forum Reorganize Suggestion Forums

Reorganize Suggestion Forums

The suggestion forums as a fantastic idea, but it's becoming apparent that there needs to be some structural changes to people can actually find suggestions they are interested in.  My suggestion would be to split the forum into the following categories and subcategories:

Settings and Mechanics (general game settings and mechanics)
Creatures

• Additions
  • Changes

Maps

• Additions
  • Changes

Unofficial Hosting (most useful for console, given the tools PC players have access to, but I believe this warrants its own category)

• Incorporated Tools (admin listing, player listing, stat tracking, and so on)
    Configuration Options (stats, overrides, and so on)

People have short attention spans and aren't likely to sort through more than 60 pages of suggestions to find what they are interested in.  Additionally, there are a number of repeat suggestions that are crowding out original suggestions.  I believe if the suggestion forum is broken down in a similar fashion to the above, it will make things much easier to find.  Additionally, it will break things down into more specific suggestions which will allow a more accurate read on community desires.  I get that this makes the suggestion forum more complex, but I think that complexity is going to give you folks a better overall read and ultimately simplify the data collection process on your end.

Additionally, it would be useful if you folks would sort the forums according to what you will and what you won't consider.  We're all aware there are some things that aren't technically possible or even worth the effort, and some things that defeat your vision of the game.  Creating something like a public rejection bin to host the suggestions that aren't going to happen will help people navigate this forum section.

I would have to agree.

I have been watching the suggestion forum since the day it was reworked. I find it interesting to know that people outside of the cluster I play on and code for think of the game and the items they are the most interested in seeing changed. In fact, I usually go over many of them with those I play with who do not follow the page as often in order to keep them in the loop and see what they think. And often I try to include their opinions in the posts I place. 

And because I have been watching it since it came out I have a relatively rough idea the types of things that have gone in, but I would have to agree, it is a little convoluted. And I have seen many times, the same idea being re-posted. Either because a slight adjustment to the title, or because they had not researched the idea thoroughly before posting. 

If I could simply search by tags, I would. However they aren't always used. Then there is also the overuse of the "ideas" or "several ideas" title lines that bring no information to the subject that is being discussed. 

I have found some with such titles to be enjoyable to read, but I have also found several to be a little confusing or incomplete. 

If not sorted the way you have listed, I think at the very least, certain tags should be required so that the topics could be sorted by them properly.

For example;

• Type of Gameplay: PVE, PVP, RPG, Single Player, Dedicated Server, Unofficial, Official, All Gameplay, etc...
  • Platform of Gameplay: Console, Crossplay, Windows, Steam, Mobile, Switch
  • Specifics: Mods, Maps, Engrams, Weapons, Tools, Clothing, Creatures, Skins, Items, Craftables, etc...
  • Type of Suggestions: Fix, Update, Rework, New, Removal, Continuation, etc...

It would also be nice to allow the creator of the post to alter the title of the post. At times it seems to start out as one item, but later in the discussion it grows and the post itself is changed, but not the title to include the addition. Specifically so if it is a list of items. 

This said, I know there are ways to search for things currently and how to use them, but for those who are not as familiar, I would agree that an easier method to find things would be nice. 

Great idea. 

• 1 month later...
  • Chris locked this topic

Archived