Lore Locations? (eg.Rockwell Manor)

Zeras

Lore Locations? (eg.Rockwell Manor)

So, I've just listened to a reading of the Explorer notes on the island, and something made me curious. Where is/was Rockwell Manor? Or the island that Mei used as the hunting grounds for her 'pack'? I honestly haven't found all of the explorer notes myself, so I don't know if they are found in places that they reference. I've found two rockwell notes, a Gaius note, and a couple Dossiers that are either Helena or Rockwell (haven't checked my journal). But the island where I found the Megalania and Hyenadon notes, with the stego notes directly across the sea on the shore of the nearest islet, there doesn't seem to be any ruined structures from which Helena could have been based. (I also have searched the island that's classified as 'wilderness', and it doesn't seem there's a cave entrance, and there's no predators on the whole island so I don't know how relevant research notes are to the locations we find them at.

I'm just curious because I'd love to imagine what Rockwell Manor looked like, or what the base of the Painted Sharks was like. I know there are caves that have frozen Legion-type architecture, based on clips I've seen on youtube, but I haven't seen anything that would indicate Rockwell's location.

Also, I don't own any of the DLCs, but is the village Rockwell found on Scorched Earth actually present when you play on it or is it in ruins or just nowhere to be seen?

And a third point, is there any lore to Ragnarok? Because some of the named locations suggest that there is lore and I think it would be cool to research.

In case I don't check back, feel free to message me on discord at Zeras#5492 if you'd like to discuss Ark in any way. I'm currently on a new playthrough on the island to reinvigorate my love of the Island, and I'm so happy with the current playthrough, and I'm more than willing to talk your ear off about it.

Have a good day survivors.

-Zeras, Dragon King of Ragnarok

I think your reading way too much into this stuff. The game was basically created as survival PVP game and then they tacked on some kind of quasi story to keep those that like that kind of thing happy but really there isn't anything to it. The best you can conclude is that is your part of some experiment where micro chipped cavemen are pitted against giant beasts.

I'll admit that I know nothing of the lore and frankly, I'm not too interested to know it either. But I do get the sense the the Extinction map is the most intriguing when it comes to casually observing the story backdrop. It seems like its actually Earth at some point in the future after a disaster, and the snow/desert biomes are supposed to be 'Arks', that might constitute the circumstance of most of the other game maps. A bit of a confirmation from the game devs that 'yes' the other maps are all containments in some kind of futuristic zoo/arena. 

23 minutes ago, DeHammer said:

I'll admit that I know nothing of the lore and frankly, I'm not too interested to know it either. But I do get the sense the the Extinction map is the most intriguing when it comes to casually observing the story backdrop. It seems like its actually Earth at some point in the future after a disaster, and the snow/desert biomes are supposed to be 'Arks', that might constitute the circumstance of most of the other game maps. A bit of a confirmation from the game devs that 'yes' the other maps are all containments in some kind of futuristic zoo/arena. 

You should read the lore instead of assume :P Its actually quite cool

12 minutes ago, d1nk said:

You should read the lore instead of assume :P Its actually quite cool

I kind of like the mystery of it, and have purposely avoiding reading the lore for that reason. Also, I'm not assuming anything. It's just my impression based on what I have observed in game. 

But it might be time for me to reconsider... 

I dont think Ragnarok will have any official lore as its a non story map.

You can find features in game from the notes. A few in game references that come to mind are for Extinction. I believe you can find The Tomb of Ascension where Helena ascends and I also beleive that you can find the place (I could be wrong with this) where Santiago and his mek fell fighting the titans. I should probably give the notes a read again, love the lore.

30 minutes ago, DeHammer said:

I kind of like the mystery of it, and have purposely avoiding reading the lore for that reason. Also, I'm not assuming anything. It's just my impression based on what I have observed in game. 

But it might be time for me to reconsider... 

I really recommend looking into it if thats what your into and dont mind losing some of the mystery.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/29/2019 at 12:45 PM, AngrySaltire said:

I dont think Ragnarok will have any official lore as its a non story map.

You can find features in game from the notes. A few in game references that come to mind are for Extinction. I believe you can find The Tomb of Ascension where Helena ascends and I also beleive that you can find the place (I could be wrong with this) where Santiago and his mek fell fighting the titans. I should probably give the notes a read again, love the lore.

Yeah you can find those locations. But I am moreso rather curious as to where Rockwell manor was on the island. There are some ruins that could be one thing or another as many of them follow the same building theme, but they are so spread out that there's no way they were all part of one single compound spanning over the entire island. There's a place near "Herbivore island" The island that's labelled as a Wilderness Biome where only Herbivores spawn, near that if you head towards the Green Obelisk there's a location with a Rockwell note that I thought could be the location of Rockwell Manor, but when you read Elena's entry about traveling to Rockwell manor, she talks about being up in the mountains. So I'm just curious if the devs actually have a set location they may have had for Rockwell Manor. If so, i'd love to see their renditions of like how the island was during the time of Rockwell. It wasn't like 100 years or anything before our time on the island, since it's kind of safe to assume we end up on the island around the time of the last Explorer Note on Extinction is written. So i'd say about 30-50 years, as Mei is helping train a new civilization of survivors with her 'friend' (who's name escapes me) on Earth, which is indeed where Extinction takes place. 

On 7/29/2019 at 10:52 AM, ForzaProiettile said:

I think your reading way too much into this stuff. The game was basically created as survival PVP game and then they tacked on some kind of quasi story to keep those that like that kind of thing happy but really there isn't anything to it. The best you can conclude is that is your part of some experiment where micro chipped cavemen are pitted against giant beasts.

Can I insert a gif of Excalibur from Soul Eater with his whole "FALSE!" thing? No? okay. So. You're very wrong. the DLCs have all been based around story, lore, and progression, not just "Hey, cool environment to make people survive in!" Otherwise the whole game would just be procedurally generated Arks. There is actually a pretty deep lore for the game and the concept of us actually existing after the Explorer Notes timeline is pretty interesting, especially if you're playing solo because then it gives you the impression you're the last survivor (though based on cutscenes and the story of the game it's meant to be played on multiplayer). 

the whole point of this post was not to ask if there IS any lore, because I already know there is. I've been researching the lore deeply but the only thing that really gets me is that I don't know where Rockwell Manor was supposed to be located. I don't own any of the DLCs, and my console hasn't been able to connect to the internet since early June so I have not yet even installed Valguero. So the Island is where all my access to lore is without using youtube/forums to research, and I want to go to where Rockwell Manor was located and actually look-see if I can build something there. 

On 7/29/2019 at 10:52 AM, ForzaProiettile said:

And I think you missed the point.  The game started as PVP, but quickly became something else.  More people play PVE than PVP.  The Devs didn't spend thousands of hours creating complex caves with artifacts just to "keep people happy"  ALL the DLC's (as the poster above said) have been lore based and they even said on the Genesis reveal stream that they "had more story to tell."

Archived