Engram XP system

Dimst

Suggestion

Engram XP system

New idea don't tease me xD

I only have about 400 hours in the game since release, and I am not exactly super active in the community so this may very well be a thing that has been suggested, or being worked on. (Because to me this seems like such a no-brainer)

My idea for the game is something that I feel like I think about every time I start playing again: Make ENGRAMS, specifically, upgradable with an XP system. The XP is earned by crafting said item. The more you craft something the better quality you can build it at... I mean it makes sense right? The first time someone builds a club, who has never built one before, will build one that is pretty awful, or barely functional. Totally off balance (slow swing speed), Too heavy (high stamina drain), wrong kind of wood (low durability), etc. But if that same person builds a club 10,000 times.... that 10,000th club is going to be BLEEPING amazing.

Bare with me for this paragraph:

Blueprints could still be shortcuts to get to better quality items without the work. Though, a blueprint will never be better the more you craft it because it is essentially a recipe. Just because someone bakes a cake with a recipe, in real life, does not mean they can make one just as good, or better, without the recipe the next day. BUT they went from having no clue to having a memory to reflect on when trying again so their experience making it has gotten better.

To elaborate on that point: Blueprints would help you make larger strides in the improvement of your personal ability to craft said item. Rather than beating your head against a wall crafting something you have never made before, you have some guidance, thus giving you MORE XP than you would have gotten just making one from an unleveled Engram. For example, you have a brand new engram for a club and craft one with your engram, you will get 100 XP, but you have a masterwork blueprint for a club from a drop and you craft one from said blueprint you will get 5000 XP toward your brand new engram.

Or an amount mathematically figured based on how far behind your engram is from the blueprint you are crafting. If your blueprint is Mastercraft. You would get less XP toward your Engram if it were close to Journeyman level rather than being at a brand new primitive level.

Lemme know what you guys think. ❤️

Edit: I had an idea on how to add a sort of ‘Graduation’ system to this idea to prevent progression from being too rapid.

With a new engram, it is in the Primitive bracket. Repeatedly crafting this item without the help of a blueprint will only allow you to raise the level of the item to the top of its level range. For example, Primitive hatchet could only be raised to level 10. Once it is at level 10, Progression would stop without meeting one of two parameters.

1. The players crafts the item with a blueprint that is at the quality bracket attempting to be achieved or higher. If you are trying to graduate from Apprentice to Journeyman, you would need a blueprint for the item that is at least of Journeyman quality.

2. There is a % chance the player will graduate to the next tier with every craft after reaching the top of that tier.

1-10: Primitive
(10% chance to graduate to Ramshackle w/o BP)
11-20: Ramshackle
(8% chance to graduate to Apprentice w/o BP)
21-30: Apprentice
(6% Chance to graduate to Journeyman w/o BP)
31-40: Journeyman
(4% Chance to graduate to Mastercraft w/o BP)

41-50: Mastercraft
(2% Chance to graduate to Ascendant w/o BP)

51+: Ascendant
(Once at Ascendant, the player only has a 10% chance that their engram will level upper craft)

3 replies to this server topic

I think what the devs intend you to do is level up crafting so you can create better items as you progress, but that mechanic is flawed because the increase is pretty lousy and can be achieved by simply mindwiping when you need to craft. Your idea could work to replace that with crafting bonus rewarding you for crafting more instead of chugging a mindwipe now and then.

6 minutes ago, Thyme said:

Your idea could work to replace that with crafting bonus rewarding you for crafting more instead of chugging a mindwipe now and then. 

It could even wipe your engram XP progression if you mindwipe to incentivize players to be careful about what engrams they select, and coordinate with other players to get more engram coverage throughout the leveling process.

Archived