Dinos that aren't that special, but special to you?

IvyOfARK

I actually find a lot of value in mediocre dinos. In fact I think they tend to be the most useful long term. If you're smart you won't take a much prized dino out on a dangerous mission, and let face it... most of the more dangerous task are also the most rewarding. Example: Wyvern egg stealing. I know people who do take their newly acquired superior wyverns into the wyvern's trench as they are looking for a quick level up... but its stupid frankly, and they generally end up losing their prized wyvern pretty quickly that way. Far better to take a decent wyvern you don't care that much about into the trench, and let you prized wyvern level up to a decent level more slowly.

To me, there's nothing more valuable in the game than a capable dino that's also expendable. 

1 hour ago, Rattasaur said:

Procoptodon- something about bouncing around on a big ol' 'Roo is very fun. I like to kick large Dinos and hop away then super leap out of thier reach.

Very underrated for sure. They have a HUGE weight stat for their level, extremely mobile and harvest like crazy. I like to use them for berries and cactus sap

Beavers

Since the Argy TLC, Beavers don't really have a place in the mid-endgame meta since the Argy is the go-to BP saddle crafter. 

And for wood collecting Theri/Mammoth/Roll Rat have that covered and do it so much better.

I used to love breeding them but sadly had to pod them as they don't really have a reason to take up tame cap anymore.

When I go on meat runs they are the only thing I actually try to avoid killing in the wild, unless I raid the dams.

Bronts. 

I have some weirdo on my server telling me to cryo them, kill them, they take up dino count, they are in his way (Herb Island parked in the water not even on the land), I don't need that many (I only have like eight), can't you move to another server you and that other guy (is been here since beta but owns Herb Island so on his hit list), and the last attempt he said my bronts are so big they block wild spawn-ins, lolz.  No, his base is no where near mine; he's just a lunatic that bosses everyone around on the server.  BUT I HAVE ONE OF EVERY COLOR !!  These big fat ninnies are great for laying eggs, gathering wood, berries, fighting, riding, tanking and knocking down trees for the fun of it.  Put them on follow and run around.  Aint nobody mess with you no more.  And who can't love something with a big whip genetically installed?  ?

Well, one of the benefits of playing a video game is that you just have fun playing it. And we have some fun, useful dinos, and dinos you just like for no special reason.

I like megatheriums and chalicos. They're not great to get around on, but I just like them, they're fun. And they both have useful special abilities.

Also beelzebufos. They're great land travel, good water travel  and are fantastically useful if you have access to sea scorpions. They get the bug kill bonus and harvest both kinds of pearls, oil, chitin and meat from them.SO nice early on. 

And there's pelagornis, which are also very useful early game and just fun to drive around. I nominate them for first flyer tame instead of pteras, they live on the beaches, have higher carry weight than pteras and are better for exploration and early travel.

Archeopteryx. They just a hilarious way to travel and are easy to tame and breed. Probably the best stater "mount" on extinction due to no level requirement and availability. You can also leave one somewhere and come back possibly months or years later due to them eating a non-spoiling food source, they'll often be the last survivor of an abandoned base. I honor that persistence. 

Moschops are sweet too. They are absolute powerhouses for their size, with a base damage that matches a karkinos and doubles a raptors. Shame no armor tho

I love the moschops riding them lumbering along makes me laugh so much. 

Love thylas and they are super useful for travelling everywhere.

But the Dino that I tame anyway everytime I restart has to be the unicorn I never do anything with it because I always find super low levels. I have never bred them or ever found a breeding pair. I never take them out of my barn they just sit there depressed for months staring at a wall.   

On 7/26/2019 at 2:14 PM, Rattasaur said:

Procoptodon- something about bouncing around on a big ol' 'Roo is very fun. I like to kick large Dinos and hop away then super leap out of thier reach.

On 7/26/2019 at 3:36 PM, d1nk said:

Very underrated for sure. They have a HUGE weight stat for their level, extremely mobile and harvest like crazy. I like to use them for berries and cactus sap

roooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Procoptodon #1.

Also, Gallimimus, especially since the TLC on kibble.  They are MUCH much more suited for early/mid-game transport, and are basically unstoppable.  With an imprint and some speed, they outrun tamed (well, hatched/bred) sprinting Wyverns, and carry a good deal.  Just gotta be careful with jumps, because they are pretty fragile.

DUNKLEOSTEUS. Especially in Ragnarok, for gathering metals/crystals/obsidian underwater. Iirc I get like 16k metals and 9k obsidians or maybe the other way around I forgot,  in 2-3h session, can fill industrial forge until full and a bit more, using Dunkleosteus and high weight mossa/plesio to deliver the stuffs to my raft. 

The obsidian nodes also give metal I wonder if that's intended or a bug :D. Doing that a few times will make me so rich in obsidians that I can never be able to use them all up. Only need to gather TONS of cementing paste after that and I'm stocked for life. I use  it to buy high level dinoes. The bottle neck is cementing paste but there's also the beaver spot that respawns very very fast. :D but this is another topic for another thread, so Dunkleosteus is my special dino especially in Ragnarok.

My most special dino to me is Direbear, it's always my first land carnivore to tame because of its versatility, it has speed, high weight, can gather berries/fiber, and can be tamed early with high Taming Efficiency using honey so no need for kibbles. The other day I played on Valguero, my first priority dino to tame was also a direbear.

My other special dino would be Baryonyx, I ever met a guy who likes Baryonyx so damn much I wonder why was that, and he's a hardcore breeder, always has baby dinoes in his base and he sells them cheap, and all have high/good stats. Turned out Baryonyx is very very good for farming raw fish meat which has the spoilage time like cooked meat which is good for breeding because no need to cook it for lasting longer like raw meat, the only downside is the stack but that's not a problem can just add more trough and more fish.

They're probably underdogs except Direbear, but what I like is their utilities just like how dinoes are supposed to be unique with each other , even though there's no more idea to expand more dinoes like it was before with one NEW dino per month.

Megatherium is my overwhelming favorite. They get overlooked but they are so useful in all phases of the game. We tamed several early on in extinction and they really helped us establish a foothold on that map but they can also be used to take down the broodmother so they're useful from day 1 to day 10,000. Also you get 100% imprint every time you raise them and they look like grumpy little old men when they are babies, what's not to love? lol

Procops, equus, doeds, thorny dragons, and ovis would be some others that I love to tame/breed but aren't exactly mainstream. I used to have a bit of an ovis obsession on legacy, so much so that when my buddy split and made an allied tribe for the kibble dinos he called it "Tender Ovis Love" just to mess with me.

Archived