Baby ovis dies immediately after claiming.

Aparris

Baby ovis dies immediately after claiming.

This is my first time breeding any animal. So the female ovis hits 100% and the unclaimed baby ovis spawns. I press e to claim it, and it dies before I can name it! First one died instantly. (less then one second) The second female's baby died in three seconds. I could not access the inventory it died so fast. The second one got more bloody over the three seconds, so its health went down in increments. What am I doing wrong or is this just a bug that happened twice in a row? I only have S+ mods enabled.

@Rintrahhh That might be the issue. These are the levels : Females : 1, 17, 17, 31. (4 females)

:Male level : 17. First baby was with Female level 1, and male level 17. Second was Female level 31, with male level 17. None of them are upgraded. I've heard to not upgrade animals that your are  breeding. Should I upgrade them?

25 minutes ago, Aparris said:

@Rintrahhh That might be the issue. These are the levels : Females : 1, 17, 17, 31. (4 females)

:Male level : 17. First baby was with Female level 1, and male level 17. Second was Female level 31, with male level 17. None of them are upgraded. I've heard to not upgrade animals that your are  breeding. Should I upgrade them?

Increasing the stats of the parents will not affect the stats of the offspring. The only stats that can be carried over to the baby are the stat of the parent on tame, i.e. if the mother has 2 points in health and the baby gets the health from mother then it will have 2 points in health even if you dumped 30 levels into the mother after taming and leveling. Barring mutations to health but that is another story.

You should try to find higher level parents or if you are unable to, get a daeodon and trigger it to heal when the baby is born so that it may give you enough time to throw 4 berries in it's inventory.

As high of a level as possible. Seems to me that your settings are on very low dino difficulty so it may be challenging to find high level parents. Official server dinos can spawn at lvl 150 and the non story mode maps have a minimum dino level of 15. If you are playing on singleplayer you can increase the difficulty and perform a destroywilddinos command to refresh all the dinos on the map.

For level 150 dinos to spawn in singleplayer you need,

Difficulty level 1.0

Maximum Difficulty: (checked box) under general tab.

Use Singleplayer Settings: (checked box) also under general tab. I use this setting because it speeds up taming and breeding and imprinting times. I cant remember what else it does. Use it if you want.

Low levels have ridiculously small food and health bars so like others have already said that's your likely suspect. Regardless of level if you're ovis breeding I'd recommend that you have the mother on a ceiling tile above the actual surface you want to raise them on as baby ovis have a bad habit of dropping through structures when they pop out. Destroyed so many foundations before somebody mentioned that trick to me.

Even at those low levels that seems fast. Any chance you chance you've messed with baby settings possibly tweeking the baby consumption multiplier the wrong direction?

If they are dying that fast, even if you could get their inventory open it sounds like you would need to constantly force feed them to keep them alive. They wouldn't be able to eat fast enough on their own to survive.

12 hours ago, Thyme said:

Sometimes low level babies (troodons and jerboas notably) have to force fed because the hunger food restores is greater than their max hunger so they simply wont eat, or may not eat fast enough

this was also made worse some many patches back when the dinos reaction time to situations/events was lowered (I guess to reduce lag) and now they might take some time for babys or even grown dinos to realize that they are indeed hungry. For babys with low food stats this might be fatal and requires constant attention until they reach a sufficent food-level.

In extreme cases it might even take several minutes until a dino realizes it's hungry

On 8/2/2019 at 11:09 AM, Aparris said:

@gudmugly I have my difficulty set at 1.0

What difficulty would you recommend for single player? Also thanks @gudmuglyand @Rintrahhh

You should set it to 5 to make Dino level range 5-150 just like official server. But to do that you cant use the slide bar, you have to edit GameUserSetting.ini located in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\ARK\ShooterGame\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor , depending on your steam folder.

DifficultyOffset=1.000000 <= this is the default line, find DIFFICULTYOFFSET in the ini file because your value might vary
OverrideOfficialDifficulty=5.000000 <= then copy paste this and put it below

You have to quit the game when editing the ini file or the game will just revert back to its original ini. Also don't forget to enter console command using [TAB] then type destroywilldinos to repopulate the dinoes in your game world.

That difficulty value multiplied by 30 is your max dino level, so if you use 1.0 highest level will be 1x30= lv 30, if using 5.0 it will be 5x30 = LV 150.

===

But the game is really fond of spawning lowbies dino, imo the game should also provide MINIMUM SPAWN LEVEL, not just max.

As many others have posted already, a few things can be done here to increase your chance of getting these babies to survive.  First, get higher base health parents.  Even just level 50+ would be quite helpful considering what you are using currently.  Second, be ready to force feed the mejos.  Lastly, as a general tip:  For all these small animals that are live birth (sheep, jerboa, shinehorn, etc) It's good to have the mom parked on a ramp or birthing onto open ground (for instance a few squares of flat area inside your nursery room.)

weight and food are the biggest factors for them starving so fast.  The low levels guaranteed their levels were about as low as can be.  Breed ones that are over lvl 100 and you shouldn't see this problem.  weight will allow them to hold more food sooner and a low food level means that if they go w/out food, they hit 0 that much sooner. 

Base food on an ovis w/ 0 points in food is 1380.  So that would start out only w/ about 138 in value on food.  If you add a little server lag and the time it takes for you to open it's inventory, it could easily die w/ hp that starts at only 100 base, 200 hp if it had only 5 points in the stat which could be generous on a lvl 17.

Also, If an animal bugs out and doesn't eat, low food levels could have them die before they start to eat on their own again.

Archived