Kiting Wild quetzals... with eggs?

IvyOfARK

Given that the Quetzal is a skittish creature unaffected by rare flowers, it really seems like they're impossible to kite anywhere... but then I read a blip on the wiki. 

According to the wiki, a wild quetzal- like all dinos -will turn aggressive when a Quetzal egg is picked up in their vicinity. Would it be possible to kite a wild quetz if I approached one on my own Quetzal's platform saddle, dropped a Quetzal egg from my inventory, than picked it back up to aggravate it? 

I'm not sure if it would work with an egg laid by a tame quetzal, but I might give it a try tomorrow and see if it works. I tried searching all over for any mention of a method like this, but I couldn't find anything, so I guess I'm the first to try and actually mention it.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, IvyOfARK said:

Given that the Quetzal is a skittish creature unaffected by rare flowers, it really seems like they're impossible to kite anywhere... but then I read a blip on the wiki. 

According to the wiki, a wild quetzal- like all dinos -will turn aggressive when a Quetzal egg is picked up in their vicinity. Would it be possible to kite a wild quetz if I approached one on my own Quetzal's platform saddle, dropped a Quetzal egg from my inventory, than picked it back up to aggravate it? 

I'm not sure if it would work with an egg laid by a tame quetzal, but I might give it a try tomorrow and see if it works. I tried searching all over for any mention of a method like this, but I couldn't find anything, so I guess I'm the first to try and actually mention it.

I don't think it will agro it, but you could try, you might try testing it with something like a trike or something first (if a trike won't agro you for it chances are a Q wont, they dont even agro flowers)

No, this will not work. To aggro a wild dino by using eggs, the egg itself must be dropped by the wild dino. It will not recognise an egg from a player's inventory as it's own.

If you are wanting to kite the Quetzel, I would recommend consuming rare flowers. However this will only work for a short time, and once it expires the Quetzal may go into flee mode. You can keep consuming more in order for it to keep following you, but it is a bit finicky.

2 hours ago, OyFishFishFish said:

Or just test it in single player in admin mode ?

I like testing it on the fly! What's the fun in safety? :P

1 hour ago, Jacira said:

No, this will not work. To aggro a wild dino by using eggs, the egg itself must be dropped by the wild dino. It will not recognise an egg from a player's inventory as it's own.

If you are wanting to kite the Quetzel, I would recommend consuming rare flowers. However this will only work for a short time, and once it expires the Quetzal may go into flee mode. You can keep consuming more in order for it to keep following you, but it is a bit finicky.

Thank you- though, every other source says that rare flowers don't work... I'll still give it a shot, though. 

1 hour ago, Darkholis said:

Flowers or pachyrhinos works well to aggravate them.

I never even thought of a pachy. Thank you so much! I'll definitely be trying that too. 

6 minutes ago, IvyOfARK said:

I like testing it on the fly! What's the fun in safety? :P

Thank you- though, every other source says that rare flowers don't work... I'll still give it a shot, though. 

I never even thought of a pachy. Thank you so much! I'll definitely be trying that too. 

I would say every other source is more credible than myself haha. However best of luck ?

1 hour ago, Kaprosuchus said:

dropping on top of a quetzal with a snow owl and freezing it will knock it earthward.

if you get a flyer that does low damage and snap at it occasionally, it will eventually make it's way to 0,0

you can build a trap on your existing quetzal's back to capture the new quetzal and tame it in midair.

I think you mean 50/50, the centre of the map. As 0/0 would be the top left corner of the map.

On 8/11/2019 at 10:54 AM, RipRavage said:

I don’t know what map you are on, but if you have access to a griffin you can just shoot the quetzal from the griffins back while you are flying.  Griffins are the only flying mount with the ability to shoot off them while driving.

I tame Quetzels by riding on the platform of a tamed Quetz.   But to get the first Quetz I normally use a Griffin.  

FLowers do NOT work on Quetz.

4 hours ago, Aushegun said:

I tame Quetzels by riding on the platform of a tamed Quetz.   But to get the first Quetz I normally use a Griffin.  

FLowers do NOT work on Quetz.

I used to use a cage quetzal to hold wild ones for a while, but it is annoying when they slide off randomly since you can’t reliably put platform creatures on other platform creatures.

2 hours ago, RipRavage said:

I used to use a cage quetzal to hold wild ones for a while, but it is annoying when they slide off randomly since you can’t reliably put platform creatures on other platform creatures.

I should clarify. I tame other Quetzs by riding the paltform saddle of my Quetz and follow the Quetz around shooting it.  I do NOT use a trap on the Quetz.

I find shooting from a Quetz is easier than a Griffin.

19 hours ago, StormLord said:

Lucky By Nature just put out a video showing the honey kite still working.

I saw that! Makes me wonder if I can set honey on a quetz saddle and lead a wild quetzal into a trap like that... it would probably be easier to lead the wild one to the ground with honey and lock it in with gates, but still.

Okay, okay, New and possibly VERY STUPID idea: 

What if I grappled to a wild quetzal and hit it with tranqs as it dragged me along? And, in case of falling, I could have a parachute ready. 

But, considering that this isn't a wildly popular method, I have a feeling there's something that makes it impossible even if it sounds foolproof to me 

2 minutes ago, IvyOfARK said:

Okay, okay, New and possibly VERY STUPID idea: 

What if I grappled to a wild quetzal and hit it with tranqs as it dragged me along? And, in case of falling, I could have a parachute ready. 

But, considering that this isn't a wildly popular method, I have a feeling there's something that makes it impossible even if it sounds foolproof to me 

Well in pve I try ed this method on official and as my arrow hit the quetzal the grapple releases ?

2 minutes ago, Lycan187u said:

Well in pve I try ed this method on official and as my arrow hit the quetzal the grapple releases ?

Hmm... maybe you need to use darts? I know that if you grapple onto an enemy tame, you can pelt it all you want with bullets and won't fall. I'll test it out in creative and see what happens 

17 minutes ago, IvyOfARK said:

Hmm... maybe you need to use darts? I know that if you grapple onto an enemy tame, you can pelt it all you want with bullets and won't fall. I'll test it out in creative and see what happens 

Just tried it, it did the same with darts. So it looks like you can't stay grappled into something if torpor is applied. 

Curse you, Wildcard 

On 8/10/2019 at 7:02 PM, Jacira said:

Nope. Quetzals aren't affected by rare flowers. 

Archived