So... Where are the dinos ? (again ?)

DarkRaptor13

Hahaha, we sci-fi so hard in ARK, with all the dinosaurs we ride.

Understand, I never said it wasn't a sci-fi game, it's just that it is a dinosaur game set in a sci-fi background.  The dinosaurs make ARK ARK.  This is really inescapable, you are free to keep saying that it is a pure sci-fi game all you want, and facepalming, and all that crap in a desperate attempt to prove you are somehow right.  But the thing is, the dinosaurs are everything in ARK.'

EDIT:  But back on topic of the dinosaurs in this game, I think the creatures that Garuga and Shadlos have put in their packs would make a great addition.  Specifically the Archelon.  A few seem like they were made with common-use models, and look out of place.  One of those is the Dwarf Hippo, it just...  I dunno.  Doesn't fit.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/3/2019 at 5:19 PM, TheDonn said:

Hahaha, we sci-fi so hard in ARK, with all the dinosaurs we ride.

Understand, I never said it wasn't a sci-fi game, it's just that it is a dinosaur game set in a sci-fi background.  The dinosaurs make ARK ARK.  This is really inescapable, you are free to keep saying that it is a pure sci-fi game all you want, and facepalming, and all that crap in a desperate attempt to prove you are somehow right.  But the thing is, the dinosaurs are everything in ARK.'

EDIT:  But back on topic of the dinosaurs in this game, I think the creatures that Garuga and Shadlos have put in their packs would make a great addition.  Specifically the Archelon.  A few seem like they were made with common-use models, and look out of place.  One of those is the Dwarf Hippo, it just...  I dunno.  Doesn't fit.

To provide a bit more conversational material to work with that's hopefully much more approachable and less juvenile than certain others...you're definitely right. Fighting and taming dinosaurs and prehistoric creatures were the main selling point for the game, no contest there. A game can be both science fiction and have dinosaurs in it---that's what Jurassic Park is, after all! I think the dinosaurs were a good way to get people interested, so when they branched out and began doing their own thing, they could get weird and original, since people already have a familiar base to work with.

As much as I'm glad for the more TEK-filled, original creature route they're going, I definitely would love more prehistoric love, and I hope the Deinonychus isn't the last official dino to be added. I can see their reasoning as to not add anymore: having several types of raptors/theropods/etc. dilutes the identity of the "core" creatures, if that makes sense? But on the other hand...

Modders can prove that there can still be quite a bit of originality in dinosaurs! I like basically everything Garuga has put out (especially the new Acro and the Brachiosaur), and most of what Shadlos puts out. Not a fan of the constantly shocking lizard things modeled off of the Diplocaulus, for example.

• 3 months later...

3 month necro but w/e.

Speaking as someone who played for 600 or so hours during Early Access and very much enjoyed what was available at the time, it defininitely felt like the move to add Tek stuff (and whatever else that put more and more focus on the sci-fi aspect of the game) was a decision made to broaden the player demographic for increased sales, instead of staying true to the original design of the game. A good indicator of this is how long-standing issues that have been present since release, have been overlooked in favor of paid DLC'S - once companies like these get their feet wet all morals go out the window, it's nothing new and it happens in most industries.

Without having looked any of this up (please let me know if there were mentions of teleporting space whales in the game back during the EA phase), I still find it very hard to believe that Wildcard would have this grandiose plan for the future, without having any idea of how well the game would do during its inital release and up until now.

I personally believe Wildcard came to the conclusion that the strictly-prehistoric theme was gonna be too niche to expand on, and not offer large enough sales in their eyes.

• 2 weeks later...

Saying ark was never a dinosaur game is wrong, dinosaurs were it's main selling point for quite a while. But saying it never had anything else than dinosaurs would also be wrong, Obelisks and Implants were in the game from the beginning and the first trailer had the dragon at the end. And with the DLCs and their progression we have a lot more tek and sci fi elements, so one also should acknowledge that the game as a whole moved into a lot more futuristic setting in which the devs will only add more of the fantastical creatures they have been going with in the DLCs.

That being said, it's still wrong to say ark isn't a dino game or that it isn't a sci-fi game, the dinos still are the backbone of the game, whether it's the main game or the expansions (although they also get influenced by that, aberrant dinos, corrupted dinos and soon the genesis variants), but the sci fi is also a big part of the game nowadays and it's here to stay.

On 8/9/2019 at 9:16 AM, DarkRaptor13 said:

If we don't get an Archelon like the awesome one seen in one of the sponsored mods, I'm OUT of this game. I'll never buy Genisis if it's only creatures designed like this disgusting Turtle. 

Good, nobody wants you here. Go play The Isle if you want a dino simulator, this has always been a sci-fi game. 

If I may, I’d like to put in my 2 cents.

Honestly, both sides are correct here, albeit in different ways. ARK in the eyes of the developers was largely always sci-fi. Some of the earliest concepts made were of the ARKS themselves, with the idea that they would resemble gigantic Petri dishes floating in the sky. 
However, early on, there were few fantasy or sci-fi elements available, and the tribal aspect of the game was the main focus. It’s nobody’s fault that they percueved the game as largely a retro-dinosaur vs caveman type game, as that was what we were sold.

I’ll chalk it up to the devs having done a poor job at explaining their plans without spoiling the early versions of the story. Perhaps if fictional dinosaurs like Morellatops ans Velonasaur existed to begin with, it would be more clear that there was a sci-fi aspect. Even if they had to spoil some concepts of TEK early on, it wouldn’t spoil the story, because we wouldn’t know their lore/how to obtain them (until, of course, they actually added them)

2 more cents:

In regards to creature designs themselves, I’m kinda with the devs on why there aren’t any more dinosaurs. Towards the end of the dino-adding cycle in Early Access, the abilities they had became increasingly ridiculous and unreasonable. But if they stuck to abilities that weren’t fantastical, Yutyrannus would just be another Allo or Carno, Daeodon would be another Sabertooth, etc etc etc. 

However, I gotta say, some of the imaginary creatures are kinda godawful. And not in the ugly-cute way the Bulbdog or Gasbag were, but the turtle is just...ech. It doesn’t look suited to swimming, it’s belly shell doesn’t connect to the top, it’s got 6 cartoonish legs, and idfk what’s going on with its head. It doesn’t need to be Archelon, but was it that hard to design a good-looking fantasy sea turtle? I’m also not keen on the space whale. I’ve seen a million space whales that take that concept and make something cool out of it. This is just a humpback whale with bug eyes, neon lights, and bioluminescence. It’s kinda lazy, all things considered. The Desert Titan was an infinitely better space whale, imo. It’s got distinct whale-like traits, yes, but it’s also more than just a flying whale. 
The Spider-Man thing is cool though. I’m kinda looking forward to swinging around with it whenever I get around to reinstalling ARK. 

• 2 weeks later...

Jesus, get over yourself. This game is NOT specifically made for you. Nobody cares what your nit picky expectations are of this dlc. If you don’t like what they’re doing with this dlc don’t buy it then. Just play your basic boring dinosaur ones. It clearly wasn’t supposed to be anywhere near realistic from the start, there’s dinosaurs and you have guns, like come on buddy. They never made a statement saying this game is only ever going to be based on past animals, and that turtle is frickin awesome. And it was getting way too bland with the ones they were adding, like how many slightly different raptor variants were they gonna make? If you want something realistic go outside.  

Archived