but...  It is fun.  I'm enjoying it, using the old kibble tree so I feel like I have things to do, and being limited to the Island makes a big difference in taming and farming materials.  After a while of playing it on my big-screen, I don't notice the graphics quality anymore...  though the bloom is a BIIIIT much!  It's just ARK.

I gotta say:  Switch ARK deserves some of the crap it gets.  But it is the ARK experience, no freakin doubt about it.  I like it.  :)

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/11/2019 at 7:34 PM, TheDonn said:

it is the ARK experience

No kidding it most definitely is that! Personally I'm still loving it after 100+ hours on Switch (and 250+ hours since getting it again with all DLCs on PeeCee) and I still come back to it for the simple pleasure of a hard-core mode (i.e. vanilla, no S+ or mods). I've learned loads by playing it on PC and have fun attempting to do it again on Switch which is a huge challenge. ARK on Switch is so much more difficult than PC. I don't mind the low-res graphics because the framerate is fine and runs smoother and better than on some peoples PCs, in the spirit of Nintendo it is more about the game-play and Ark on Switch does that very well. If people don't obsess about the niggly bits there's a lot of game in there to get on and enjoy!

4 hours ago, Kitalon said:

No kidding it most definitely is that! Personally I'm still loving it after 100+ hours on Switch (and 250+ hours since getting it again with all DLCs on PeeCee) and I still come back to it for the simple pleasure of a hard-core mode (i.e. vanilla, no S+ or mods). I've learned loads by playing it on PC and have fun attempting to do it again on Switch which is a huge challenge. ARK on Switch is so much more difficult than PC. I don't mind the low-res graphics because the framerate is fine and runs smoother and better than on some peoples PCs, in the spirit of Nintendo it is more about the game-play and Ark on Switch does that very well. If people don't obsess about the niggly bits there's a lot of game in there to get on and enjoy!

Yeah.  It really is a more hard-mode ARK experience.  There aren't Dung Beetles and Ovis roaming surface areas, and using the older kibble tree brings challenges of its own.  It's great really, even for just PvE.  It makes it challenging, but in a decently rewarding way.

I just tamed up some Stegos with crops and have ~350 melee and 5.3K HP.  Considering breeding up an army of em and taking on Gamma Broodmother (if I can get a good saddle BP, they will do just fine with ~15K HP and rest melee).  I've seen a 130 Wild Rex, but 'm not set up with no available mutton or scorpions.  I did just get a pair of average-stat Argies (135 and 140 pretame), so I could breed up a decent Argy once imprinted, and go hunt out a few scorps for some kibble for Rexes.

I croptamed a level 65 Therizino that I found...  That was tough even with 2x.  Recently I croptamed a 125 Beaver, that was honestly worse than the friggin Theri.  The focus is just different in this slightly different version of ARK, especially in PvE.  Progression isn't just:  1, Go to Rag, 2, Tame many low level Yutys, 3, Extraordinary kibble tames everything.  Still enjoying it.  :)

• 3 weeks later...

You know what, I've founded a large tribe, built a large HQ and outposts in all the other ARKs (DLC), I'm flying around on drakes and wyverns and have beaten The Island bosses on PC but I'm bored of it now. It was no challenge (with mods, hand-outs and a little help from friends) and I got no real sense of achievement. But ARK on Switch (I'll play that till gone midnight) still struggling to just survive a walk along the beach but am still really enjoying it. In fact in many ways I prefer the vanilla hard-core experience on Switch than on PC as I find it more satisfying achieving even some of the basic things and knowing that there is so much more to unlock, tame, etc. 

Archived