Ignore Player - Chat Option

GreenRoc

Suggestion

Ignore Player - Chat Option

SUGGESTION: Option to /ignore specific players in the chat box, so their chat will not appear on my screen.

I "need" the ability to ignore specific players in the official Chat Box.

I did a search and did not see any suggestion of this. If there is one, please move my post to the correct thread.

Why:

To explain why this is a "need" for me, I am going to dive into very real parts of my life that people discourage me from discussing on public forums, and many disbelieve (for idk why reason). but I dont hide, especially when it is something very important to me. People could learn from this too. I like to help.

I am 42 years old. I am autistic. I am not making a joke. I dont do jokes (except for the occasional pun, some people call Dad Jokes). It is a Neurological Condition. My brain works differently than a non-autistic mind. I also suffer from Fight-or-Flights, also known as Autistic Meltdowns or Adult Autistic Meltdowns. My meltdowns can be set off by a multitude of external stimuli. The most common trigger for my meltdowns are other people, usually things they say that arent nice.

So, I "need" to put some people on ignore.

"But green, just close the chat." But then, I cannot see Tribe chat, or ally chat, or chat from my friends, or chat from nice people. I seek social, I like to play on servers with other people, this is my joy, heck I am even going to TwitchCon, because I love the positive energy that comes off people. I have over 13,000 hours in ark, mostly from Official. I have tried to quit official, many times, but I am just drawn back to it because of the fantastic people that thrive here. My friends, people who understand me, people who are kind. People are important.

But some people, are so cruel, and poke me in just the right way to cause me to lose control. I had a meltdown, I lost control of most of my conscious skills. Impulse took over, rage spat out against those who were cruel. But many thought I was just faking it, being an irresponsible child, trying to cause drama, when I was none of those. It was an adult meltdown (see article I link below). Some people in global were so cruel to me during this episode, they told me to uninstall -_-

I like to see kind people's chats, they bring delight into my life that sees so little delights (yes I hate life, most of it sucks, Ark cheers me up, but it is not perfect). How can I enjoy the delightful chat, when there is a plague of cruelty in the same place? There is no option here, not yet.

To have global open to my eyes is like a ticking time bomb. Eventually I see chatter from mean people, people who like to mess with other people, people who trigger my fight-or-flights.

I need to be able to /ignore these people, people whose words set off my meltdowns. Words do set off my meltdowns. It is a painful, embarasing thing to experience. Words do hurt me, I am still in pain from what happened, real, literal, physical pain. I do not make jokes. I do not exaggerate. This is very real.

Why cant I just mentally ignore?
I am like a Duck born without the oil to roll stuff off my back. I have been to countless therapies over the last four decades to learn this thing that most other people seem to have the ability to do: mentally ignore. I would like to have that ability too. I am 42, and still see no sign of this ability, even after spending thousands of dollars and countless hours on therapy to help train me to mentally ignore. No progress, nada, no matter how much money I spend, or time I spend, no therapy has ever gifted me with this gift that seems to be so easy for most everyone else.

With the options we have in Ark's chat, it's all chat or nothing.
I cant mentally filter. The game has no filter options, it's all or nothing.

I need to be able to ignore people's chats, specific people, if I want to enjoy the pleasures of kind people without the risk of losing control of myself.

I type this as I am recovering from a really bad meltdown that happened within the last hour. It was set off by someone in the chat on the server I am on, who repeatedly poked my trauma reminder, and I completely lost control. At some point, I ran over to my door (irl), beat it repeatedly with my hands, flat palms on flat surface, screamed so loud and so sharply that my throat hurts. I cough, and type while my hands are sore from the uncontrollable beating of the door. I had an autistic meltdown, set off by someone in global chat on an official server.

If you are curious to know more about what a meltdown is, there is this article that someone wrote that is a very accurate description of what I deal with, what I have to be concerned about everyday of my life, and I NEVER want to have:

www.beccalory.com/still-not-tantrum-ever-elusive-adult-meltdown/

As long as I want to chat with people I enjoy chatting with, and enjoy eye candy that makes me very happy, in a place where there are people who trigger me, this threat of a meltdown is present as long as I cant hide their chatter. I HAVE TO keep the global turned off, because it is a threat to my real life physical health.
I have some private chat in DM over steam with some of these friends in the same server, but I miss all those who are in global who are awesome people, and want help with stuff, and I like to help.

I need an /ignore so I can hide chat from specific users, without hiding chat of other awesome people.

Thank you to everyone who cares to understand. I appreciate it.
The more people understand, the better my life is.

TL;DR:
Please Wildcard, make the chat safe for me. Add an /ignore option.

2 replies to this server topic

Ignore option In-Game

Hi,
So after playing for way to long on this game (and still enjoying half of every second)...
It would be Great to be able to ignore people in-game.
Because after playing for several hours in a row (i know not healthy),
And getting the chat spammed by squares the whole time it gets frustrating and annoying.
Specially if its from the same tribe and they refuse to use tribe chat.

Spoiler

3ExPkVY.png

Me and some people on the server have asked several times nicely and polite to talk in tribe chat.
And they just ignore it.
Yes, there is the option to hide the chat completely.
But this removes the point of communicating with people that actually do talk in non-Square-Language.

Block possibility

Dear wildcard team,

it would be nice if there is a way to give players in Ark on block.

You have to be offended by players who don't have respect or anything else, or there are just stupid comments.

For example, you ask Chinese players to write in the Tribe or Alliance chat, but as already mentioned, stupid comments. We can only read boxes and they write all day, sometimes you read trade partners or other.

Please, if there is the possibility to block players in Ark directly, please insert this.

Many thanks and greetings from Vienna

Archived