Jump to content

Poppet

PVE Declaration of War Banditry

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

PVE Declaration of War Banditry

Hey Wildcard- pretty big problem here:

A friend on PVE Rag 382 just lost years of collected, tamed and traded dinos. Because of this exploit.

His off the cuff estimate is over 100 giga of all colors, cryofridge of tuso and Mossy again all event colors and bloodlines...griffins, event wyvern, phoenix...over 2k dinos.

How?

He went out to see who was triggering the parasaur 'enemy' warning and found a '123' guy on a wyvern scoping his dinos. The guy asked if he would trade for one of his phoenix, he- being a trader, of course agreed, The guy asked to ally so he could drop a sleeping bag to go get the items agreed upon. Yiu admitted him to his trade alliance....and then he crashed moments after (not sure if this was random chance or if this was another part of the exploit). As he was locked up and the game disconnecting...he saw the guy had declared war.

When he came back, three guys were there, the bottom of his base was blown up, cryo fridges all destroyed...and they were grabbing pods and took off. In moments thousands of hours of work gone.

Battlemetrics revealed 8 people were on. Only these 3 were unknown. The sleeping bag dropped revealed a name other than 123 and 'human'. He has the steam id of the guy as well...but other than '123' it shows the previous names the guy has used.

So a warning to all traders and otherwise- don't use the alliance option until this is dealt with. Wildcard I hope you guys see this and the huge issue this is. I also hope you find the guys that did this once his ticket is in and nuke them from orbit. Steam ban these sob.

By the way those with Battlemetrics this happened at 3:35 PM US Eastern. 

Edited by Poppet
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Not the first case, won't be the last until Wildcard does something about it.

 

I don't even understand why ppl would ruin all the hard work of someone...

 

They can't handlte pvp but grief pve as the best

Edited by mogrot
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

We also have PVE griefers on our ext server atm. A new  tribe who pulls corrupted gigas over every open teleporter, destroyed some bases and stole tons of stuff. 

I made videos and tons of pictures but the enforcement team just closed my ticket some days ago and didn't do anything, they are not wiped and still playing. 

They even pillered off their teleporter in the giga area they used to pull all those corrupted dinos and the teleporter still stands on a second tribes name they used to build it. They don't have any fear of anything happening to them that they even pillared that tele with their main tribe and no one cares...

Not much you can do about such things other than switching servers, not accepting any alliances and pillaring very well around your own base.

Edited by Fukushu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is no issue. It’s your friends fault for not knowing enough about the alliance system and tribe wars. You can’t claim ignorance as a bug.

If your friend was a trader and had not allied with someone before when trading, why did they suddenly believe it was necessary this time?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, SaltyMonkey said:

There is no issue. It’s your friends fault for not knowing enough about the alliance system and tribe wars. You can’t claim ignorance as a bug.

If your friend was a trader and had not allied with someone before when trading, why did they suddenly believe it was necessary this time?

I've done trading before, with some of the biggest traders in Ark. And there have been times when the trade was for a large amount of desired resources. Since there is a transfer limit of 50 stacks of anything at one time, and weight being an issue, sometimes using an alliance as a means of trade is the only reasonable course of action. In such cases I've been invited to an alliance to ease the burden of trading. Many people have and have been honest in their dealings. This is a fairly common practice in trading although going forward it probably won't be.

You're right, it's not a bug. It's a horribly designed mechanic that can be exploited. And it's not ignorance about not knowing enough about the alliance system, it's being part of a community and how that community functions through a trade system that is also horribly designed. Instead of snarky comments perhaps show a little bit of freaking empathy for a person who just had thousands of hours wasted and potentially had an amazing game ruined for them.

edit: Poppet, if they're still playing send my sympathies. Sucks it happened to them when they've always been fair and nice traders.

Edited by Ocicat
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 4
  • Facepalm 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ocicat said:

I've done trading before, with some of the biggest traders in Ark. And there have been times when the trade was for a large amount of desired resources. Since there is a transfer limit of 50 stacks of anything at one time, and weight being an issue, sometimes using an alliance as a means of trade is the only reasonable course of action. In such cases I've been invited to an alliance to ease the burden of trading. Many people have and have been honest in their dealings. This is a fairly common practice in trading although going forward it probably won't be.

You're right, it's not a bug. It's a horribly designed mechanic that can be exploited. And it's not ignorance about not knowing enough about the alliance system, it's being part of a community and how that community functions through a trade system that is also horribly designed. Instead of snarky comments perhaps show a little bit of freaking empathy for a person who just had thousands of hours wasted and potentially had an amazing game ruined for them.

edit: Poppet, if they're still playing send my sympathies. Sucks it happened to them when they've always been fair and nice traders.

There is no need for alliances in PvE. So there goes your whole argument.

  • Facepalm 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, SaltyMonkey said:

There is no need for alliances in PvE. So there goes your whole argument.

I tend to disagree here. Alliances are needed on PvE, just as much as they are on PvP. For examples; to share lands with neighbors, to ally with other tribes for boss fights (yuty buff, daedon, etc.), alliance chat, etc.

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Facepalm 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SaltyMonkey said:

There is no issue. It’s your friends fault for not knowing enough about the alliance system and tribe wars. You can’t claim ignorance as a bug.

If your friend was a trader and had not allied with someone before when trading, why did they suddenly believe it was necessary this time?

Spoken like someone that either does little trading or who does not play PVE. When you are blackbagging metal, ele dust, hard poly, crystal, etc....which are the typical trades for dinos- the usual means is to jump servers from your home to the sellers server. That means you need a place to 'land' when you are so full you are unable to move. This has traditionally been handled by allying and dropping a sleeping bag by a seller's dedicated storage or vault first trip *which requires an alliance*, then coming over second trip with the mats.

I have thousands of hours playing and trading. This is the best means for it to be done. Let's not blame the girl in the short skirt, hey? Pretty sick of the inclination to blame the victim.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SaltyMonkey said:

There is no need for alliances in PvE. So there goes your whole argument.

Black and white, sure. There's no need for alliances in PvP or PvE but they have their uses.

Solo tribes doing boss fights for one. Being able to share the artifact, tribute, dino count, Yuty buff, Daeodon heal is extremely helpful.

It's not necessary by any means though I haven't really seen anybody who's legit done Rockwell or King Titan solo on official but I'm sure it's possible. 

So point of fact, sure alliances are unnecessary for any mode they just enhance end game content.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Poppet said:

He went out to see who was triggering the parasaur 'enemy' warning and found a '123' guy on a wyvern scoping his dinos. The guy asked if he would trade for one of his phoenix, he- being a trader, of course agreed

 

The guy asked to ally so he could drop a sleeping bag to go get the items agreed upon. Yiu admitted him to his trade alliance....and then he crashed moments after (not sure if this was random chance or if this was another part of the exploit). As he was locked up and the game disconnecting...he saw the guy had declared war.

1) Never trust anyone named "123", especially on PvE, that's a absolutely sure sign that they're a griefer.

2) Never use an alliance on PvE for something as casual as trading, it's just a bad idea. Alliances are dangerous, you should only use them for people you already know and trust.

  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Pipinghot said:

1) Never trust anyone named "123", especially on PvE, that's a absolutely sure sign that they're a griefer.

2) Never use an alliance on PvE for something as casual as trading, it's just a bad idea. Alliances are dangerous, you should only use them for people you already know and trust.

👏🏾👏🏾👏🏾

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Darkholis said:

I only play PvP so I don't know all the specific rulesets of PvE. However, wouldn't it be simpler to install a vault at a specific location with a pin only known by both sides of the trade?

If someone is coming in with like 40000 ingots or 20000 poly or something that will overweight you, it's easier to temp ally so they can spawn on a sleeping bag at your base and just dump it right in the vault. 

With only 50 slots in Ark data, those amounts (and deals can go for more) would take 4 trips and would require pick ups and transfers each time. 

Time is of course precious in Ark so the temp alliance system is more efficient though as we can see, has its risks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, SaltyMonkey said:

There is no need for alliances in PvE. So there goes your whole argument.

 

Idk why always Guys which not playing PVE or on Official Servers try to explain to us what we need and what not.

Since you Guys have no Clue for what ppl using Allys on Official PVE Servers why you write here ? 

  • Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gafgarion said:

 

Idk why always Guys which not playing PVE or on Official Servers try to explain to us what we need and what not.

Since you Guys have no Clue for what ppl using Allys on Official PVE Servers why you write here ? 

You say I have no clue yet I’m not the one that’s lost thousands of hours of game play.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Gafgarion said:

Still dont mean you know anything about Official PVE Servers.

I know enough not to put myself in stupid situations because I’m not arrogant. Ever heard of research? Imagine looking into a game to make sure your actions were safe from griefers.

I found out about tribe wars before the implementation of alliances back in the early days of early access. Unlike many players, I looked into the negative implications of the alliance mechanic when it was introduced. Such a shame that research is seen as a negative these days. 

People are too impatient to find all the facts, instead they assume too much. The were 2 red flags to OP’s story but people who think they know, clearly weren’t prepared for such an outcome - an outcome that could have been avoided.

Edited by SaltyMonkey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To prevent further unneccassary bickering as to the whose fault this is, I feel a few things need to be cleared up.

Firstly, over my time trading I have allied with many people whom I'd had no previous connections with, this was for the sole purpose of streamlining what is usually an arduous process in transferring bulk materials (as previously outlined in this post). The threat I faced once allied, and only threat, was the potential for the ally to structure grief my base by placing building blocks and breaking alliance, making me unable to build in my own base. However due to the easy reporting system and survivetheark's trader rating system, this was a low risk move. Ever since these forums massively nerfed our inboxes, almost all trading is now exclusively done through discords. As a result nefarious and dodgy trading practices have become more abundant, as accountability suffers while anonymity soars.

The key issue you have to remember here @SaltyMonkey is that these 123 traders were not using the alliance system as intended, and that it wasn't the alliance in and of itself that caused this trader to lose all their years of work. Thus in my opinion puts all of the onus on Wild Card to fix this "exploit" so that these "cheaters" cannot continue to operate like this.

It is also worth noting that this exploit was completely unknown to the PVE trading community until a month ago. Thus saving traders from ridicule over what would otherwise be their own ignorance of the risks faced when allying with random players.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Facepalm 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...