Kiting Wild quetzals... with eggs?

IvyOfARK

20190316004252_1.thumb.jpg.ce5238da38a1490a116650a59066194f.jpgI've tamed Quetzals a lot of different ways now... by far the easiest... go to a mountainous area, such as around the redwoods or snowy areas, on Ragnarok. Locate a Quetzal that is flying in the direction of the incline. Place a Tapejara or other flyer over it, preventing it from climbing with the hill. Then as the ground comes up underneath the Quetzal, drop stone gateways around its neck. Then once its flying against the gateway, box it in with other gateways. 

20190316003841_1.thumb.jpg.6938dca6efdd3f05eb9179d41e9873d9.jpg20190316004051_1.thumb.jpg.551230d905fb841f050690fc76999a80.jpg

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, Jacira said:

That's a very situational strategy and while probably the easiest in that specific case, does not apply to the broader question of what's generally the easiest way.

Someone earlier suggested Pheramone darts, do they work on Quetz?

I would agree with somewhat situational, but not as situational as you might expect. On Ragnarok there are always Quetzals flying around the mountain areas. In fact, its very common to find them already trapped by trees, cliffs, hills, and large rocks. Like I said, I've tamed a lot of Quetzals, including mid-air traps. You might have missed this... I actually caused the Queztal in those images to fly low to the ground simply by blocking its ability to climb with the hill. It wasn't difficult, I just had to keep the Tapejara flying over it for a few minutes before it turned toward the hill.

Regardless, the easiest way to trap them is a stone gateway placed in their flight path. Second is the mid-air Quetzal trap. The advantage of these is far easier solo tame.

Thanks to their terrible hit box, shooting them is far more difficult & expensive than any of the traps, and takes the longest. Easiest shooting method is to use biotoxin shocking darts, with multiple people working together. You can take your chances with where they fall, or drop them onto a foundation on the back of another Quetzal (tricky unless they are already stuck flying against something).

Various ways - easiest is chasing down and shooting from the saddle of a Griffin.

Once you have a Quetz you can use that to make a box trap to easily trap and tame others mid-air.

Not easy but as others have mentioned you can use a Tapejara riding the back seat and using "Go Here" whistle command.

Even less easy you can use grapple hook to hook yourself to your own Argentavis - same technique, whistle commands.

It's also possible to use a Wyvern - but it will only "hover" if high enough above land or above water - otherwise it tries to land when you dismount to shoot.

As per my first attempt you can try and get it stuck on rocks/cliffs or gate it in if it's low enough to ground - but very dependent on the right location.

17 hours ago, DeHammer said:

20190316004252_1.thumb.jpg.ce5238da38a1490a116650a59066194f.jpgI've tamed Quetzals a lot of different ways now... by far the easiest... go to a mountainous area, such as around the redwoods or snowy areas, on Ragnarok. Locate a Quetzal that is flying in the direction of the incline. Place a Tapejara or other flyer over it, preventing it from climbing with the hill. Then as the ground comes up underneath the Quetzal, drop stone gateways around its neck. Then once its flying against the gateway, box it in with other gateways. 

20190316003841_1.thumb.jpg.6938dca6efdd3f05eb9179d41e9873d9.jpg20190316004051_1.thumb.jpg.551230d905fb841f050690fc76999a80.jpg

This is how I tame 90% of my Quetzs, helps you protect them, and control them from falling into the water.

55 minutes ago, MirageUK said:

Various ways - easiest is chasing down and shooting from the saddle of a Griffin.

That's the easiest solo shooting method. Not the easiest method over all, and not the easiest shooting method. Easiest shooting method is multiple people shooting from a Quetzal platform. 

Shooting moving wild Quetzals is difficult as they have terrible hit recognition. 90% of the time that it looks like you hit them, you haven't. Since their torpor drops quickly, it makes for a lousy way to get a Quetzal.

If you have access to a Quetzal already, it's far easier not to worry about 'kiting' a Quetzal and just bring the trap to them. The main thing to be aware of is that the trap only becomes solid once you dismount the Quetzal you're riding. So no need to build the trap with an entrance or exit. Just build a suitable cage and maneauver your Quetzal trap so that the wild Quetzal is inside it, then dismount quickly. Trapped!

The Queztal pictured below was a lvl 180 Tek Queztal I mid-air tamed over Viking Bay. Probbaly the most exciting Quetzal tame I've done. 

Q-Trap.jpg

On 8/13/2019 at 2:51 PM, RipRavage said:

I used to use a cage quetzal to hold wild ones for a while, but it is annoying when they slide off randomly since you can’t reliably put platform creatures on other platform creatures.

I've used the cage method on dozens upon dozens of quetzals for my breeding projects and have not had it fail a single time provided you do not remount the capturing quetzal after it has been caught and do not unload the cell

1 hour ago, Kaprosuchus said:

I've used the cage method on dozens upon dozens of quetzals for my breeding projects and have not had it fail a single time provided you do not remount the capturing quetzal after it has been caught and do not unload the cell

Yea, excellent point. Also, on my Quetzal trap builds I found that the platform tends to lean forward when mid-air taming, so I use walls & door frames between the cage and the driving position. The unconscious Quetzals tend to slide forward against the walls. In the image below you can see the slight lean forward as well as the fact that the walls do indeed block the Quetzal's unconscious body from falling out. 

Quetz_trap.jpg

1 hour ago, d1nk said:

If I were to solo tame a quetz again in 2k19 ARK..I would use snow owl method and gate it. Same as the method @DeHammer uses but with an owl to make it even easier

That's a very interesting idea. It makes me wonder if a person couldn't also use a Snow Owl combined with a Quetzal platform/trap in some interesting ways. Since the Tek Quetzals damage kind of easily, it might also be useful during the KO process as well, if someone wanted to heal damage or reset the tame. I might have to experiment with that idea some. 

44 minutes ago, DeHammer said:

That's a very interesting idea. It makes me wonder if a person couldn't also use a Snow Owl combined with a Quetzal platform/trap in some interesting ways. Since the Tek Quetzals damage kind of easily, it might also be useful during the KO process as well, if someone wanted to heal damage or reset the tame. I might have to experiment with that idea some. 

Oh yeah it can be used in conjunction with a high dmg xbow with tranqs if you wanted but the idea behind it (besides healing) is if you freezebomb a wild flying quetz it drops to the ground and you quickly gate it

39 minutes ago, d1nk said:

Oh yeah it can be used in conjunction with a high dmg xbow with tranqs if you wanted but the idea behind it (besides healing) is if you freezebomb a wild flying quetz it drops to the ground and you quickly gate it

Sadly, it is easier said than done, and the new Owl nerf they are talking about (delay of over 2 seconds) might make it even trickier than now.  Currently if you freeze a Quetz to high up, by the time you get to the ground, the Quetz is almost always ready to take off again. so your timing has to be perfect!

On 8/14/2019 at 4:59 PM, DeHammer said:

This method looks amazing- nice job! 

My only issues with is is that I've done "demos" of it in creative mode, and every time, without fail, the quetz flies right up out of the trap once spooked. It's so hard to get those gates lined up right, so serious props to you. 

I've never attempted a mobile taming platform, but I DO have a "taming quetzal" ready to go. I'm actually kinda proud of the setup, even if it's probably not the best. 

https://gamerdvr.com/gamer/dragonhop417/screenshot/12545074

https://gamerdvr.com/gamer/dragonhop417/screenshot/12545084

I have a ballista set up to down quetzals with chain bolas when they come close enough, plenty of room to fire with a longneck, and even a "Ti Fighter"- if the targeted quetz starts booking it faster than my quetz can keep up, than I persue on the griffin instead. 

I haven't tried it out, though, and It may never see use due to me having multiple quetz to mate already, but it's still fun to have a battleship sitting around. 

• 3 months later...

I have tamed only two Quetzals, so I am far from an expert, but I tamed both of those solo, and I did it the first try on each.  Both were on Valguero, so I didn't have the option of using a Griffin.  However, here is my two-cents worth.

I would have to concur with those that stated that the Rare Flower trick won't work on Quetzals.  I believe this has been fairly thoroughly documented as not working.  It will, however, work like a charm on a Tapejara, which you can then use to chase down and tranq a Quetzal even solo.

As to the egg question, I don't think it is correct that the Quetzal wouldn't react because it wasn't the target Quetzal's egg.  Most creatures will react to anyone in range picking up an egg dropped by one of their own species in the wild.  I would, however, more expect that the Quetzal will not react because, when you drop it, it will be tagged as dropped by you, not another Quetzal, and the fact that it is a domestic egg, not a wild egg.  I would think that one or both of those factors may come into play, and it wouldn't work.

As to the methods I used, I used the Tapejara method on the first one, and then used a structure on a platform saddle on that one to tame the second one.

The solo Tapejara method works great.  You get in the forward facing passenger seat and use the whistle commands, "Attack this target" (the period key on PC), "Passive" (the semicolon key on PC), and "Move to" (the comma key on PC) as appropriate to keep in range of the target.  The hardest parts are getting airborne and making sure the target doesn't fall where it will be killed once it is unconscious.  To get airborne, you have to land close enough to your target Quetzal to dismount, get in the correct passenger seat, and whistle "Attack this target" before the target gets out of range.  Once airborne, you simply use "Attack this target" to close in, "Passive" to keep it from actually attacking the target once you are in range, and "Move to" to keep up and/or steer for better positioning.  If you have not used "Move to," simply look the direction you want to move and press the comma key.  A marker will appear in the distance the direction you are looking and your mount will fly towards the marker.   Doing so allows you to change altitude and angle to get better shots.  Once you get near the marker, use another "Move to" to keep going or "Attack this target" if it starts getting away.

For this one, I was fortunate enough for the Quetzal to fall onto a narrow cliff jutting off of a mountain, so there was only one way up to us.  I didn't even really have to place any structures to protect us because only one critter, a raptor, got anywhere near us right after I landed, and he paid the price for trying without getting near the Quetzal.

As mentioned, once I had the first, I built a structure on its platform saddle to get the second.  The structure was very similar to DeHammer's; although I used metal instead of stone, pillars instead of walls for the tall vertical parts, and my foundations were sunk into the platform a bit.  However, the basic design was otherwise very similar.  I also trapped mine parallel to my mount rather than perpendicular to it.  While you are moving, the structure is not solid as far as the target is concerned, so I simply flew in under and slightly ahead of the target, gained altitude and slowed until it was inside the cage, then I stopped and dismounted, trapping it.

Mine had some one-high walls in the corners, but those were more to keep me from falling than to prevent the quetzal from sliding out; although, they may have helped that as well for the reasons DeHammer explains.  Overall, it was ridiculously easy.

I would definitely use a good longneck rifle with Tranq darts or, even better, Shocking Tranq Darts.  You will do more torpor and less damage per hit than with a comparable crossbow and tranq arrows.

On 8/11/2019 at 9:08 AM, Kaprosuchus said:

dropping on top of a quetzal with a snow owl and freezing it will knock it earthward.

if you get a flyer that does low damage and snap at it occasionally, it will eventually make it's way to 0,0

you can build a trap on your existing quetzal's back to capture the new quetzal and tame it in midair.

You mean 50/50 of the map.

Archived