The ShooterGameServer issue and how to fix it!

Pimpman

The ShootergameServer issue and how to fix it!

Alright, so after the latest update (298.3) the update package screwed up the ShooterGameServer.exe, which prevents people from hosting a Dedicated Server entirely. Given that Non-Dedicated Servers lag extremely bad, hosting a Dedicated Server is really the only way to make a private session for you and your buds, without experiencing lag OR being severely limited in how far apart you can go from each other (some also say, that the Dedicated Server consumes less ram, can't really confirm that, but it might be possible). Until the devs decide to hotfix this issue (if ever) I have come up with a rather simple solution to this issue. It does take a bit of time, but it will let you host your Dedicated Server through the game. Here are the steps:

1. Go to Steam > Library > Tools
2. Download ARK Survival Evolved Dedicated Server.
3. Let it finish up, shouldn't take too long.
4. Right click ARK Survival Evolved Dedicated Server, then pick Properties > Local Files > Browse Local Files
5. The setup of the folders is almost the same as the game's folders, go to ShooterGame > Binaries > Win64 (or Linux, depending on your system)
6. In here you will find a fully functional ShooterGameServer.exe and ShooterGameServer.pdb (the .pdb I am not sure if you need in your main folder, but why not copy it as well, Linux doesn't have the .pdb file, so you don't need to copy it over).
7. Select both the Server.exe and the Server.pdb files, copy them, then go to Steam > steamapps > common > ARK > ShooterGame > Binaries > Win64 (I guess it would be Linux, if you're using Linux) > Paste the two files here. It will overwrite the broken ShooterGameServer.exe with the new one, which should be 50.2 MB in size. This will effectively fix the problem until the devs decide to patch it with a hotfix.

Not sure if anyone else has posted this fix or any other way to fix it, but as of writing this I have not found anyone, that has come up with an idea to fix it (or they don't post it).

Dedicated server under tools.  Who knew?  ?

Instead of copying the two files to an old install I copied my saved data to the dedicated server install.  Dedicated is only 15GB instead of 150GB.

Installed that into a folder along side my existing dedicated server.

start "" steamcmd.exe +login username password +force_install_dir ""D:\Games\ArkServer\Server"" +app_update 376030 +quit 

Copied the Saved folder from the original to the newly downloaded dedicated server. D:\Games\ARKServer\Server\ShooterGame\Saved

Modified my startup batch file and viola!  Started right up.  Cluster in tact.  Mods and everything in place.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you so much Pimpman ?

Now, though it works, I'm wondering what's the official story on this? Couldn't find any info.

I mean, can we expect Ark to be patched for the broken ShootingGameServer.exe (when devs come back from their summer-break!) or do we, us Dedicated Server users, have to use the "Tool" from now on?

Until August 28th, I had the exact same issue ( ShootingGameServer.exe & .pdb having incorrect size (2MB worth of NULL values) and all) on two different PCs and two different accounts, and had to copy over those 2 files from OP to fix it.

However since 298.37, I no longer had to do the copy-over trick. Maybe got fixed (?)

• 8 months later...

Archived