Ark Screwing You Over

ZachW170

Ark Screwing You Over

Why does it feel like overtime I play this game it never amazes me how much it screws you up, like they program the dinos to go toward you or get in your way when you're trying to do something instead of just staying away. I've tried taming 5 Pteranodons today and successfully tamed 3 which ended up dying. During all 5 of these taming cycles every single time I got close there would be a aggressive dino come near me and agro onto me thus killing me and my tame. Then on the three successful ones I took the first one back to my base which never has aggressive dino's or any dino near it 99% of the time, and as soon as I get inside to craft the saddle I hear it getting attacked by 5 dilo's which killed it before I could do anything. On the second one I got the saddle on it, was flying towards a new base location I wanted to scout, then landed for stamina and it missed a ledge and landed all the way on the ground below just to get tore apart by two alpha raptors (God knows why they even have these together, let alone two of them in the south easy zone). Then finally the third one, I tame, saddle up, fly to the base I wanted to scout in the redwoods, look around nice a carefully so nothing it near to attack, start looking at the base and where to build, before three terror birds come flying in chasing a parasaur and forget about that and come straight for me and kill me as my bird attacks them. I then respond and run all the way there and just before arriving they kill my bird.....this game literally wants to piss you off and screw you over. Anyone else have any stories?

You are not alone my friend. On my server we call that getting Arked. The best and dumbest advice I can give is to say this.......don't roll the dice. Anything that can go wrong will.....then the alpha will show up and make it worse. The best thing you can do is plan on losing everything ....many many times. On the up side weird stuff also happens when you should wipe but don't . So that is kinda cool.

yeah, i just deal with it alot of the time, only just the other day i was out tamin some argents to breed for stats, i killed everything in the radius, i knew everything was dead as i had my owls with me and i was using heat vision, i make the trap, knock out the first perfect tame argent, it had better melee and health that what i have, like seriously good melee, anyway i give him mutton, i afk for one min, one freakin min to go empty the sack (if ya know what i mean, and come back to seeing the owl being chomped by a freakin giga, now keep in mind i was on a high area where a giga can not just shimmy up and get u, also i know for a fact that i would have seen a huge giga, anyway rip articuno, i decide to run and drag the giga away, he does not want me and goes straight for the bird, so i say srew you and drag out my rocket launcher, i blow him in the  but and he still wont come for me, he has killed the bird and now wants me, i jump and glide off the edge.

That's all experience, you'll tackle all that once you play the game for longer. I hardly ever die by environment after encountering lots of what you experienced today and always double check of everything when playing online. BUT the one thing that ALWAYS cause me death/dino loss is DISCONNECTOSAURUS, which is when the game crashes, or lost connection to server.

11 hours ago, ZachW170 said:

Ark Screwing You Over

Why does it feel like overtime I play this game it never amazes me how much it screws you up, like they program the dinos to go toward you or get in your way when you're trying to do something instead of just staying away. I've tried taming 5 Pteranodons today and successfully tamed 3 which ended up dying. During all 5 of these taming cycles every single time I got close there would be a aggressive dino come near me and agro onto me thus killing me and my tame. Then on the three successful ones I took the first one back to my base which never has aggressive dino's or any dino near it 99% of the time, and as soon as I get inside to craft the saddle I hear it getting attacked by 5 dilo's which killed it before I could do anything. On the second one I got the saddle on it, was flying towards a new base location I wanted to scout, then landed for stamina and it missed a ledge and landed all the way on the ground below just to get tore apart by two alpha raptors (God knows why they even have these together, let alone two of them in the south easy zone). Then finally the third one, I tame, saddle up, fly to the base I wanted to scout in the redwoods, look around nice a carefully so nothing it near to attack, start looking at the base and where to build, before three terror birds come flying in chasing a parasaur and forget about that and come straight for me and kill me as my bird attacks them. I then respond and run all the way there and just before arriving they kill my bird.....this game literally wants to piss you off and screw you over. Anyone else have any stories?

Yes it happens, I am still almost convinced there is an algorithm responsible for spawning dino's in near taming creatures. It is just way too frequent nad perfectly timed too often. Also I notice that some aggro dinos behave differently when you are taming something. The amount of times I have been taming argents and as they are about to finish out of nowhere a pack of raptors, sabers, or terror birds will just appear, and not like they are randomly wandering around, I watch them from a distance making a Bline for the argents, they don't get aggro'd on the other herbivores around, they go straight for your taming animal. It's gotta be a hidden mechanic. So for awhile I would use spiked walls, whatever I am tmaing, once it is knocked out I wall it in, if I have a trap for argents or whatever then I put a perimeter of spikes around that, and that worked for awhile, Predators would get spawned in but not be able to get past the spikes, they would try however. 

That was untill the last time I played ark. Built an argent trap in the desert on rag, baited in a 150 argent, knocked it out, put a perimeter of spikes around my trap, grab some mutton and start the taming, After about 20 mins - half an hour the argent is almost done, then I hear something. I look up to see a pack of 5 hyena falling off the cliff above me and onto the roof of the argent trap, they land and instantly attack the argent, I try to kick them away on my kangaroo but the damage has been done and the argent lost too much life to be worth taming so I go and kill the entire pack of hyena out of anger, make sure I get all 5. So I take a breather light a smoke and restart, I go to  the top of the cliff above my trap, put spike walls up there, now there is no way anything can fall from that cliff onto my pen, I find another 150 argent, bait it in tranq and stick the mutton on him. i wait untill 87% tamed when I hear it, the call of hyena. I rush to look around and see another pack of 5 hyena, not close but heading to my trap as if they spawned in already aggro'd on my argent, from miles away these things are already going for my argent(can't tell me that is normal behavior) I'm like I'm good... I have my spike walls :). I learned that day that Hyena can glitch over spiked walls as if they werent even there, tell you what that stupid smile on my face got slapped off pretty fast when all these hyena just jump over my spikes in a seconds and go right for the argent, they dont even aggro me, they go right for the argent. I tried to stop them but like I said they wouldnt aggro me till the argent was dead. Now I am pissed and I kill all hyena with furious vengance, I then take my kangaroo and good rifle and massacre the entire area. Seriously I killed EVERYTHING, mostly out of anger but I also wanted to make sure no more predators are around. I double layer the spiked walls hoping hyenas can't jump two rows of spikes. Find a lvl 140 argent bait it in, start the taming, come 90% tamed and some dude rocks up on his griffin and kills my and the argent.

That last part was understandable. and I after I spawn in again I tell him what I have been doing and he was a nice guy, he apologized which is rare for pvp official and gave me some stuff for the inconvenience, gave me a wyvern egg  and we have a bit of a chat. After that I logged off and have not played on rag since. In fact I have played very little ark since that. The fact that I actually prepared for things to go wrong and proactively put measures in to safe guard things coming to mess with me while taming LIKE THEY ALWAYS DO ( seriously this has to be written in the code, I am pretty convinced) it still didn't matter, just so happens hynea's give no poops about my pathetic spiked walls protection and will kill my tames regardless. 

Things like this make me less interested and passionate about ark, it is already challenging enough especially dealing with PvP, too often it feels like there is an admin watching and trying there best to troll you with wild dinos and glitches, some fat slob with nothing better to do but sit and troll people on official servers and "drain his sack" while he laughs at our anger and pain. I know that's not the case but it makes me feel a little better having something to blame and get angry at.

Anyway yeah it's how the game is OP, and a big part of why I hardly play anymore. I wish you luck only advice you can give is to prepare for things to mess with you as best you can, but like others have said prepare for even your best attempts at safe guarding yourself to be as effective as throwing a tissue as hard as you can. When the game seems to be designed to mess with you, you can only mentally prepare yourself to get messed with ?‍♂️ or move onto greener pastures, I hear Rust Is really nice this time of year.

4 hours ago, HoboNation said:

The amount of times I have been taming argents and as they are about to finish out of nowhere a pack of raptors, sabers, or terror birds will just appear, and not like they are randomly wandering around, I watch them from a distance making a Bline for the argents, they don't get aggro'd on the other herbivores around, they go straight for your taming animal.

I watched this exact same thing happen in the desert. It is a perfect way to test the theory.

Tranq that Argy and as SOON as that Argy lands - every creepy crawly morphs into a giant ball of creeper and heads towards that Argy.....

Totally understand your frustration. I've had to wake up and retranq procops in the desert so many times because Fing terror birds come screaming in from some random direction chasing a Gali or some such freaking thing man. It's like they know the most opportune moment to mess with you and they are so damn fast that you can't even flap them away with a wyvern in time.

Most recent example of Ark messing with me is on Val, we took the time to tame a low level stego on the first day and on the voyage back to the base we get attacked by raptors. In the midst of fighting the raptors off a group of stegos just decides to wander super close and gets tail slapped so then our stego has three of it's upperclassmen just wailing on it after already dealing with the raptors and dies.

We could have logged off after that but we were so pissed that we went back, killed the weaker 2 stegos and sacrificed 6 hours of our lives to mejo tame the 145 that was the ringleader. I named her Murderess and though she has saved my life many times since on that map I will never forget the blood that is on her tail. Sometimes when ark spits in your face you gotta spit right back man though the frustration is always there, truly.

Just last night I was trying to tame a lvl 140 Meg with a wild 32 rolls on HP. I was pretty excited as that would almost certainly pop up to 40+ after taming. I had it trapped inside my water enclosure, but not quite inside the actual 'trap' made of gateways. The enclosure is basically just a walled off bay. I was trying to coax the Meg into the 'u' shaped gateway trap, where I would put down a fourth gateway once it got inside. Instead the Meg decides to attack my wyvern, which was parked on shore near the water's edge. In doing so, the meg beaches itself and dies instantly. I was 'ARKd'.

alot of the random movements in the game aren;t completely random, it's why when you hit quetzals they eventually make their way to 0,0 on the map.  there is a much higher chance of creatures that are not in stasis to move towards the center of the currently loaded area, and the player is always the center of the currently loaded area.  so dinosaurs have a much higher chance of making a "random move" towards you than any other direction.  the quetzals will not wander to 0,0 but they will flee there because dinosaurs that are fleeing try to move to the center of their spawn zone and the quetzal spawn zone is usually the entire map.

Archived