ClusterID across multiple physical servers

ClusterID across multiple physical servers

Hi, 

Could anyone explain how the clusterID works, how does it know what servers to allow, is it a socket created internally on the system, steam related? 

I can easily create 10 servers on 10 different physical systems, all sharing the same folder / cluster files but so far when I've test they only see themselves. How does the clusterID protection work? If I run it on the same system it works fine, but seperate system it no longer displays it. 

Anyone an idea? 

Hi,

On 7/16/2019 at 9:34 AM, Larkfields said:

Whatever ID you use, it becomes a sub-directory of the Cluster directory.
Anything that is uploaded is stored as a file in the ClusterID directory.

Yes, this bit i'm aware of. What i'm wondering how does that ID works outside of the server? is it something you can connect between physical servers or is that not possible?.

Server1:
- Island
- TheCenter

Server2:
- Ragnarok
- Extinction

If you start these up, then only the ark servers from physical Server1 will see each other, and vice versa for Server2. Players on Island will not be able to transfer to Extinction.
So from my understanding, if this is solely done through files/ID... it should be able through a special network drive (Read NOT UNC, i'm using iSCSI disks).
However the case remains the same, this is why i ask if there is anything socket/network wise i'm missing that allows them to see each other only on the physical host they are hosted. Because i dont see any special sockets being created

You seem to be looking for some magic that simply doesn't exist.

The ClusterDir and ClusterID combine to make a directory name where obelisk uploads are stored until they're downloaded again.

If your Server1 and Server have the same  ClusterDir and ClusterID  AND that directory is visible to both servers, then both servers can transfer dinos/items/characters between them.
Someone has documented a method for sharing cluster directories between physically separate servers - Google should be able to find that for you.  Beware that network lag will be your enemy here.

22 hours ago, Windsinger said:

So from my understanding, if this is solely done through files/ID... it should be able through a special network drive

Correct.  Microsoft, Unix/Linux, and probably some third parties have facilities for sharing directories across a network. SMB, NFS, SAMBA...

22 hours ago, Windsinger said:

this is why i ask if there is anything socket/network wise i'm missing that allows them to see each

There isn't any socket or network activity within Ark that does this for you - you're not missing anything.

1 hour ago, Larkfields said:

You seem to be looking for some magic that simply doesn't exist.

You could have left this line out, not needed.

You did however answered it and i found out what caused the servers not seeing each other, one of the servers has multiple network interfaces and this caused a problem apparently.
In the latest UE4 release the engines handles this differently hence why i was so confused if i was missing something.

Thank you for your time & response ? 

Archived