Since when could raptors do this?

LordHotPockets

I know that raptors will rip you off your mount and pin you to the ground, it's happened to me on ankys on other servers FAR too often, but what I did not know is that they can pin your tames down too in the same manner, that was new to me. I was on Valguero and was coming back from a mutton run with a tribemate and we were attacked on our argys by a pack of 4 raptors. To my surprise they didn't pin me to the ground but instead pinned my poor bird to the ground, popping me off and surprising the hell out of me.

I will be honest and say that I'm not really an argy user if I have a wyvern available and I know there have been so many changes and tweaks to certain dino behavior so I just wanted to know if that was something new with Valguero or if that had been around for awhile. Either way it's damn terrifying lol

1 hour ago, d1nk said:

I noticed this on Valg too. Maybe its because im actually riding small mounts? Dont know. Never noticed it before but I like it. My tame has a lot more hp than I do haha.

We have a nice stego and they haven't been able to reach me on that yet as I've murdered packs of them so I think you're right about it being the size of the tame. You have a point about the hp but still I shudder to think if I was attacked out in the middle of nowhere by a pack of 4. 1 would pin me, 1 would pin the bird and the other two would just repeatedly slap me...with razor claws...

Makes me wonder if they can do it to all smaller mounts.

1 hour ago, Lycan187u said:

Can be pinned on wyvern as well not the wyvern it's self but the rider!!!!

I didn't completely understand you with this statement but it kinda sounds like you're telling me raptors can rip you off of your wyvern. I sincerely hope you're not telling me that because that would really suck.

If that's the case then what the hell else can they do? Climb up the leg of a giga to attack you off the saddle? ffs this game loves making me paranoid lol

1 hour ago, LordHotPockets said:

I didn't completely understand you with this statement but it kinda sounds like you're telling me raptors can rip you off of your wyvern. I sincerely hope you're not telling me that because that would really suck.

If that's the case then what the hell else can they do? Climb up the leg of a giga to attack you off the saddle? ffs this game loves making me paranoid lol

Yes sorry can dismount  you from wyvern 

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it has nothing to do with Valguerro.  They were doing it to me on the Island well before Valguerro was released.  Had it happen to me multiple times last night on The Island.  They can target the rider or the mount with that leap attack, and if the mount is small enough, they can pin the mount.  Worst case scenario would be this: 

1 hour ago, LordHotPockets said:

*snip* 

I shudder to think if I was attacked out in the middle of nowhere by a pack of 4. 1 would pin me, 1 would pin the bird and the other two would just repeatedly slap me...with razor claws...

Makes me wonder if they can do it to all smaller mounts.

that is, multiple raptors where one pins you, another pins your mount, and there are others to join in.

Regarding the can they do it to all smaller mounts, the answer is pretty much, yes.  The size of the mount is the determining factor.  If you can pin the wild critter using that attack while riding a tamed Raptor, then a wild Raptor can pin that same creature if it is your mount.  If they just bounce off the wild critter, then they will just bounce off that same critter while riding it as a tamed mount.  If your mount is too big to pin, but short enough, you can still be knocked off and pinned.  To be totally immune to it you have to be on something both too big to pin and too tall for them to reach you, like the Stego you mention.

If you want to be truly terrified, LordHotPockets, the other night I was in my completely metal boat with all doors and windows closed.  I had just respawned after getting killed by a Therizino, and I was in the process of getting into storage inventory to pull out some backup gear when I heard a Raptor banging on the walls.  I ignored him letting him rage impotently against the outside of the boat when suddenly I found myself pinned to the deck by said Raptor INSIDE THE FREAKIN' BOAT.   I was completely defenseless because I hadn't had a chance to pull out even the first item, so I died with the Raptor still inside the boat.  I respawn on the other bed and ran out the door only to be greeted by his little friend who was waiting out front.

I respawned at a nearby base, and they both paid the price for their indiscretions, but just to ratchet up your terror factor a bit more, not only can they pin you and your mount (if it is small enough), they can even glitch through walls with that jump and kill you inside your hermetically sealed armored boat.

Now I am waiting to be sailing along in my boat only to suddenly find myself outside with a Raptor sitting on top of my tipped over 5x5, 5 story boat, pinning it down.  ?

37 minutes ago, Sotaudi said:

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it has nothing to do with Valguerro.  They were doing it to me on the Island well before Valguerro was released.  Had it happen to me multiple times last night on The Island.  They can target the rider or the mount with that leap attack, and if the mount is small enough, they can pin the mount.  Worst case scenario would be this: 

that is, multiple raptors where one pins you, another pins your mount, and there are others to join in.

Regarding the can they do it to all smaller mounts, the answer is pretty much, yes.  The size of the mount is the determining factor.  If you can pin the wild critter using that attack while riding a tamed Raptor, then a wild Raptor can pin that same creature if it is your mount.  If they just bounce off the wild critter, then they will just bounce off that same critter while riding it as a tamed mount.  If your mount is too big to pin, but short enough, you can still be knocked off and pinned.  To be totally immune to it you have to be on something both too big to pin and too tall for them to reach you, like the Stego you mention.

If you want to be truly terrified, LordHotPockets, the other night I was in my completely metal boat with all doors and windows closed.  I had just respawned after getting killed by a Therizino, and I was in the process of getting into storage inventory to pull out some backup gear when I heard a Raptor banging on the walls.  I ignored him letting him rage impotently against the outside of the boat when suddenly I found myself pinned to the deck by said Raptor INSIDE THE FREAKIN' BOAT.   I was completely defenseless because I hadn't had a chance to pull out even the first item, so I died with the Raptor still inside the boat.  I respawn on the other bed and ran out the door only to be greeted by his little friend who was waiting out front.

I respawned at a nearby base, and they both paid the price for their indiscretions, but just to ratchet up your terror factor a bit more, not only can they pin you and your mount (if it is small enough), they can even glitch through walls with that jump and kill you inside your hermetically sealed armored boat.

Now I am waiting to be sailing along in my boat only to suddenly find myself outside with a Raptor sitting on top of my tipped over 5x5, 5 story boat, pinning it down.  ?

Interesting, so you're saying they were pinning mounts before Valguero. I appreciate the insight on it they were always annoying but they have made them truly deadly with these updates. Extra glad we opted to take the time and tame the stego instead of a trike.

That story...good lord man that is indeed the most terrifying thing I could ever hear because it basically is like the scene in Jurassic Park when they realize the raptors can open doors. Between that and the kitchen scene it made me very wary of raptors when I first played this game, but they were fairly harmless after you got to a certain point so the fear went away. The fears back man, it's back with a vengeance lol Thanks for sharing.

Get yourself a decent quality sword and just smack them in the face. If you're wearing Flak they are not a big deal, and with ascendant Flak if your armor is high enough they won't even hurt you, so it's like swatting flies. The pinning of mounts has been there since they added the ability to pin players. Its annoying, but raptors are usually easy to deal with.

Unless you run into the unfortunate incident I had with a raptor knocking me off my mount on a cliff edge, which propelled me to the bottom of the cliff to be greeted face to face by a lighting Wyvern in the Ragnarok Dragon Cove. Position of where you're at is really when it can be bad, I've had similar instances with micro raptor dismounts off big Dino's to have raptors pin me down while the Allosaurus pack I was about to murder is now eating my face instead of fighting my mount.

19 minutes ago, Grimgaro said:

Get yourself a decent quality sword and just smack them in the face. If you're wearing Flak they are not a big deal, and with ascendant Flak if your armor is high enough they won't even hurt you, so it's like swatting flies. The pinning of mounts has been there since they added the ability to pin players. Its annoying, but raptors are usually easy to deal with.

Unless you run into the unfortunate incident I had with a raptor knocking me off my mount on a cliff edge, which propelled me to the bottom of the cliff to be greeted face to face by a lighting Wyvern in the Ragnarok Dragon Cove. Position of where you're at is really when it can be bad, I've had similar instances with micro raptor dismounts off big Dino's to have raptors pin me down while the Allosaurus pack I was about to murder is now eating my face instead of fighting my mount.

Ehhhh, we don't have an abundance of flak anything on Valguero quite yet and if I'm on any other server I have gigas and wyverns available so I'm not going to sweat it as bad, but good to know. Are you able to fight back when you're pinned on the ground because I haven't been able to at all. Also do they pin you until you die or are freed or is there a set time that you're pinned and then they get off of you? I've just died so fast on Valguero because of poor armor and low health so I wasn't sure how it worked lol

Tackled off a cliff edge? Damn. At least the raptor died with you, though that's little consolation for the lost gear. Microraptors are evil little things but I have worse problems with purlovias popping up and throwing me off my tame, I never seem to see them in time.

My tribemate uses swords for everything with points into melee, with a mastercraft sword he one shots Raptors even mid leap. Takes me a couple hits without melee points, but with reload time on guns if you aren't armored, unless you one shot it in the face you will be pinned again or dead before you reload. The pin is a timer, about 5 seconds but sure feels longer in the moment. I had a close encounter with 4 raptors all level 140-150 that movement speed let me kite them since I left my sword at base, but the reload time sucks. Pretty sure you can still melee while pinned with a sword, otherwise it's still fast attack once you're up.

If you're losing gear, find yourself more blueprints, mats are easy enough to farm to replace lost items. 

4 hours ago, Grimgaro said:

Yeah, noone is saying they arent easy to deal with. Thats not the point here. 

Im thinking people are just noticing it more because theyre forced to use different tames rather than gigas wyvs etc

9 hours ago, LordHotPockets said:

Ehhhh, we don't have an abundance of flak anything on Valguero quite yet and if I'm on any other server I have gigas and wyverns available so I'm not going to sweat it as bad, but good to know. Are you able to fight back when you're pinned on the ground because I haven't been able to at all. Also do they pin you until you die or are freed or is there a set time that you're pinned and then they get off of you? I've just died so fast on Valguero because of poor armor and low health so I wasn't sure how it worked lol

Tackled off a cliff edge? Damn. At least the raptor died with you, though that's little consolation for the lost gear. Microraptors are evil little things but I have worse problems with purlovias popping up and throwing me off my tame, I never seem to see them in time.

No you cannot fight back, and it's like the #1 wanted feature in response to the pinning. If we could fight back, sword and shield or other 1-hand weapon, they could turn up the tickle-level damage again. Then we might have some fun with this thing they built in, instead of it being a constant potential annoyance, like they made pegos and ichthys. Someone needs to stop thinking that annoying people is fun for them.

Ex. Thylas are seriously dangerous, but you can fight back and in fact, break their pin provided you do enough damage and have the armor to survive long enough. Then it's a ground fight or escape, and the last time that happened to me, *it was fun. Really. Good fight.*. 

FYI they can pin gigantopithecus too.

Archived