Borderless or Continuous Map? Far east and west overlap

Scharfaced

Borderless or Continuous Map? Far east and west overlap

I would like to make a map that doesn't have any East or Western barriers but instead allows players to continue past the furthest eastern point of the map to the far western point or vice-versa. Almost as if the map was wrapped around a cylinder.  If you traveled too far North or South you would run into the world barrier but traveling far enough east or west would overlap and eventually bring you back to where you started. Preferably I could make a spherical map but that doesn't seem possible so i'm hoping this is.

I would like to add that I'm completely new to this and just want to know if it's possible before I invest too much time.

Also, I suppose theirs no reason north and south can't overlap too if possible.

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

26 minutes ago, LaugherOutLoud said:

im not sure this would really work. you might be able to get some teleporting thing happening but unless they made the map as a cylinder or a sphere it just wouldn't be possible. 

in fact im 99% sure that the unreal engine doesn't even support anything but a flat map.

Thanks for the reply! I didn't think so to be honest. Now I'm wondering if it's possible to make the entire East and Western barriers giant connected Portals.

I would suggest making something that looks somewhat like the other side of the map in the skybox, and then put down portals that will teleport the player to that other side of the map through controlled portals. Unless you want to go ahead and portal the entire side of the map to let people jump to the other side. That might be a pain.

Archived