Genesis concerns - Looking for dev response pls

Harvyst

My son, my hubby, and I were chatting about getting Genesis. We are a bit conflicted about getting the new DLC and here's why...

We really want to check out the new stuff, but the hubby and I are fairly new to the game. We're around lvl 90 but we've only really played on extinction. We aren't even strong enough to do the bosses on our own yet. We have quite a few dinos on that map, that we worked really hard to get, and we aren't quite sure how to handle the new expansion with them. We tried out Valguero and used the terminals to take our characters over. One of us ended up having to leave a character on Extinction so we could feed the dinos we didn't have in cryo yet and make sure nothing decayed while we were gone. It was a real pain and not fun to leave stuff/people behind, especially when you only have a couple of people playing with you. I know that eventually the map will open up to let us transfer our items there, but someone has to log in and make sure nothing decays before that happens and that person misses out on playing their current character in the new map.

Will Genesis be different? Maybe we can take our cryos with us but won't be able to open them until that point? Or do we have to leave everything behind and wait again? We don't want to wait to play Genesis because by then the maps will be full of columns and we won't be able to build anywhere, but we also don't want to leave someone behind again. We aren't fond of constantly making new characters after we've worked so hard for so many hours on our current characters, just to experience a new map. Will there be a way around this, other than making a new character? Or, will Genesis require making a new character anyway because the arm piece is gone now? Will the decay process be delayed for a while maybe? We are hoping there will be a solution this this, but I doubt very much that we will pre-purchase Genesis until we figure this out. I'd really like to get HLN-A but.....

Would love to hear from a Dev on this if possible. :) Thanks!!

On 8/10/2019 at 6:34 AM, Harvyst said:

My son, my hubby, and I were chatting about getting Genesis. We are a bit conflicted about getting the new DLC and here's why...

We really want to check out the new stuff, but the hubby and I are fairly new to the game. We're around lvl 90 but we've only really played on extinction. We aren't even strong enough to do the bosses on our own yet. We have quite a few dinos on that map, that we worked really hard to get, and we aren't quite sure how to handle the new expansion with them. We tried out Valguero and used the terminals to take our characters over. One of us ended up having to leave a character on Extinction so we could feed the dinos we didn't have in cryo yet and make sure nothing decayed while we were gone. It was a real pain and not fun to leave stuff/people behind, especially when you only have a couple of people playing with you. I know that eventually the map will open up to let us transfer our items there, but someone has to log in and make sure nothing decays before that happens and that person misses out on playing their current character in the new map.

Will Genesis be different? Maybe we can take our cryos with us but won't be able to open them until that point? Or do we have to leave everything behind and wait again? We don't want to wait to play Genesis because by then the maps will be full of columns and we won't be able to build anywhere, but we also don't want to leave someone behind again. We aren't fond of constantly making new characters after we've worked so hard for so many hours on our current characters, just to experience a new map. Will there be a way around this, other than making a new character? Or, will Genesis require making a new character anyway because the arm piece is gone now? Will the decay process be delayed for a while maybe? We are hoping there will be a solution this this, but I doubt very much that we will pre-purchase Genesis until we figure this out. I'd really like to get HLN-A but.....

Would love to hear from a Dev on this if possible. :) Thanks!!

Just make new character and leave old one back to take care of dinos etc. You are not limited to one character on account. I have 7 characters on 5 different servers taking care of dinos on them.

9 hours ago, Luewen said:

Just make new character and leave old one back to take care of dinos etc. You are not limited to one character on account. I have 7 characters on 5 different servers taking care of dinos on them.

This. On official, I generally have a crafting character and then a good handful of 100+ characters lying around on different servers. I play official PVP and losing characters to transfers or rollbacks is frustrating enough, that the rule of redundancy is a must. 

On 8/11/2019 at 4:11 AM, CyanicEmber said:

If you genuinely wish to enjoy the game together without the pressure of upkeep I would recommend getting your own server or hosting local multiplayer. It's just not viable on Officials to even experience, much less enjoy, all maps without an absolutely massive Tribe.

Unless your specifically talking about Official PVP then I would have to disagree. I mostly play solo and have big bases on every map (Island, Center, SE, Ragnarok, Aberration, Extinction) except Valguero (only a smallish base cause the map seems lacking in content for me on official) and have done almost every boss on alpha difficulty (except King Titan and Valguero Arena). The main thing is to have the Tek transmitter unlocked and then you're free to server hop as much as needed to do whatever you want. I literally play on different servers constantly and so far nothing important has decayed or starved its just a quick 20 mins every couple of days server hopping and resetting every bed then quick meat and berry run if needed.
On a side note I did recently merge with a friend on Aberration and on Ragnarok and another friend on Ab and Extinction but all have our own bases and maintain our own stuff, Just merged to reset stuff while they took holidays etc so they didnt lose their stuff.

Archived