Pillars ruined my playing experience

Paxxi

I‘ve been playing Ark on for a month on ps4 and i‘m lvl  64. I think i didn‘t do any progress since lvl 20 . The problem is that in my area there are only Pteranodons and Parasaurs and i really want to have the argie which is pretty much impossible for me to catch without building a trap and nowadays all the official PvE servers are full of the Pillars which makes it hard to build one 

i‘ve tried to go a little bit further in the map (Ragnarok) but i‘ll always get killed by raptors whenever i stop to restore my Pteranodon‘s Stamina . 

I also tried to join a tribe so i could use someone else’s help which will make the things easier but it’s impossible since i‘m always not quilified to join any of them 

Any advices ? 

Thx

Greetings ! :)

For the argies specificaly, a decent armor, a decent long rifle with darts and a bit of skill to dodge argies and aim right your shots...... and you can tranq them even without a trap ^^

But i agree that pillars can be annoying sometimes but they are also often there to protect main ressources spots like.... the redwood mountain on "the island".

You can also find a buildable area, put your trap and bait in the dino you target even if it take a bit more time to do :)

A good server will have public traps to help out. Ask about them. 

There is a big Argy spawn around 80 35 area on Rag. It's south below the Wyv Cove. You'll run into Rex, Allo, Raptors, Sabers, Hyena's, and Carno's too but if you build a trap on a raft and kite the Argy to that, you can trap anywhere. 

Lot of boat trap building videos on YouTube so look around. 

Also have bola's on you to help with Raptors. Could give you the time you need to kill one or get away. 

When landing for stam, always try to land on a high point rock.

If you're being killed by raptors, you may want to mindwipe and put stats evenly between health and weight.

And as mentioned, there are probably public/unlocked traps close to argie spawns.

Also on most servers I've played on, if you are known enough, someone will donate an unused argue, or fert egg if you ask. 

I love Ark but my playing experience playing with real people has turned me away as it has done many other players. Joining an old server is like trying to fit in a closed gang group. The spawn points are built upon and we spawn in a difficult area for a beginner, running for our lives from a boss raptor or another vicious dino. People have dodos in their base like dozens so no birds to catch and eat let alone any other animal to get skin from so a bed can be made. And when a pet is tamed by giving them treats as you follow them all over, they kill your pet and destroy your bed. How do they get to them? Not enough time to build a house before kicked out of game. Then takes weeks to get back in. Upped my internet and still have a hard time accessing them. Yes more than one. They will sell you a pet, but you cannot tame so cant raise either. The new Maps and Servers are horrid with the pillars and foundations. The high levels that played on the first opened servers pop over to land grab and kite high level dinos to low level players (they should not be allowed to transfer until after a time period). This also happens in old servers. I think after spending all night and most of the morning getting a solid base before I logged, nothing, its gone. I have no idea what happened but my toon does not exist. I am disappointed that these server are not monitored more closely. All it takes is to log in once and you will see the code of conduct being abused. Why have it if you are not going to enforce it? Hoping for a better "real" playing world.  I forgot to mention there is no where to build a fire let alone a base. I ran for hours with the fire ready to put down but it stayed red, "too close to enemy's base." I don't play much anymore if at all because of the negative experience. I have my private servers with my high level toons but a person can repeat so much before it gets dull. I build things from youtube but why have an online game if you cant play online? 

13 minutes ago, Seanna said:

I love Ark but my playing experience playing with real people has turned me away as it has done many other players. Joining an old server is like trying to fit in a closed gang group. The spawn points are built upon and we spawn in a difficult area for a beginner, running for our lives from a boss raptor or another vicious dino. People have dodos in their base like dozens so no birds to catch and eat let alone any other animal to get skin from so a bed can be made. And when a pet is tamed by giving them treats as you follow them all over, they kill your pet and destroy your bed. How do they get to them? Not enough time to build a house before kicked out of game. Then takes weeks to get back in. Upped my internet and still have a hard time accessing them. Yes more than one. They will sell you a pet, but you cannot tame so cant raise either. The new Maps and Servers are horrid with the pillars and foundations. The high levels that played on the first opened servers pop over to land grab and kite high level dinos to low level players (they should not be allowed to transfer until after a time period). This also happens in old servers. I think after spending all night and most of the morning getting a solid base before I logged, nothing, its gone. I have no idea what happened but my toon does not exist. I am disappointed that these server are not monitored more closely. All it takes is to log in once and you will see the code of conduct being abused. Why have it if you are not going to enforce it? Hoping for a better "real" playing world.  I forgot to mention there is no where to build a fire let alone a base. I ran for hours with the fire ready to put down but it stayed red, "too close to enemy's base." I don't play much anymore if at all because of the negative experience. I have my private servers with my high level toons but a person can repeat so much before it gets dull. I build things from youtube but why have an online game if you cant play online? 

I understand your pain, I tried pac-man and the ghosts kept eating me.  I tried to eat the pellets but they just kept chasing me, over and over.  I would even eat the power pellets and chase them around awhile but they just don't last long enough, so I couldn't kill them all.  I don't know why they made a game that wants you to eat the pellets but it won't let you because of the ghosts.  I have put down pac-man for now because of all the op ghosts.  I thought about trying Mrs. Pac-Man but I'm sure it won't be much different.  I'm thinking the ghosts have been on the map longer and have had a longer chance to learn the maze.  Ark is Life

6 hours ago, Joebl0w13 said:

Get off the beach. 

did u not hear him say he dies from raptors when ever he leaves the beach, your not very bright. as u @Paxxi yes i suggest grind out and make a raft trap. get a trike before the argent. make narcotics, make a trap and then tame an argent. hope this helps. also @FreelancerKnux u r stupid to think new players are usless. they can be just ass good as OG players

7 hours ago, bannedbybirth said:

I understand your pain, I tried pac-man and the ghosts kept eating me.  I tried to eat the pellets but they just kept chasing me, over and over.  I would even eat the power pellets and chase them around awhile but they just don't last long enough, so I couldn't kill them all.  I don't know why they made a game that wants you to eat the pellets but it won't let you because of the ghosts.  I have put down pac-man for now because of all the op ghosts.  I thought about trying Mrs. Pac-Man but I'm sure it won't be much different.  I'm thinking the ghosts have been on the map longer and have had a longer chance to learn the maze.  Ark is Life

I'm so confused.  Are the ghosts Raptors?  Or survivors?  Or sentient Raptors (lawd help us)?  HOW ARE THEY REMEMBERING THE MAP?  If they learn how to open doors and use tools, ARK is over.

1 hour ago, Kodking194 said:

did u not hear him say he dies from raptors when ever he leaves the beach, your not very bright. as u @Paxxi yes i suggest grind out and make a raft trap. get a trike before the argent. make narcotics, make a trap and then tame an argent. hope this helps. also @FreelancerKnux u r stupid to think new players are usless. they can be just ass good as OG players

If you were right then this thread wouldn't exist.... needing a trap to catch an argie is a joke, same as claiming all the maps are covered in pillars.

Everywhere is pillared but you will find a place somewhere in the radius, you can kite the argy quite far to whereever you can place your trap.

You should scout around before you land lol, land on higher objects like rocks to avoid wild dinoes. Once you tamed a low level pteranodon, the second thing you want to do is FIND OVIS TO TAME HIGHER LEVEL PTERA. It's in highland, there are also a lot pteras too there, so you can get ovis and pteranodon in one place. You can check spawn map. Then you will be able to tame high level argy after that. Ovis is important especially if you just starting out and have no kibbles. Imo The kibble rework should be tweaked, can't tame ptera using dodo eggs anymore, imo just let dodo egg be dodo kibbles for ptera/dolphin, since dodo uses poop interval that has a chance to lay egg.

You can use FIVE pieces of Stone/wood gateways with 2 gates to trap an argy, don't forget to use wider space between gateways to let the pteranodon escape. I usually pick high place to build my argy trap so nothing would hurt it once I ko'ed it.

People seem to forgot they were once noob too lol, write your  experience when you just started Ark and it will be more or less the same, can even be worse :D

1 hour ago, FreelancerKnux said:

If you were right then this thread wouldn't exist.... needing a trap to catch an argie is a joke, same as claiming all the maps are covered in pillars.

i use traps, not for the easy way of knocking them out but to prevent them from being killed. u cant say that new players can not use traps, if they desire to use traps let them use traps. again u cant call them usless for playing differently from u when u started off. so shut up and leave them alone

36 minutes ago, Kodking194 said:

i use traps, not for the easy way of knocking them out but to prevent them from being killed. u cant say that new players can not use traps, if they desire to use traps let them use traps. again u cant call them usless for playing differently from u when u started off. so shut up and leave them alone

He complains saying he has to use traps, which is flat out wrong same as complaining all the maps are full of pillars.

I dont care if they want to use traps. It just shows how useless they are when they resort to complaining about things that aren't true rather than surviving and showing a small degree of problem solving skills by doing a simple task without relying on all the youtube "how to tame an argie" vids.  

I do not know what it is like on console because I am on PC.  Is there any real difference?  If not, I would suggest making use of cluster maps.  I personally think it is to much of a pain to catch argies on TheIsland.  Ragnarok is my favorite argie spot.  

Rag is very pillard.  But you need to think around pillars.  Research raft traps.  Fly a peleg or pter and spend 3hrs a day looking for a spot not pillard.  Spots are out there if you look hard enough.

Myself I have a team of pters.  Use high stam one as main mount.  Put health and attack in the follower pters.  Search the land everywhere and spots I know are argie spawns.  This is an all day project btw.  Find a high lvl argie.  Whistle pets to Passive.  SLOWLY omg lead the argie back into position of my trap.  It will bite the pters but a team will mitigate the damage as it's shared between them.    Look for other players' traps as well is possible might be some near.  Lead into position and fly fast to break the agrie's aggro.  Then go back with only the main mount and lead argie to trap.  When it is passed out use the team of pters as body guards to keep out seagulls, compys, etc and relax waiting for tame up.  

For an easy team of pters find an Herb Island (TheIsland Map) that is open to community.   Herb is always pillard but some folks are nice about sharing.  They just pillar to stop massive building take overs.

On the subject of pillars -

I absolutely hate giant bases that take up the entire map.   A well thought out pillar will keep these mega tribes from lagging the game to ruin and giving us all constant disconnects.  This is not minecraft use restraint people!  You know your giant constructions are the cause of the lag but you do it anyway cause you can.  You think a few pillars are bad?  Try a map full of bases!  That crashes every 1 hour and freezes for 8 minutes during every server save!  I would rather have the pillars tyvm.

I think people should have a building limit per character per week.  I think tribes should be removed from the game or at least given a BIG resource gathering penalty.  Solo players and new accounts should be given resource boosts.  And the land acquire range a stone pillar reaches should be doubled so there is less of them being used to mar the visual beauty of the landscape but getting twice as much land coverage.  

And the decay timers need to be changed on official multiplayer.  Thatch is fine at 4 days.  Wood needs decreased from eight days to 5 days.  Stone needs decreased from twelve days to 6 days.  Metal needs decreased from sixteen days to 7 days.  Under these premise Adobe is fine at 8 days (it should have the largest timer it is hardest to get and is as soft as wood). 

We need to recognize this is a strategy game with land grab dynamics.  Multiplayer should be brutal on the timers so only the people who log in most can keep their stuff.  OFFICIAL ONLY.   It's a multiplayer environ so there should be a gain and loss of land and pvp'ing to hurt each other is a bad way to do it.  Logging in often is a good way.  If you cannot log in because sick, vacation, school, family, etc then you loose your stuff.  You are lagging the land and getting in new players' way move over.  Want to keep your stuff no decay then play singleplayer. 

Official is an absolutely horrible masochistic experience. You really need to find a good balanced unofficial server that doesn't have insane rates (anything 3 to 10x on taming/harvesting is a reasonable area).

But more importantly, make sure it has an active admin team who will actually keep players in line....

That's the problem with official - you don't get any real time support. Least you can get support on unofficial as you can work with humans who can evaluate situations and go outside of a script.

20 hours ago, Paxxi said:

I‘ve been playing Ark on for a month on ps4 and i‘m lvl  64. I think i didn‘t do any progress since lvl 20 . The problem is that in my area there are only Pteranodons and Parasaurs and i really want to have the argie which is pretty much impossible for me to catch without building a trap and nowadays all the official PvE servers are full of the Pillars which makes it hard to build one 

i‘ve tried to go a little bit further in the map (Ragnarok) but i‘ll always get killed by raptors whenever i stop to restore my Pteranodon‘s Stamina . 

I also tried to join a tribe so i could use someone else’s help which will make the things easier but it’s impossible since i‘m always not quilified to join any of them 

Any advices ? 

Thx

I would suggest finding and taming some more Pteras, until you can get some better stats ones, then breeding them to get imprinted pteras that allow you to fly farther with more stamina and carry weight. (also raise another one with high health for "kiting")

Then at this point learn to fly while watching your stamina bar, and looking for small safe spots (on top of rocks, edge of cliffs, etc.) that you can land and regain stamina.

Then find a safe spot near, but not directly next to the Argy spawns.  Build your argy trap there. Then when you have a Ptera that has high stamina and health, you can use it to kite the Argy into the trap. Once the argy is trapped, you are good to go, just repeat to get more and better argies.

Another alternative, is to play Single Player game. Learn the map well, learn the spots to build traps, learn how to kite and trap and tame efficiently.   Then give official servers another try.

Good luck.

1 hour ago, Aikar said:

Official is an absolutely horrible masochistic experience. You really need to find a good balanced unofficial server that doesn't have insane rates (anything 3 to 10x on taming/harvesting is a reasonable area).

Yeah, there's definitely a cap on how high the unofficials can put rates and expect to retain people.  For me, I found 3-5x to be the sweet spot, but I see server postings all the time about a brand new 6-7 server-cluster that is 20x gathering, or 50x breeding with .1% mating interval, and those kind of servers are fun for a while, but it tapers off quickly.  Every time I see servers listed like that, I shake my head a little bit.

If you're having trouble at a particular spot then you might just need to raft out of there and find someplace better. I know newer players seem to flock to the areas around blue ob even though it's next to the swamp. You can build on the cliffs up there, resources are aplenty and argies spawn in the area so you can upgrade your flyer but there are plenty of other spots for them as well. Use your current beach base to acquire resources and then leave on an expedition to find a better spot using your raft as a mobile base for your pteras. Once you are comfortable and secure at that location you can rinse and repeat to find a more permanent place for yourself if you don't want to stay there.

Pillars are going to be around on PvE, there's no way around that but persistence pays off. If you are really interested in an area and notice the tribes timers are getting very close to auto decay just wait them out and they'll eventually slip up and then you'll have your chance at it. Pillars seem annoying when you have no land but when you do they truly help preserve resources and spawn points by preventing mega bases, newbie thatch huts, and abandoned impromptu dino gate taming pens from littering the landscape. It's a necessary evil in my humble opinion.

Argies are fine and all but if you really want to be able to go further inland and find solid spots that aren't pillared you truly need a wyvern. Some brave souls fly into the scar on a ptera, use dimetrodons to hatch them and beg for milk in the chat to raise them...I say F that and just buy it. Wherever you place your temporary base, make sure metal is somewhat accessible nearby, hot drop an anky in and farm like a madman until you can buy a wyvern off of an established tribe (which will also build good trade relations). Once you have the wyvern you can truly scout for more permanent locations and you have needed security for when you're building at that spot.

Luckily you're on Rag and it's freaking huge so you most definitely will find a spot that appeals to you and is available to build on, it'll just take a little bit of time and searching. Happy hunting to you man.

41 minutes ago, LordHotPockets said:

If you're having trouble at a particular spot then you might just need to raft out of there and find someplace better. I know newer players seem to flock to the areas around blue ob even though it's next to the swamp. You can build on the cliffs up there, resources are aplenty and argies spawn in the area so you can upgrade your flyer but there are plenty of other spots for them as well. Use your current beach base to acquire resources and then leave on an expedition to find a better spot using your raft as a mobile base for your pteras. Once you are comfortable and secure at that location you can rinse and repeat to find a more permanent place for yourself if you don't want to stay there.

Pillars are going to be around on PvE, there's no way around that but persistence pays off. If you are really interested in an area and notice the tribes timers are getting very close to auto decay just wait them out and they'll eventually slip up and then you'll have your chance at it. Pillars seem annoying when you have no land but when you do they truly help preserve resources and spawn points by preventing mega bases, newbie thatch huts, and abandoned impromptu dino gate taming pens from littering the landscape. It's a necessary evil in my humble opinion.

Argies are fine and all but if you really want to be able to go further inland and find solid spots that aren't pillared you truly need a wyvern. Some brave souls fly into the scar on a ptera, use dimetrodons to hatch them and beg for milk in the chat to raise them...I say F that and just buy it. Wherever you place your temporary base, make sure metal is somewhat accessible nearby, hot drop an anky in and farm like a madman until you can buy a wyvern off of an established tribe (which will also build good trade relations). Once you have the wyvern you can truly scout for more permanent locations and you have needed security for when you're building at that spot.

Luckily you're on Rag and it's freaking huge so you most definitely will find a spot that appeals to you and is available to build on, it'll just take a little bit of time and searching. Happy hunting to you man.

Buying it will not have an imprint bonus.... which is a huge deal. sure i guess you could buy one to then use it to get another, but ptera method works just fine.

I had me a wyvern on day 1 of a new server. Tamed me a high level pter, stole first egg I could find which just happened to be an awesome event fire wyvern:

ekU3S8u.png

As long as wyvern traps exist, and you have enough arrows to get the wyvern knocked out, milking is doable on a pter too. Just level the thing up first to build some stam!

You just need to fly erratic and smart to dodge poison and never ever go near a lightning wyvern. 

Or simply ask someone to loan/give you a cryopod. if you get milk imprint, just pod it and change the imprint.

4 minutes ago, Aikar said:

Buying it will not have an imprint bonus.... which is a huge deal. sure i guess you could buy one to then use it to get another, but ptera method works just fine.

I had me a wyvern on day 1 of a new server. Tamed me a high level pter, stole first egg I could find which just happened to be an awesome event fire wyvern:

As long as wyvern traps exist, and you have enough arrows to get the wyvern knocked out, milking is doable on a pter too. Just level the thing up first to build some stam!

You just need to fly erratic and smart to dodge poison and never ever go near a lightning wyvern. 

Or simply ask someone to loan/give you a cryopod. if you get milk imprint, just pod it and change the imprint.

Kudos to you good sir, snazzy colors (and the name isn't bad either lol). Way back when I tried the ptera a few times but between the old decrepit PS4 I had then and the amount of structures near the scar I kept getting DC'd or killed by lag so I went the other way with it. Didn't have the same problem on the back of the wyvern. Even without the imprint bonus if you put a healthy amount of levels into stamina you can outrun them as long as you're not overencumbered.

If you prefer to do it with a ptera then more power to you man, milk is milk however you get it but I opt to be on the back of a wyvern in case they get a lucky hit in. Good tips for those that want to do it that way though.

I will say though that in the OP's original post he says he's really in search of a new spot to build his base so while he could use the ptera to get the egg/milk the wyvern could do that as well but would still be a more reliable way of scouting spots and providing security for building so it's kind of 2 birds with one stone in that regard. Of course that's just his situation.

23 hours ago, Paxxi said:

Any advices ? 

Thx

Really the solution is so damn simple. Build a taming raft. There are countless videos on youtube. Pillars are your friend when preventing the unknowing from blocking resources needed in the game.

Archived