Somethings gotta give WildCard...

DocLoud

Somethings gotta give WildCard...

Ok where do I start, and how do I say this... I guess I’ll start by saying I’ve been a gamer most of my life, and I’m 38 years old knocking on 39. let me also start by saying that Ark is one of the best games I’ve ever played, only one game that even comes close to it, and that would be Star Wars Galaxies which was butchered by Sony many years ago... but it’s the only game that’s even comparable, atleast for me.

This post is not a rant, this post is basically just me, a customer trying to give my two cents on why I’m currently very disheartened by the developers of this game, because I see the same pattern I’ve seen so many times by game companies that create fantastic games.

Ark is a fantastic game forsure, the amount of content and depth is remarkable, but it is also a very demanding game, it demands your time like no other game I’ve ever played. I’m fine with that but I don’t think the developers realize or they choose to overlook the amount of time the players pump into this game. 

Ill give you an example of what I’m trying to get at... So the other night I’m flying my event red Lighting in extinction for the first time, my home is on Rag, so I wasent familiar with how this map worked at all, which I guess is my fault for not doing some research but either way it goes I’m flying around and accidentally fly out of the borders... well in about 5 seconds me and my dragon where dead, I got a brief warning and before I could even turn around we are both toast... now that dragon was a one of a kind, beautiful red lightning that took me many hours to raise and took even many more hours to find an egg high level and then event colors.., gone in 5 seconds... I mean atleast a warning of some type giving players time to turn back would have been reasonable.., most of us work hard, we don’t have countless hours to just throw away..,

That was just one small example of the type of things that happen in this game that leave the players feeling frustrated and even angry because it seems our time is not valued at all..,

My main base is in a cave, yesterday I was reading the forums and wildcard is now targeting caves saying they want to change the meta.., that’s great but what about all of us that built in caves, all of our hard work just gonna be undone because you want to change the meta? That’s unacceptable...

This game is very hardcore, us as players lose valuable stuff all the time to wild Dino’s, lag, other players, the elements, I mean the other day me and my friends spent hours trying to tame a gasbag... and right as we where about to put the kibble in it, an element node pops up and kills the thing... 

I could go on and on and I’m sure there’s millions of horror stories the players could give you just to make my point even more... 

I usually never post on forums, in fact the only other game I ever did this for was Star Wars Galaxies... I’m sure this post will do nothing but it’s my final plea to you WildCard before me and a bunch of my good friends quit playing this game.

This game doesn’t need more content, this game needs bug fixes and it needs to be more friendly to the amount of time us players put into it, I could say allot more but I would like some of you to add to this discussion and see your points of view and maybe remind the developers that we all have lives and whatever time we put into their games is valuable not to be takin so lightly, thank you for reading my post..

Yea if we were posting threads on content, actually asking questions.......and all of a sudden everybody starts spamming re: server outages, patch issues, unexplained crashes,, etc... then that would be unusual. The thing is this game has ALWAYS had issues.

At least before the game was released we knew to "deal with it" even though it was pretty tough. 

Meanwhile for me, Steam decided to reject the 200 gigabyte download sitting in steamapps and asked me to re-download, etc..., - before I get to actually log in to Ark and actually see what everybody else is yelling about. 

Well they havent actually said if / what they will do with caves. Just that something needs to be done (which is the truth) we can only hope changes arent applied to PVE.

As to the border thing.. its not WC's fault you didnt know the mechanics of the new map, sadly. I know when I first saw those red towers I didnt chance flying past them for that reason without even knowing about it. Red = bad / stop usually

I hear you man. I played Ark all the hours I could around work. Had a great base on the Centre, was well known on the server for helping folk out. I once lost a bunch of imprinted rexes due to a boss fight glitch and was given some bog standards back from WC in return with useless saddles. 

About 2 weeks ago, the server was lagging, and I mean REALLY badly. 5 seconds of action, 20 seconds pauses for most of the night. I logged on the next morning, podded all my dinos, filled the generators and logged off. 

I pop on every 3/4 days to make sure the generators are topped up, but have hit a brick wall with the game. 

Tell you what though, you forget how many other good games are out there to play..... 

1 hour ago, d1nk said:

Well they havent actually said if / what they will do with caves. Just that something needs to be done (which is the truth) we can only hope changes arent applied to PVE.

As to the border thing.. its not WC's fault you didnt know the mechanics of the new map, sadly. I know when I first saw those red towers I didnt chance flying past them for that reason without even knowing about it. Red = bad / stop usually

As I said, I should have done research it was just an example of how easy it is to lose tames and items in this game that we as players put allot of real life hours into the game just to lose things very fast. 

They just did a 28 hour rollback and I’m not even gonna list the amount of stuff my tribe just lost due to that smh...,,

I’ve lost a lot of tames to me making simple mistakes and I always kick myself after the fact, but the ones that really kill me are when I lose stuff to glitches in game like stuff falling through the map or tames vanishing upon download from an obelisk.  I lost my first color mutations to the Rex TLC patch which changed their color regions and wildcard did nothing to fix it (I still have the grey backed rexes in cryopods to prove it.  I lost 16 full bred and leveled rexes on scorched earth due to the game teleporting just my tames to the boss arena but not me.  The glitches in this game are absolutely sadistic and the devs are very lazy and have short attention spans.  To truly get the most out of this game without wasting your time I suggest you either A play single player and back up your saves frequently or B join a community server with active admins  that can help you anytime you get hit with a bad glitch.  Don’t think it will ever change, we have glitches that have been in the game since early access that still haven’t been fixed, like beacons floating into the ground so you can’t open them.

I feel like this game is a reflection of real life. Nothing's perfect, everything breaks down or dies on ya, and if you work too hard at it, you're going to stress yourself out. There's a saying out there in the world, and it says " Never underestimate the power of not giving a damn ". So true. So I don't worry about things that are out of my control. I can't control it. I don't worry about the things that are in my control, because I do something about it. And what did I do about it? I got my own server cluster, got a bunch of friends together, they got their friends together, and we did our peaceful protest where we say goodbye to the meh Official servers and having a ballin' time with a smile on Unofficial. We can even trade and go do boss runs. I even got to go several times with a party on foot with guns and ammo, lots of medical brews, just shoot our way through a cave for the fun of it. But if things go wrong, such as bugs and glitches, that's why Unofficial is great, can just recover your stuff from backup save files.

You can look at life from the ground, or you can get back up and fight for what you think is fair.

i am going to invent a percentage that sounds right and say 95% of the whining and complaining i see about this game has nothing to do with the actual game itself and has more to do with the official servers that people play for free for tens of thousands of hours.  not to say all problems are that way, but most of the problems i see people complaining about i cannot reproduce on my unofficial server and the ones i can reproduce i just change settings to work around it.

I know it is an unpopular opinion but i feel that things lack value if there is no chance of losing them.  Maybe you should try to find a good unofficial server where the admins try to work around the more common problems.  I hope you feel better.

• Volunteer Moderator
9 hours ago, DocLoud said:

this game needs bug fixes

What you are calling bugs are actually intended features. The extinction barrier, or the veins, for examples are not bugs but working as intended. This is a survival game so surviving must be a challenge and you must adapt to the environment and learn from past experiences.

9 hours ago, DocLoud said:

it needs to be more friendly to the amount of time us players put into it

This is exactly what they are doing. They are trying to balance the cave meta so that everyone gets a fair ground to PvP. You want to stay untouchable in your holes, while going out to raid and wipe everyone else and complain when the balancing is made so that you can also get raided. This sounds selfish to me.

2 hours ago, invincibleqc said:

What you are calling bugs are actually intended features.

I find this very ironic because I once posted a topic on here talking about how Karkinos can run both water caves without grabbing aggro from any dinos except for piranha and sea scorpions and yet after a long debate with a moderator I had the post buried in the bugs section so nobody could see it.  Low and behold well over a year later look what I can still do.

KRAB.thumb.jpg.8d318b11300013fdc80d80fbb396592e.jpg

Soooooooooooooooo...

Either this was an intended mechanic that was wrongfully buried oooor reporting bugs doesn't matter because the devs are extremely lazy and wont take literally a few minutes to change the aggro list coding on a single dino.  Aberration released in 2017.

• Volunteer Moderator
10 minutes ago, RipRavage said:

I find this very ironic because I once posted a topic on here talking about how Karkinos can run both water caves without grabbing aggro from any dinos except for piranha and sea scorpions and yet after a long debate with a moderator I had the post buried in the bugs section so nobody could see it.  Low and behold well over a year later look what I can still do.

KRAB.thumb.jpg.8d318b11300013fdc80d80fbb396592e.jpg

Soooooooooooooooo...

Either this was an intended mechanic that was wrongfully buried oooor reporting bugs doesn't matter because the devs are extremely lazy and wont take literally a few minutes to change the aggro list coding on a single dino.  Aberration released in 2017.

I honestly fail to understand the relation between what I said/what this thread is all about and your post and this really seem to be a poor attempt to hijack the thread with unrelated content. That being said, this is clearly an oversight and is more complex than you think it is. The Karkinos, along with the Rock Golem are suffering from this and this is because sea creatures are programmed to ignore land creatures and these two are programmed to ignore the water physics so the two mechanics are clashing resulting into them not being targeted unless they are being targeted first. File a Bug Report if you wish to report something, or create your own thread if you wish to discuss it but please let's get back to the main topic at hand.

19 hours ago, invincibleqc said:

What you are calling bugs are actually intended features. The extinction barrier, or the veins, for examples are not bugs but working as intended. This is a survival game so surviving must be a challenge and you must adapt to the environment and learn from past experiences.

This is exactly what they are doing. They are trying to balance the cave meta so that everyone gets a fair ground to PvP. You want to stay untouchable in your holes, while going out to raid and wipe everyone else and complain when the balancing is made so that you can also get raided. This sounds selfish to me.

Wow my post went completely over your head... not even gonna explain how either lol...

I have over 3,000 hours in Ark, im 31.

This game still has bugs that have been present since day 1.

Wildcard is not going to fix their bugs. A different game company needs to buy this game from them and make it fixable. 

I totally agree bugs need to be fixed. I know wildcard sees the stuff we post because they banned that one player that was showing all the bugs on YouTube that one time. Sorry for the the vague reference. 

My thing is that they see all these problems but never fix them. 

I don't think they will kick anyone out of a cave where people are already built up and in place.  There would simply be to many people upset over this.  They may be referring to the new dlc on the way.  They may just be considering where to put the invisible blocking and where not to.  

On that note a lot of people do want Ruins to be UnBlocked.  I do not think anyone wants the pretty castles and ruins to be blocked.  

Caves might be in debate atm for the next map release.

And sorry about your red dragon.  You got seriously Arked there.  I hit that border at full speed all the time on a Peleg or Pter never died or destroyed.  Really sorry man.

55 minutes ago, Jemcrystal said:

I don't think they will kick anyone out of a cave where people are already built up and in place.  There would simply be to many people upset over this.  They may be referring to the new dlc on the way.  They may just be considering where to put the invisible blocking and where not to.  

On that note a lot of people do want Ruins to be UnBlocked.  I do not think anyone wants the pretty castles and ruins to be blocked.  

Caves might be in debate atm for the next map release.

And sorry about your red dragon.  You got seriously Arked there.  I hit that border at full speed all the time on a Peleg or Pter never died or destroyed.  Really sorry man.

Extinction border isn't like the other maps. It's a kill zone,doesn't matter what you ride, cross that line you ain't returning... 

23 hours ago, invincibleqc said:

No one was calling your so called “intended mechanic” bugs. We are calling all the bulls**t glitches and rollbacks that the devs create through pushing out content in a rushed manner. We don’t need anymore content, we need the devs to address issues such as games falling through the ground at obelisks, games being killed by spawning items, and other bugs that just ruin the game experience. I get that WC is a small company and I can respect that but small companies should be more concerned about the player base than pumping out needless content. It’s a waste of our time and theirs.  You failed to see the main beg in this post. The few so called “intended mechanics” you pointed out were just examples to show how fast you can lose stuff based on misinformation. He just wants them to address what all the posts on these forums are actually about rather than pushing out content that will likely be unplayable for weeks due to bugs that aren’t play tested. 

On 8/10/2019 at 4:26 AM, DocLoud said:

Ill give you an example of what I’m trying to get at... So the other night I’m flying my event red Lighting in extinction for the first time, my home is on Rag, so I wasent familiar with how this map worked at all, which I guess is my fault for not doing some research but either way it goes I’m flying around and accidentally fly out of the borders... well in about 5 seconds me and my dragon where dead, I got a brief warning and before I could even turn around we are both toast... now that dragon was a one of a kind, beautiful red lightning that took me many hours to raise and took even many more hours to find an egg high level and then event colors.., gone in 5 seconds... I mean atleast a warning of some type giving players time to turn back would have been reasonable.., most of us work hard, we don’t have countless hours to just throw away..,

I'm guessing you flew out into a meteor shower? Or outside the borders of the map? I can sympathise with your points about dying to lag and other frustrating game limitations. However this example is 100% your fault, for a couple of reasons; One is that you (as you said yourself) did not do research on the map. The second is that you had a one of a kind event Wyvern and you did not even clone it before taking it out on a first-time EVER scouting adventure on a new map? That was simply an extremely risky move, and I would even question why you would use such a precious Wyvern in that situation?

My main base is in a cave, yesterday I was reading the forums and wildcard is now targeting caves saying they want to change the meta.., that’s great but what about all of us that built in caves, all of our hard work just gonna be undone because you want to change the meta? That’s unacceptable...

I'm sure they will not wipe your bases, rather they might make raiding them a bit easier for those that live outside of caves (as invincibleqc said)

This game is very hardcore, us as players lose valuable stuff all the time to wild Dino’s, lag, other players, the elements, I mean the other day me and my friends spent hours trying to tame a gasbag... and right as we where about to put the kibble in it, an element node pops up and kills the thing... 

And yet this is why Ark is such a unique game. No other game I have ever played has had such punishing and really hardcore elements coupled with so many other amazingly cute and almost childlike elements (such as breeding and raising baby otters, or taming your first trike or parasaur.)

If Ark only had these childlike elements and catered to a more comfortable environment where the risk of losing things isn't so great. I would have got bored and quit years ago. However if Ark only had these hardcore elements and none of the fluff, I would have gotten frustrated and given up on it years ago as well (like I did with Dark Souls/Bloodborne).

If you are struggling with the time spent vs lost in Ark, the only thing I can suggest to you is to identify which of the variables that have the potential to cause loss (outlined in your post) you have the power to do something about. Obviously lag is not one of them, but how smart you play Ark can protect you 90% of the time from the elements and wild dinos. Whereas if you struggle the most against other players, PVE is a viable option due to Ark's brutality that you will still be faced with lag, wild dino and elemental/environmental loss.

23 hours ago, Kaprosuchus said:

I know it is an unpopular opinion but i feel that things lack value if there is no chance of losing them. 

I'm not sure this opinion is as unpopular as you may think. I feel often people that would support this opinion, aren't even consciously aware of it's merit.

33 minutes ago, Jacira said:

I'm not sure this opinion is as unpopular as you may think. I feel often people that would support this opinion, aren't even consciously aware of it's merit.

on the forums it seems like it. in the general population? probably not. i imagine the vast unspeakable majority of people who play ark don't even have forum accounts.

• Volunteer Moderator
14 minutes ago, Kaprosuchus said:

on the forums it seems like it. in the general population? probably not. i imagine the vast unspeakable majority of people who play ark don't even have forum accounts.

You are correct. A tiny, tiny... tiny subset of the player base have a forum account. Much less active accounts. 

I just can't anymore. I can't make excuses for Wildcard anymore. Can't tell myself it will get better or they will fix it anymore. The fact is I payed for a working game... Not this.  I love Ark.. Well I use to love it. Played since beta.  I've heard it all for years now. "We are working on it" "the fixes are otw" blablabla. NO! No more excuses. No more whiteknighting Wildcard.  Fix it or bury it. 

59 minutes ago, NobodySpecialOG said:

I just can't anymore. I can't make excuses for Wildcard anymore. Can't tell myself it will get better or they will fix it anymore. The fact is I payed for a working game... Not this.  I love Ark.. Well I use to love it. Played since beta.  I've heard it all for years now. "We are working on it" "the fixes are otw" blablabla. NO! No more excuses. No more whiteknighting Wildcard.  Fix it or bury it. 

• if you can't you shouldn't
  • Nobody asked you to make excuses for them, that's your own denial at work.
  • If you bought it in beta then you paid a paltry amount for it at the time like the rest of us and have gotten 4 years of gameplay out of it, that is an amazin return on your investment.  It's your money, your responsibility to practice due diligence when spending it, purchasing unfinished games doesn't make you a shareholder.
  • White knighting is a buzzword designed to shutdown an opinion when you cannot actively refute an opinion of another and doesn't endear people to you.
  • I'm glad we have you here to throw down the gauntlet for us, "fix it or bury it" vote with your wallet.  We are getting another chance to determine the fate of the franchise soon enough, if you are that pissed don't buy genesis.  That's one way to impact production signifigantly, unless the majority disagrees with you.

On 8/9/2019 at 7:26 PM, DocLoud said:

This game doesn’t need more content, this game needs bug fixes

On 8/9/2019 at 9:27 PM, DocLoud said:

As I said, I should have done research it was just an example of how easy it is to lose tames and items in this game that we as players put allot of real life hours into the game just to lose things very fast. 

Preach. Now you imagine loosing a few hundred tames to a mesh on official servers, and wildcard shrugging shoulders? And then again, and again and again and again and still no hope of a patch. I think sometimes they forget just how many hours goes into the game

Archived