So... Where are the dinos ? (again ?)

DarkRaptor13

So... Where are the dinos ? (again ?)

Okey 2 new DLCs and 3 new creatures:

A robot buddy

A lava lizard 

A 4-arms gremlin-garogo hybrid

Edited: and now a 6-eyes Turtle. Seriously ? Why can't we have an Archelon without insects/zombie/robot part ? Who the hell thought "yes a Turtle with 6 eyes is a great idea"? It would have looked great with only 2 regular eyes guys ! 

If we don't get an Archelon like the awesome one seen in one of the sponsored mods, I'm OUT of this game. I'll never buy Genisis if it's only creatures designed like this disgusting Turtle. The artistic team definitely should be changed. Next creatures will be what ? 

A 8-arms-snail with a Rocket-launcher-shell ? 

We got SE, Aberration and Extinction. No dinos except the fully invented camelsaurus and the spiky velonasaur...

The deinonychus gave us hope for New dinos after a very long wait. But nope, 2 new fully scifi monster DLC coming. I missed the good ol' days when we got lots of prehistoric creatures. The prehistoric survival part is my favorite part of the game since the begining. So sad it's left apart and we only got scifi monster now. I play games like Borderlands, Fallout and no Man sky, I've got enough scifi. Ark was kind of special thanks to the dinosaurs and other prehistoric creatures. But now it feels "déjà-vu" between the old dinos and the overdose of scifi creatures. 

At least more TLCs, variants and skins for the good old dinos, mammoth&co would be refreshing. 

Am I the only one that remember the old days when Ark was mainly a Dino game ? 

Boardroom Suggestion 13082019171551.jpg

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I mean, all we've seen are early teasers. Give them time and they'll start releasing Mysterious Mysteries.

But look, this has been a sci fi game for a long time. This is a game about forced evolution. I really like that they use fantastical creatures as well as historical ones. It is honestly more fun imo.

Edit: edited for reading comprehension on my part.

59 minutes ago, Caerbannog said:

I mean, all we've seen are early teasers. Give them time and they'll start releasing Mysterious Mysteries.

But look, this has been a sci fi game for a long time. This is a game about forced evolution. I really like that they use fantastical creatures as well as historical ones. It is honestly more fun imo.

Edit: edited for reading comprehension on my part.

Yes, I know the scifi part and the evolution thing. It's okey, even the original dinos are subspecies of the real ones. I just would like more creatures based on historical (or modern) animals. You don't need to have extrem fantasy or futuristic look to creatures or super power. 

Some example of great creatures to add:

The Killer whale, a huge SMART underwater Killing machine, beautiful and dangerous. 

The Gorgonopsyd, a great prehistoric predator, a good Hunter with powerful jaws. 

The Archelon, a huge living raft turtle. 

I just don't understand why they only focus on doing overevolved creatures while some creatures could already be implemented "like that" without needing magical Light on the skin. They focus too much on monster of scifi/mythology and not enough on real creatures I think. 

to be fair there really is no difference between a camelsaurus and a stegosaurus. both don't exist.  it's pretty much all fantasy to me and to this day our ability to predict what dinosaurs did and didn't exist is evolving and changing as we learn new ways to read the clues of the past buried in our planet.  it's entirely possible most of the dinosaurs didn't look exactly like you might think they did.

They want to add creatures that are different and neat compared to what they already have added and personally i don't need more "historically accurate" dinosaurs that look like a slightly different version of an existing creature, do the same crap, but worse than other creatures.  i welcome our new lava lizard, beats the hell of yet another raptor, that climbs kinda.

16 hours ago, Kaprosuchus said:

to be fair there really is no difference between a camelsaurus and a stegosaurus. both don't exist.  it's pretty much all fantasy to me and to this day our ability to predict what dinosaurs did and didn't exist is evolving and changing as we learn new ways to read the clues of the past buried in our planet.  it's entirely possible most of the dinosaurs didn't look exactly like you might think they did.

They want to add creatures that are different and neat compared to what they already have added and personally i don't need more "historically accurate" dinosaurs that look like a slightly different version of an existing creature, do the same crap, but worse than other creatures.  i welcome our new lava lizard, beats the hell of yet another raptor, that climbs kinda.

I don't want accurate creatures, I'm just asking for more creatures BASED on real creatures instead of creatures based on scifi/mythology.

Jurassic Park creature aren't that accurate but I like how they create their dinos based on what we know. I want "Ark versions" of creatures like the Killer Whale, Gorgonopsyd, Archelon or Fox for example. Less Pokemon-like creatures. 

I'd be happy to see more extinct creatures, because it's kinda educational. I've been interested in these animals for my whole life but never heard of some until I saw them in Ark (Troodon, Megalosaurus, Argentavis, Megatherium for example). After they were introduced I started reading about them. And after watching me playing Ark, my niece became interested in Dinosaurs as well, so we visit our local museum every once in a while. So, nice side effect that wouldn't have happened with fantasy-creatures. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

You might wanna see the interview that one website had with one of the developers a week ago:

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2019-08-16-how-ark-survival-evolved-fell-into-sustainable-revenue-without-skins-or-loot-boxes

Near the end the co-founder of the game explains why they aren't adding new dinos:

"We've gradually been adding more and more interesting creatures as we've run out of interesting dinosaurs," says Rapczak. "There are still a lot more interesting dinosaurs out there, but it starts to get diminishing returns when you add a third type of Velociraptor or something. "

Apart from this we can also take a look at this situation from a view of gamedesign, because lets be honest, there are so many more cool dinos they could add to the game, but whats the point if it does the same as a creature that already exists in the game ?

A new badass carnivore ? Yeah we alreay got plenty of those and most people just use rexes, gigas and spinos anyway.

New underwater dino ? Basically every role that an aquatic dino could have is already fulfilled in some way or another.

Why would they bother to waste manpower on developing and programming a new dino nowadays, just for it to do the same as something that already exists ? They seem to be aiming for new gameplay mechanics and saddly they don't seem to be able to implement them with dinosaurs anymore. If they got new ideas, a dinosaur won't be able to cut it, because said idea might be an idea that a dino never would be able to reasonably portray.

Like yeah sure the archelon would essentially do the same as the six-eyed turtle thing but the turtle thing also is supposed to have the ability to generate a bubble of oxygen on top of its shell, how would we reasonably be able to give something real an ability like this ? And if said turtle wouldnt have the oxygen ability it would essentially just do the same as a mosasaur with a platform saddle, maybe with the addition of some plants growing on its back.

Im sorry man, but it seems like there won't be any new dinosaurs in the foreseeable future, i think they even admitted on the last developer stream that, due to Genesis beeing a simulation , they now can take even more liberties than before with their creatures. My guess is that the creatures are only gonna be more fantastic than they were already before, but personally im fine with that

• Volunteer Moderator
15 minutes ago, DarkRaptor13 said:

And maybe on the flying Cow of the Last Airbender too. 6 limbs and a "living base". 

You said you didn't want accurate, you wanted based on. It's a massive turtle that could easily be based on the Archelon. The parts that are not accurate are the number of eyes and it's back designed for settlement.

I'm a little confused by what you actually want if you don't necessarily want accurate but you want thing based on stuff.

3 hours ago, GP said:

You said you didn't want accurate, you wanted based on. It's a massive turtle that could easily be based on the Archelon. The parts that are not accurate are the number of eyes and it's back designed for settlement.

I'm a little confused by what you actually want if you don't necessarily want accurate but you want thing based on stuff.

I don't want an accurate Archelon. It could be bigger, have a different behavior, additionnal spikes or rocks or plates like most of dinos in arks. But actually, they took so much liberty it's ridiculous. 6 limbs and eyes and a ugly face like that it's too much, it looks like a frankenstein monster, not an Archelon now. With a Nice head and normal number of limbs and eyes it would be great. I just feel like they turned it too much into a freakshow turtle by adding limbs and eyes. 

It's like taking a bird, cutting all limbs, the head, taking away the feathers and give it a potato color. Yes it was based on a bird but they are too much unnecessary changes and now it looks like a potato, not like a bird. 

Same with thé turtle, okay for some changes but this time they just did too much without any reason. 

On 8/9/2019 at 8:16 AM, DarkRaptor13 said:

Edited: and now a 6-eyes Turtle. Seriously ? Why can't we have an Archelon without insects/zombie/robot part ? Who the hell thought "yes a Turtle with 6 eyes is a great idea"? It would have looked great with only 2 regular eyes guys ! 

If we don't get an Archelon like the awesome one seen in one of the sponsored mods, I'm OUT of this game. I'll never buy Genisis if it's only creatures designed like this disgusting Turtle. The artistic team definitely should be changed. Next creatures will be what ? 

A 8-arms-snail with a Rocket-launcher-shell ? 

What if, now hear me out... The Turtle had 4 eyes? Would that be a agreeable compromise?

And for the rocket launcher snail, it wouldn't shoot rockets but instead, it shoots Achatina Paste Bombs?

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/2/2019 at 1:46 AM, Jemcrystal said:

I like fantasy.  And you people don't know what the extinct creatures looked like anyway.  You're just guessing from a bunch of skellies.  Guess work is fantasy.  It's all wo/man's imagination.

Yeah, I know that the looks are imagination. I did the measurements on a recently discovered plesiosaur-specimen and my boss and the other paleontologists had to think about how it COULD look because they wanted to create 2 models of it - 1 for our museum and 1 for a mexican museum. But I've never heard of a discovered/described Dragon or Manticore-skeleton... :D

I think I just don't really like the fantasy-creatures in Ark because soooo many other games use them, like RPGs for example.

I like new dinos as much as the next guy, and always try to come up with dinosaur ideas, but legendary/fictional creatures are just so much more unique and fun for gameplay. Most natural creatures in the game can't do a whole lot outside of jumping, biting, roaring, or running. Some get cool mechanics, but none of them have the wow factor of a Wyvern's breath or Rock Drake's invisibility. 

• Wildcard Community

I can understand the want for prehistoric dinosaurs or those based on prehistoric dinosaurs but as others have pointed out, this was always meant to be a sci-fi game so it's only natural that the creatures become more sci-fi influenced  (it matches with the lore as well)

That isn't to say there wont be anymore creatures like Deinonychus, but the fact you are seeing more TEK inspired creatures is actually part of the lore and overall story.

Archived